question about a tourist wants to get a motorbike license

susanschwaiger

Hello,

My friend has come to Thailand with her European passport and she can stay here for 1 month without any visa.

Can she apply for a motorbike driving license? If yes, what are the requirements for tourists?

Thanks a lot in advance. Last night, she already got a penalty for 500 baht.

Susan

Fined for no license? I've never even been asked for one in 3 years living here!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You have been lucky then.

OP have a look here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/633320-requirements-for-obtaining-and-renewing-a-1-year-driving-licence/ -

pinned at the top of this forum, a much longer thread in the motor forum and a couple of separate recent threads on driving licences if you search for them.

Lots of people manage with a visa waiver as long as you get the residence certificate from Immigration. Requirements are the same -

Residence cert from Immigration (for which you will need proof of address and 2 photos)

Medical certificate (100 baht usually from any clinic)

Original passport and copy pages of TM6 or whatever that bit of paper is and entry stamp and copy of details page.

Original and photo copy of home country licence or home country IDP - both sides.

From memory that is it. Depending on phase of the moon etc. will depend on how much of the test process she has to go through. If really unlucky she will have to do everything and it may take several visits.

maybe I did not ask my question clearly.

What I want to know is: my friend has no tourist visa, only a stamp on her passport when she entered Thailand. In this case, is she qualified to do the application for motorbike license? Or she had to get a tourist visa first before she applies for license?

For the rest of the procedure, I already know because I got my motorbike license early this year. Of course, I have a long term visa ....

Thanks !

maybe I did not ask my question clearly.

What I want to know is: my friend has no tourist visa, only a stamp on her passport when she entered Thailand. In this case, is she qualified to do the application for motorbike license? Or she had to get a tourist visa first before she applies for license?

For the rest of the procedure, I already know because I got my motorbike license early this year. Of course, I have a long term visa ....

Thanks !

Yes she is qualified. The quirk is to get the residence certificate, but immigration are know to hand these out to visa waver tourists as well. Note though in the other tread, that the immigration officer actually called up to see if his son was living at the reported address, so you need to have that covered.

If your not staying that long,just have the international drivers permit,and A motorcycle license in your country and you'll make out fine.Shops will rent to you no problem.

I don't think we would even be reading this thread if the person had a motorcycle license and IDP from their home country.

To answer the question from the OP though, I am the one that just went with my son and got him a license with a Tourist Visa. I do not know if it can be done with a visa exempt. Maybe. Again, the most important thing is the Certificate of Residency from Immigration. Yes, the Immigration officer called the Landlord and the Juristic Person at my condo to verify that my son was living there with me, so make sure those people know that you are going for a license as well. One poster was correct though. It depends on the tide and moon as to what they will let you do. I wish you luck. Here in Pattaya there are checkpoints everywhere, and you will get stopped if you are in town, eventually. Sometimes twice a day.

• Like 1

Does she have a car license? If only here for a month then it seems like a waste of time going to get the license which would take at least 1 day, maybe more?. I have been pulled over many times before I got a Thai license and showed them my car license from back home. Then just waved on.

Does she have a car license? If only here for a month then it seems like a waste of time going to get the license which would take at least 1 day, maybe more?. I have been pulled over many times before I got a Thai license and showed them my car license from back home. Then just waved on.

Yes she has. That is a good way before she is able to get a motorbike license .