Bangkok Bank and the Embassy of your Country.

Two or three months ago, a poster recommended the Paragon branch of the Bangkok Bank for opening an account as the manager is Farang friendly. They must now have a new manager, as when I asked about opening an account, I was told to go to my countries Embassy (the UK) and get a letter from them at a cost of 1.200 Baht. I just told them there and then I would take my business elsewhere, without even asking what the letter was to be about.

Next stop the branch at the Emporium. As I walked in the door, the first thing I saw was a notice saying "we care for you wherever you are" I sat down and said to the Customer Adviser " I would like to open an account, can you please tell me what is required?". She said "of course, you need your passport and a Thai driving licence", expecting to be asked for a "letter" from my Embassy, I said 'is that all'? I asked, "that's all", she said.

I was then taken to another desk, asked for my passport and Thai driving licence, after handing them over, she then asked me if I had a UK driving Licence, I said yes, but not with me."Do you have a Bangkok address"? I said no, she said I needed a Bangkok address. I said "get me your boss now" the boss comes and backs up everything the girl told me. I asked her to follow me, she did, and I pointed to the sign which said "we care for you wherever you are" Oh I am very sorry, but we cannot give you an account, or words to that effect. I just turned and walked out.

The Bangkok Bank??? What a joke.

Why? I'd think it is pretty standard to be able show proof of an address. I'm defending Bangkok Bank, but I don't think they are asking for the moon.

I have accounts with them, and my first account I opened was 10 years ago on a tourist visa, but then they didn't seem to really bother about having loads of documents.

Why? I'd think it is pretty standard to be able show proof of an address. I'm defending Bangkok Bank, but I don't think they are asking for the moon.

I have accounts with them, and my first account I opened was 10 years ago on a tourist visa, but then they didn't seem to really bother about having loads of documents.

Of course you should have proof of your address, I had the blue book with me. Is the UK Embassy the only place you can get proof of your address? That's if they actually know it. Does any other bank demand a letter from your Embassy? I see you have not commented on my experience with the Emporium branch.

I have opened my first account with them 2 weeks ago in Central Chonburi. I showed my passport, they realized that I am on Visa excempt, short talk with manager, GF had to sign "guarantee" for me living at her address (which was true then) and out with my Visa ATM card after 15 minutes. Just shows how different each branch deals qith farang accounts - and how helpfull it is to have the GF with you...

Sent from my HTC One XL using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why don't you try the Bangkok Bank branch in the HQ Bangkok Bank building on Silom Road. The branch is on the first floor...deals with tons of farangs....I have two accounts there....floor 2 and up are related to the headquarters operation.

I've opened accounts more than once on a visa exempt 30 day stamp at the Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai without any hassle at all. When they asked for an address i just gave them that of the hotel I was staying in. Pointing out the failings of people who you asking to provide you with service is never a very sensible way of going about things.

Edited by sustento
  • Like 1

I said "get me your boss now"

Because you thought he was going to do what?

Sounds like you had a bit of an attitude.

I asked her to follow me, she did, and I pointed to the sign which said "we care for you wherever you are"

And they still weren't keen to have you as a regular customer? Golly, the mystery deepens.

Frankly I'm surprised this poor woman and the manager were running around and as polite to you as they were.

Sounds a bit like a fantasy scenario.

Not quite the coda I would have come up.

• Like 1

OP what address did you want to give them?

I think every bank will ask for some proof of address - just as you needed to get the DL in the first place.....

Kasikorn, Pattaya (branch near Villa Market), Passport, Thai mobile number, hotel address = account and ATM card 15-20 minutes.

When I opened my Bangkok Bank account years ago, I did it at the main branch on Silom Road. As I recall, the place for opening accounts is in the basement. I certainly had to provide my passport and an address but I didn't have to show 'proof' of address. Not sure why they would ask for a driver's license - makes no sense to me.

Of course you should have proof of your address, I had the blue book with me. Is the UK Embassy the only place you can get proof of your address? That's if they actually know it. Does any other bank demand a letter from your Embassy? I see you have not commented on my experience with the Emporium branch.

You went there looking for disagreement and you found it.

At no point in your opening account did you advise that you had a blue book. You went through what you did step by step. Did you deliberately keep the blue book from the clerk in order to see what the reaction would be.

If your address is in a different province from the branch you're trying to open the account in, then they won't do it.

The banking system in Thailand is divided up into provinces. They're almost like separate entities, or at least divisions of the same company.

I opened my Bangkok Bank account in Chiang Saen, in Chiang Rai province (that's where our house is) using my wife's Tabien Baan as the address proof (she also has an account in that branch). I couldn't have used that to open an account in Bangkok, neither could she.

They all seem to want different things. There are many, many threads, or posts about people's differing experiences opening accounts.

It seems that the best thing to do is to keep going to different branches/banks until one of them lets you open one.

