Visa for Laos - in Dollars or Thai Baht ?

crazygreg44

The family and me are planning a trip via Chong Mek to the Si Phan Don ( 4000 Islands on the Mekong).

My question is, does one still need 25 / 35 (?) US Dollars for the Laos tourist visa ? Or can you pay in Thai Baht ? I got 6$ in two bills on me, and it's quite complicated to get Baht exchanged for US Dollars here in the dear province of Kantharalak. They gotta order them from the Bangkok branch !

Also, can I drive a car (my Thailand registered pickup) in Laos with my Thai driver's license, or do I need an international driver's license ?

Not that it is overly important to do the trip by own car . .as I expect many minibuses and their drivers waiting for business across the Chong Mek border. Could actually be more relaxing to use a local driver.

I am looking forward to replies.

I drove my old pickup through the Chong Mek border a couple of years ago and paid everything in Baht. They actually prefer Baht to $$ because you end up paying more than you would if it was Dollars.

One thing you have to make sure of, is that your cars passport gets stamped in for the amount of time that you are spending in Laos. I seem to remember my car got stamped in for only 3 days at Savanakette and I did not notice. I still got thorough after they realized it was a genuine mistake on my part. Oh, and don't forget to drive on the right:)

You have always been able to pay in thai baht at a Laos border crossing and as mentioned it is generally preferred than US $ as it is more expensive for you and thus a little extra for them when converted back to the official US $ fee.

On the drivers license issue and taking the thai vehicle into Laos I recollect 1 or 2 threads in this sub-forim where the process and fees are explained . Do a quick search of road trips into Laos.

thanks a lot for all the advice folks.

I run a subforum search as suggested and found a thread that said, my Thai driver's license in fact is an ASEAN license, so there's no need of an International Driver's License.

Some suggested driving your own car can be fun, one third would not recommend it, and another third recommended going the easiest way and hire minibus and laotian driver, for the peace of mind on a self guided tour.

Since there is some paperwork to obtain plus the insurance involved, weighing it out against the hiring option I'd say I like the idea. I did it many years ago way up from Vientiane to Vang Vieng as a round trip, and i found the minibus experience relaxing. You arrive at sightseeing spots freshly and uncharred.

Again , kudos to everyone . . .

You have always been able to pay in thai baht at a Laos border crossing and as mentioned it is generally preferred than US $ as it is more expensive for you and thus a little extra for them when converted back to the official US $ fee.

On the drivers license issue and taking the thai vehicle into Laos I recollect 1 or 2 threads in this sub-forim where the process and fees are explained . Do a quick search of road trips into Laos.

Not so Sir,28 years ago they insisted on USD, often some Thai Banks tried to rip me off ,just to get a few Dolars to cross over.

Not so Sir,28 years ago they insisted on USD, often some Thai Banks tried to rip me off ,just to get a few Dolars to cross over.

Happy to stand corrected given the relevance of something which happened 28 years ago.......

for Americans $35 or 1,500 baht

For ur car, you need to go to the transport office ( where u pay for your tags and tax yearly) and obtain the cars PURPLE book which is the cars passport. PLus your cars blue registration book

Purplecarbook.jpg

without this u will not be allowed into Laos. It takes 1 day to get an cost 50 baht

The purple booked is stamped out of Thailand at Customs AND immigration and into Laos. YOU then MUST buy insurnace as if ur stopped and dont have it.....

Easy driving in Laos bu dont forget ur on the OTHER side!!