Water Supply quality-well or mains?

I am on the committee of a 22 yo condo building.

We have well water only, and it is often coming out very dirty, possibly related to heavy rains.

It looks like not mud but possibly organic matter as it almost floats.

So the JP asked a pretty serious plumbing compnay in to do a survey.

They said they would do an analysis which pleased me.

The analysis came back and was only for inorganic, nothing about bacteria, which didn't please me.

They have offered a plan to overhaul the well system for 105,000 baht.

Last week a committee member proposed accepting the plan.

I strongly objected saying we need to do an integrated upgrade or at least survey of the whole septic system and drains at the same time as the pipes and tanks are intermingled and the channel drains are dangerous I fell in myself.

No no we can't wait.

But said I we can simply connect to the public water supply temporarily for a few baht and the cost of a meter.

In fact we're in the 21st century we could look at forgetting the well especially as there is also a brown water soakaway on the property.

"I will never ever drink public water" almost shouted one committee member, standing up to emphasise the depth of his emotions. He has really strong health objections to city water and presumably is relying that the filter system for the well will perform well (sic) for ever. We weren't informed about the current filter material change schedule or if just doing this might solve the problem.

And the committee passed the plan.

Naturally this entails ongoing maintenance and expense for filtration etc.

Does our health conscious committee member have a case for not using city water temporarily or permanently?

Edited by cheeryble

Maybe hard to do in a condo situation, but where I live we have well and water piped in.

Due to all the chemicals used in the surrounding farm land, we choose not to drink from either source.

The only water we drink andcook with is collected rain water stored in cisterns.

It's safe and actually tastes better than bottled water.

Edited by willyumiii

Actually I wrote wrong he didn't say "I'll never ever drink public water"

He said he wouldn't USE it I think.

In any case I'd be interested if anyone can supply a criticism of city water compared to water drawn from under a condo building.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

First-up, I would get a second opinion on the water analysis - not someone with a vested interest - even though they may well (no pun intended) have your interests at heart.

Secondly, has anyone done a cost comparison on the well and it's operating costs as compared to town water.

Finally, which ever method you decide on I would think that you would need to use / should use secondary in-house treatment to ensure safe drinking water. Anyone drinking water direct from the well without in-house treatment is running a huge risk (in my opinion)

• 1 month later...

Please don't keep us in suspense ... what was the outcome ... I see that you are still alive ... and in good health?

I'm sorry JAS I've been remiss....

What happened was we agreed in committee that I, as the one who was trained as a physicist, worked as a chemist, and have actually been a corgi registered plumber.....an unlikely combination which may not make me an expert on filtration etc but makes me almost ideally suited to consult and monitor, I was asked by the chairman to consult with the building surveyor (who I have grave reservations about given he has passed by septic tanks having their inspection/suction lids being permanently closed for years and unbelievably passed a new fire riser spout within two feet of a spaghetti wiring mess) and the water company.

So what happened is I was completely bypassed by the JP who happens to live with the water skeptic and they went and organised an overhaul and many times failed to answer any emails from me requesting information and suggesting proper water sampling etc to find the source of contamination and to be made a matter of routine checking. So that filter change was eventually done. Within a couple of weeks we got more complaints the water was just as dirty. Something more has happened since then but we are all kept in ignorance of what it is and when the chairman called an urgent meeting largely to discuss water they failed to turn up despite that the Temporary JP is paid.

So we had filthy water for many weeks because the democratic process was ignored. To my mind all residents were put at risk because one unqualified owner thought he knew better than the WHO about chlorinated water which we need only have used temporarily if we wished.

We are looking forward to the next AGM to change things.

Edited by cheeryble

How can they agree this without first putting it to the agm. Secondly for transparency purposes shouldn't you have 3 quotes to put to the agm. Frankly committees can be a nightmare, personality clashes, a lot of self interest etc..

It doesn't have to go to the AGM.

It can be done by the JP as an emergency.

The point is if you're a JP with absolutely no experience and the committee asks that a particular member is consulted as the lead on something and that member makes himself available for appointment why would you ignore it unless you have problems with the democratic process?

(ps did you live in Chelsea I used to live in Bramerton St and practically lived in Chelsea Arts Club?)

a falang cannot know more than a thai in thailand..someone is loosing face..

Unfortunately this is true.

Can't tell you how many times I was initially ignored or told that it has to be done the Thai way.I ended up being the chairman and I sign the cheques,I have an element of control.

Frankly I don't think it is a good idea a foreigner being chairman, but..

Being on a committee is a thankless task.

a falang cannot know more than a thai in thailand..someone is loosing face..

Unfortunately this is true.

Can't tell you how many times I was initially ignored or told that it has to be done the Thai way.I ended up being the chairman and I sign the cheques,I have an element of control.

Frankly I don't think it is a good idea a foreigner being chairman, but..

Being on a committee is a thankless task.

watch out doing to mutch work..workpermit is needed...

There is no doubt the Thai law is actually made to accommodate farang as committee members and officers, and I've never seen immigration hassle anyone on this they would stay well out of it IMO not interested.

The position of JP for a farang....and they have existed....is a more arguable issue as it is explicitly and executive position.

Again if unpaid I am sure Immigration would want nothing to do with it but if some disgruntled Thai wanted to report them I'm not sure how it would come out.

Edited by cheeryble
  • Like 1

There is no doubt the Thai law is actually made to accommodate farang as committee members and officers, and I've never seen immigration hassle anyone on this they would stay well out of it IMO not interested. The position of JP for a farang....and they have existed....is a more arguable issue as it is explicitly and executive position. Again if unpaid I am sure Immigration would want nothing to do with it but if some disgruntled Thai wanted to report them I'm not sure how it would come out.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2009/article7198.html whistling.gif

Thankyou for that Falkan

Mr Nixon was of course acting as JP not just on the committee, and once again the It is actually the legislature's fault for not writing the law properly.....there are many very vague and undefined areas in the condo act indeed it's pathetic actually. Always wonder why legislators think they're above explicit and clear examples of actions which require general votes which would seem eminently helpful.

This pathetic infighting and backstabbing in condos is ubiquitous I'm afraid you get your representative sample of oddballs from a population of sometimes many hundreds.

I would love to hear from James Nixon what happened afterwards,,,,..anyone can get in touch with him?.....but I'll put money on a guess:

That, like about all problems here, it all went away in the end.

ps sorry we appear to have hijacked my own thread haha....but it is interesting stuff.

Edited by cheeryble

Mr Nixon obviously wasn't executed or even too put out as he made a hole in one at the local golf course a couple days later 28th March 2009 well done that man!! Wonder how the charming owner who ratted on him made out. One imagines people like this on their deathbed listing the wonderful achievements they've made in this precious life. "I sure showed him!"

http://www.lochpalm.com/redmountain/index.php/golf-course/hole-in-one

Again....would love to hear the outcome about him being JP

Edited by cheeryble