Bangkok's "Starbung" coffee vendor defies multinational

webfact

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that the lack of legislation in the realms of fair trading in this country needs addressing. If you wanted to open a fish and chip shop in the UK you would need to be a certain distance from an established fish and chip shop before you could even apply, and rightly so. What is fair about spending years building up a successful concern for someone to do the same next door. Here you could come up with a great product to sell, invest your savings and BOOM you have 5 shops opening up on your doorstep. The place is just a disorganized jumble sale as it stands.

And that's why Thailand's economy is "boom"ing (even despite cheats at the top running the country) life is actually good here.

The UK economy sucks and life in the UK is horrible.

post-110827-0-34878100-1382580462_thumb.

I have to say that the lack of legislation in the realms of fair trading in this country needs addressing. If you wanted to open a fish and chip shop in the UK you would need to be a certain distance from an established fish and chip shop before you could even apply, and rightly so. What is fair about spending years building up a successful concern for someone to do the same next door. Here you could come up with a great product to sell, invest your savings and BOOM you have 5 shops opening up on your doorstep. The place is just a disorganized jumble sale as it stands.

And that's why Thailand's economy is "boom"ing (even despite cheats at the top running the country) life is actually good here.

The UK economy sucks and life in the UK is horrible.

While I agree the UK can be horrible, beggars in the street like the one in your picture are ever present in Bangkok. Never less than three separate beggars on the bridge that leads into Central Bang Na. If that is the basis for an economy that sucks Thailand is indeed in trouble.

The taste cant be worse than starbucks shit awful stuff bah.gif

So many similar silly Posts on this Thread.

Starbucks is a Multi-BILLION Dollar Company, serving hundreds of thousands of Coffees a DAY, worldwide - they are obviously doing a LOT right.

However on Threads like this dozens of know-it-all TEFLERS and other hand-to-mouth denizens of Thailand suddenly spring out of the bushes and explain / complain that Starbucks is selling a rubbish Product and of course - by implication - THEY could do better.

coffee1.gif (Pun intended!)

Patrick

• Like 2

Starbucks is a Multi-BILLION Dollar Company, serving hundreds of thousands of Coffees a DAY, worldwide - they are obviously doing a LOT right.

However on Threads like this dozens of know-it-all TEFLERS and other hand-to-mouth denizens of Thailand suddenly spring out of the bushes and explain / complain that Starbucks is selling a rubbish Product and of course - by implication - THEY could do better.

Patrick

"dozens of know-it-all TEFLERS and other hand-to-mouth denizens of Thailand suddenly spring out of the bushes" clap2.gif

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Love it!!cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

The truth is Starbucks for sure is right in this dispute, but public (especially Muslim public) sympathy, inspired by leftist anti-corporate discourse, is for sure on Starbung's side.

1) Nobody like copyright protectors

2)Nobody like corporations nowadays, even if they protect there property

3) Nobody like American corporations even more

Very vulnerable position and bad publicity. A person in Starbucks who started this should be fired immediately..

The truth is Starbucks for sure is right in this dispute, but public (especially Muslim public) sympathy, inspired by leftist anti-corporate discourse, is for sure on Starbung's side.

Very vulnerable position and bad publicity. A person in Starbucks who started this should be fired immediately..

You forgot number four in your list. Here you go!

4) This dispute is occurring in the land of Fake-Copy-Steal.

• Like 1

You forgot number four in your list. Here you go!

4) This dispute is occurring in the land of Fake-Copy-Steal.

Yeah, as if Thailand were a bastion of copyright and trademark laws. coffee1.gif

The Starbung guy will be crushed in the long run. Starbucks has much deeper pockets and takes great pleasure in protecting their brand. Public sentiment, meh, doesn't mean much in this case.

What does "Muslim" have to do with anything?

"Bung" is a honorific title used in the Muslim community.

take a look at all the people that supported this guy before he told the world he was a muslim, now most people could not care less about him, this reflects the way, a lot of people feel about muslims, just the way it is, thank god i'm an atheist !!!!!!

If Starbucks wins a monetary award, how likely is it that they will be able to collect on the judgement?

I'd guess about likely as their being able to enforce the desist injunction the seem to already have.

...blood... from a stone.

"However on Threads like this dozens of know-it-all TEFLERS and other hand-to-mouth denizens of Thailand suddenly spring out of the bushes and explain / complain that Starbucks is selling a rubbish Product and of course - by implication - THEY could do better.

coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif (Pun intended!)"

Sorry, what pun? I missed it.

"However on Threads like this dozens of know-it-all TEFLERS and other hand-to-mouth denizens of Thailand suddenly spring out of the bushes and explain / complain that Starbucks is selling a rubbish Product and of course - by implication - THEY could do better.

The little emoticon guy is drinking coffee. Undoubtedly, Starbucks coffee! laugh.png

The little emoticon guy is drinking coffee. Undoubtedly, Starbucks coffee! laugh.png

Thank you!

Glad someone's awake lol.

Patrick

• Like 1

If Starbucks wins a monetary award, how likely is it that they will be able to collect on the judgement?

I'd guess about likely as their being able to enforce the desist injunction the seem to already have.

...blood... from a stone.

That's not the critical point of importance for Starbucks. The action that Starbucks is taking is to protect their trademark, not solely in this instance but in the future also. This is for cases in the future where someone opens a chain of coffee shops named Starbiks and plasters the Starbucks logo all over them.

When some attorney for these "Starbiks" shops tries to tell a judge " But Starbucks let bunghole-boy in Bangkok use a copy of their logo! ", the Starbucks attorney will be able to say " No, that is incorrect. Here's a copy of the "cease and desist" letter we sent to bunghole-boy. Here are copies of the legal actions we filed in court against bunghole-boy. ", etc, etc. Even if their legal actions against bunghole-boy are not successful here in the land of Fake-Copy-Steal, they still must go through the motions.

Patrick

Respectfully disagree Patrick.

Sure, they are selling plenty for their $5 or $6 cup of coffee, amongst those being image, environs etc which add a touch of 'luxury' to every day life. That it is accompanied by 650ml of coffee flavoured milk is beside the point.

Marketing genius? Certainly.

That there are willing customers? More than fine.

But good coffee? No.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

Patrick

I know a lot about coffee and Starbucks tastes like cat piss, That's my honest opinion, I can only guess why its all so popular? probably because its so overpriced & wannabe Hi-so's think its posh, I guess?

Patrick

Respectfully disagree Patrick.

Sure, they are selling plenty for their $5 or $6 cup of coffee, amongst those being image, environs etc which add a touch of 'luxury' to every day life. That it is accompanied by 650ml of coffee flavoured milk is beside the point.

Marketing genius? Certainly.

That there are willing customers? More than fine.

But good coffee, no?

Well said, Samran. nail on the head.

• Like 1

Patrick

I know a lot about coffee and Starbucks tastes like cat piss, That's my honest opinion, I can only guess why its all so popular? probably because its so overpriced & wannabe Hi-so's think its posh, I guess?

Those that can do! Those that can't become critics and say "I know a lot about coffee and Starbucks tastes like cat piss...".

Sure. Right. You know a lot about coffee. laugh.pnglaugh.png

That's why that new chain of "New Monkey Coffee Shops" is giving Starbucks so much competition. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif