Hh Van Service To / From Bangkok

Netfan

First, I know this won't change a thing, its just a rant. (And perhaps a warning to those with heart conditions). I've used the HH-BKK mini-van service since it began a few years ago. the driving has always been bad, but in 3 times this week: First trip up- no air-con, no shocks, insane driver. 2nd trip up, insane driver, but just before the Rama 2 mall we're going about 100 and suddenly we drop to 60, then 30. I look over (i'm in the death seat) and our driver has fallen asleep at the wheel. i said, in my most polite thai "excuse me, but is it a good idea to be asleep right now?" loud enough to wake him up (and the rest of the pasengers). after jerking back out of his little dream world he gave me the typical smile and laugh. then to prove he was awake he sped up, got to within a foot of the car in front of us and tailgated until the thai woman sitting next to me told him to slow down. anther smile and laugh. finally, a return trip, in the rain, passing trucks on the left, swerving between lanes, etc. The thing that gets me (aside from my own stupidity) is the complete lack of the any sense by the drivers that "hey, i've got the lives of 14 people in my hands". I mean, i change the way i ride my bike if i've got a passenger on the back.

every time i'm in one of these vans i tell myself "never again". then every time its time to go to the big city its "hmm, blue bus? too slow, southern bus station too far. dusit van? just raised the price to 600 baht, time not convenient. train? ha. taxi? 1800-2000 baht. too expensive."

for price, schedule, location in bangkok - the van has it. but one of these times.....

just wondering if anyone else goes through this....

So does anyone have an opionion on the safest , fastest and a comfortable way to get from Hua Hin to Bangkok?

I've heard the buses are fine...but slow.

The train is even slower and never at a decent hour.

Do they have any of those big double deck buses that make the trip?

The OP has a good point, and he's not the first with such complaints. I've had good enough luck the two times I've gone on the mini-bus. As the OP points out, the other options are even worse. And at least the mini-bus connects to the BTS skytrain at Victory Monument. However, the "station" for minibuses in Hua Hin is not at a convenient place for those of us who live south of town.

What VIP bus? I'm only familiar with the 149 baht first class and the slightly cheaper 2nd class buses. Although with the current fuel crisis, prices have probably gone up.

The OP has a good point, and he's not the first with such complaints. I've had good enough luck the two times I've gone on the mini-bus. As the OP points out, the other options are even worse. And at least the mini-bus connects to the BTS skytrain at Victory Monument. However, the "station" for minibuses in Hua Hin is not at a convenient place for those of us who live south of town.

What VIP bus? I'm only familiar with the 149 baht first class and the slightly cheaper 2nd class buses. Although with the current fuel crisis, prices have probably gone up.

I've only ever driven to HH but a quick Google gave this...

http://www.thailand-ticket.de/thailand-tra...t-bus-train.htm http://www.travelfish.org/transport/thaila...han/hua_hin/all

http://www.transport.co.th/Eng/SOUTH4.htm

It seems only second class A/C but better than the dreaded mini bus?

The train from Hualompang (sp) in downtown BKK/chinatown goes to Hua Hin several times a day, and it returns, but many coaches don't have air/con or convenient times. If you're connecting from elsewhere, some trains run an hour or two late. Two or three times, I've had to transfer at Ban Sue or elsewhere just to connect without missing the next train. But sometimes, it's convenient and works fine.

I've travelled from BKK to Buri-Ram by mini-bus on several occassions. Aside from the frequent stops and crowding, I've had few complaints. Has anyone rode the train out that way? how is that and what could I expect if I upgraded the tickets on that? Just curious...

I think the train is great. You have nice comfy chairs. Who needs aircon, just open a window. :o Great connections to everywhere in Bangkok when you stop in Ban Sue. The subwaystation is just a few meters walk, or use a taxi. Even the price is cheap. You will be catered with drinks and food if you wish. Take a book or newspaper with you and time will pass quickly.

Sometimes the train is a little late, no problem since i always travel with enough time available. It certainly beats the high risks of using mini vans. I had one experience on a visa run to Rayong. Some bends in the road where taken with only two wheels (no kidding!!). After a few words with the driver it went ok for a while, like 10 minutes, before the same driving was resumed. Since then no more mini vans. I survived it. I considered it a warning. Hearing that others have similar experiences i banned them forever.

I'll check into that on my next visit. My wife is going to have her brother bring her in our pick-up truck when I get there in June. We need to buy a few things in BKK to take home to the store and restaurant. I'll check into the train for my return to BKK though. It would be nice. I hear that they even have 1st class. Not sure what that would mean on a train, but looking on the website, the tickets certainly looked affordable.

They got them new crap mini-vans now that hold an extra 2 people by getting rid of the arm rests and making the seats thin and hard. harder suspension too for carrying heavy tools or the like, not good for people.

Greedy persons idea them. the 2 times i went they had 4 in a row on back seat with one sitting forward all the time as no room. cruel.

the vans look good on the outside but just a facade.

First, I know this won't change a thing, its just a rant. (And perhaps a warning to those with heart conditions). I've used the HH-BKK mini-van service since it began a few years ago. the driving has always been bad, but in 3 times this week: First trip up- no air-con, no shocks, insane driver. 2nd trip up, insane driver, but just before the Rama 2 mall we're going about 100 and suddenly we drop to 60, then 30. I look over (i'm in the death seat) and our driver has fallen asleep at the wheel. i said, in my most polite thai "excuse me, but is it a good idea to be asleep right now?" loud enough to wake him up (and the rest of the pasengers). after jerking back out of his little dream world he gave me the typical smile and laugh. then to prove he was awake he sped up, got to within a foot of the car in front of us and tailgated until the thai woman sitting next to me told him to slow down. anther smile and laugh. finally, a return trip, in the rain, passing trucks on the left, swerving between lanes, etc. The thing that gets me (aside from my own stupidity) is the complete lack of the any sense by the drivers that "hey, i've got the lives of 14 people in my hands". I mean, i change the way i ride my bike if i've got a passenger on the back.

every time i'm in one of these vans i tell myself "never again". then every time its time to go to the big city its "hmm, blue bus? too slow, southern bus station too far. dusit van? just raised the price to 600 baht, time not convenient. train? ha. taxi? 1800-2000 baht. too expensive."

for price, schedule, location in bangkok - the van has it. but one of these times.....

just wondering if anyone else goes through this....

Just out of curiosity...what would you be willing to pay for a safe, comfortable, reliable, regularly-scheduled bus service between Hua Hin and Bangkok?

>>>>>out of curiosity...what would you be willing to pay for a safe, comfortable, reliable, regularly-scheduled bus service between Hua Hin and Bangkok?<<<<<<<

I just took the Dusit van BKK- Hua Hin. left Dusit BKK 3:00 pm, arrived Hua Hin (ok, Cha-am) 5:30. Once here, the Dusit will take you wherever you want in the area in their small van for no charge. The price is 600 baht, its comfortable (new Benz van), the driver drives safely. Only drawback is it only goes each way once a day; but for now that's how i am travelling back and forth....