Hope you get it sorted :)

I think every bank will ask for some proof of address - just as you needed to get the DL in the first place.....

I wanted to give my proper address in Phichit province, and had the blue book, as soon as you walk in the door, the first thing you see is "we care for you wherever you are" on the wall behind the customer advisers. That is nothing but lies.

Why don't you try the Bangkok Bank branch in the HQ Bangkok Bank building on Silom Road. The branch is on the first floor...deals with tons of farangs....I have two accounts there....floor 2 and up are related to the headquarters operation.

That's a good idea Pib, I know about that bank. The reason I went to the branch at the Paragon was because a poster on this forum said the manager there was Farang friendly. That was only a short time ago. I can only imagine they have changed their manager. After that nonsense with these idiots at the Emporium branch, I just got fed up and said to myself "what is the point". It's not that I do not have a bank account, I do with my local Kasikorn, but the Bangkok bank itself got a lot of good press on this thread, and also they have a branch in London which would make it a lot easier to transfer money.

I've opened accounts more than once on a visa exempt 30 day stamp at the Bangkok Bank in Chiang Mai without any hassle at all. When they asked for an address i just gave them that of the hotel I was staying in. Pointing out the failings of people who you asking to provide you with service is never a very sensible way of going about things.

I see where you are coming from about giving them the address of your hotel. They told me they would accept any Bangkok address, family friends etc. Amazing Bangkok Bank. I did not point out any failings until they said I could not have an account.

How were you dressed Possum? biggrin.png

Perhaps your dress had a detrimental effect? I've got an account there and always wear short pants when I visit. I believe that's the key to opening an account at the Emporium Branch of Bangkok Bank

I was waiting for this, I was wearing my shorts rolled up above my knees to show off the Tattoos on my leg, was wearing a simmet to show off the tattoos on my arms, did not shave for a week. Nothing I could do about my stomach though.

I said "get me your boss now"

Because you thought he was going to do what?

Sounds like you had a bit of an attitude.

I asked her to follow me, she did, and I pointed to the sign which said "we care for you wherever you are"

And they still weren't keen to have you as a regular customer? Golly, the mystery deepens.

Frankly I'm surprised this poor woman and the manager were running around and as polite to you as they were.

Sounds a bit like a fantasy scenario.

Not quite the coda I would have come up.

I do have an attitude when I am treated unfairly, and remember, the attitude did not start until I was told I could not have an account. the sign says "we care for you wherever you are" I was entitled to have an attitude when I was told all I needed was my passport and Thai driving licence. If people would not tell me blatant lies, then I would not have an attitude.

I am sure the sign "we care for you wherever you are" only applies to account holders which you were not. So maybe not lies. smile.png

If that was the case, then that's what the sign should have said. "You" means anyone who walks in the door. Though I would accept it does not mean you will get an account. But just let me emphasis again. I was told I only needed my passport and Thai driving licence to open an account. She was definitely telling lies was she not?

Kasikorn, Pattaya (branch near Villa Market), Passport, Thai mobile number, hotel address = account and ATM card 15-20 minutes.

Yes Naam. same with me when I opened my account with my local Kasikorn, only not my hotel address, my home address.

When I opened my Bangkok Bank account years ago, I did it at the main branch on Silom Road. As I recall, the place for opening accounts is in the basement. I certainly had to provide my passport and an address but I didn't have to show 'proof' of address. Not sure why they would ask for a driver's license - makes no sense to me.

There would seem to be a few things that make no sense at Bangkok Bank.

You went there looking for disagreement and you found it.

At no point in your opening account did you advise that you had a blue book. You went through what you did step by step. Did you deliberately keep the blue book from the clerk in order to see what the reaction would be.

No, it would be very wrong to say I was looking for a disagreement. I just walked in the door at opening time and was immediately approached by a young woman, I asked it I could open an account, she told me I would have to go and get a letter from my Embassy. I just said I will take my business elsewhere. It was obvious that this was a new rule as that was the first thing she asked me.

If your address is in a different province from the branch you're trying to open the account in, then they won't do it.

The banking system in Thailand is divided up into provinces. They're almost like separate entities, or at least divisions of the same company.

I opened my Bangkok Bank account in Chiang Saen, in Chiang Rai province (that's where our house is) using my wife's Tabien Baan as the address proof (she also has an account in that branch). I couldn't have used that to open an account in Bangkok, neither could she.

They all seem to want different things. There are many, many threads, or posts about people's differing experiences opening accounts.

It seems that the best thing to do is to keep going to different branches/banks until one of them lets you open one.

Hope you get it sorted smile.png

Thanks, I appreciate you being nice about it.

The banker explain to me go to 'tourist ares' like Pattaya open account there no questions ask. It's works!

Yes, but I do not go the Pattaya that often, although I do go to Bangkok frequently, and there are times when you have to go to the bank in person.