Is swim instructor and allowed profession for farangs in Thailand?

TianBlade

Hi, I was wondering if teaching swimming is a legally allowed profession for farangs (Caucasian foreignes) to take up (either employed or as a business owner) to pursue in Thailand?

Does anybody know the legal situation here? I know that some professions and business activities are excluded for foreigners, but I'm not sure about teaching swimming.

Thanks!

I wonder if one could teach a swimming course under the umbrella of a foundation. Obviously you can't do it for financial gain but a foundation can take donations. Anyone ever heard of this? I wonder if it would be considered social development. Isn't it the leading cause of accidental death for children?

Edited by ubonrthai

• 9 months later...

Dear Coach,

Sorry to interrupt.
I am looking for English speaking swimming coach in Pattaya.
I would like to ask, are you teaching in Pattaya?
And how much is it?

If you are willing to teach, please contact me by *email edited out*

Best Regards,
Jane

Edited by Scott
email edited out

If the OP is considering working as a swimming instructor at a school, then I have only seen Filipino/a swimming instructors in these roles, presumably because a NES is not required and hence the salary can be lower by employing a NNES.

In many schools (not just in Thailand), the swimming instructor is also qualified to teach other subjects, and a NES in such a 'double' role can therefore justify their higher salary. (My swimming instructor in the UK was also the Maths teacher).

We have had several native English swimming teachers and PE teachers. In general it is easier to find a Filipino for the position. Most of the native English speakers ended up in the classroom as staff left.

I do know of one NES who has taught swimming (and a few other PE courses) at a school for upwards of 15 -20 years. I believe he has had to fight tooth and nail to remain in that position, however.

I think this thread is about someone who wants to teach swimming outside of a formal educational setting. I have no idea if that is possible or not, but it technically should be. It is teaching and teaching isn't a restricted occupation.

There are so many things working against you here. 1) Thais want and think they can do this job, so it will be theirs when possible. 2) You could have the skill of Michael Phelps, they don't care, to them skill has about the same worth as 2 dead flies. I have never seen such a lack of respect for skill in my life. 3) Thai girls don't wear bikinis, I find this terribly troubling. You are pretty much screwed, just forget it.

Edited by isawasnake

Do you really think it would make a difference if they are caucasian or not?

Not sure who you are directing your comments at...

I am not talking about Caucasian or not - I mentioned NES or NNES, which is nothing to do with the race or colour of your skin.

...or do you think they have different laws for different races of people?

Er.. they do, in sofar as nationality is concerned. There are existing different employment laws for Lao, Myanmar and Khmer people, as opposed to 'westerners'. There are soon-to-be different laws for nationals from ASEAN countries.

In reality, the issue of nationality, skin colour and NES or NNES is very relevant to employment in Thailand.

Mods: I have no idea why these quotes/font size keep getting screwed up.....

Edited by simon43

Do you really think it would make a difference if they are caucasian or not?

Not sure who you are directing your comments at...

I am not talking about Caucasian or not - I mentioned NES or NNES, which is nothing to do with the race or colour of your skin.

...or do you think they have different laws for different races of people?

Er.. they do, in sofar as nationality is concerned. There are existing different employment laws for Lao, Myanmar and Khmer people, as opposed to 'westerners'. There are soon-to-be different laws for nationals from ASEAN countries.

In reality, the issue of nationality, skin colour and NES or NNES is very relevant to employment in Thailand.

Mods: I have no idea why these quotes/font size keep getting screwed up.....

I was directing my comments at the op

Hi, I was wondering if teaching swimming is a legally allowed profession for farangs (Caucasian foreignes) to take up (either employed or as a business owner) to pursue in Thailand?

Does anybody know the legal situation here? I know that some professions and business activities are excluded for foreigners, but I'm not sure about teaching swimming.

Thanks!

As you can see the OP clearly asks if the laws are different for "caucasian foreigners" which has nothing to do with nationality. There are plenty of Asian Americans, Australian Asians, British Asians, etc, etc.

BTW, ethnicity and nationality are two completely different things; which a lot of people (including yourself apparently) don't understand.

Now if the question had been "are nationals from the following countries.........allowed to teach swimming; then that would be a different ball of wax, however the OP clearly asks about race.

BTW, ethnicity and nationality are two completely different things; which a lot of people (including yourself apparently) don't understand.

Hmm, wrong assumption on your part. I am fully aware of the difference, as should anyone be who has completed primary school education....

Hmm, wrong assumption on your part. I am fully aware of the difference, as should anyone be who has completed primary school education....

Glad to hear, perhaps the op hasn't

• 1 year later...

I was paying a swim teacher for private lessons for my 2 girls, but he nicked of to Phuket. We need more teachers

I have a friend who is about to get her deep sea diving ticket and would like to teach swimming. She is thai and has very good English. She is near Pattaya.

A lot of racists and in fact, Thai people, think that people with black skin sink and those with white skin float. Needless to say, these same people don't want someone who sinks teaching their children to swim. I'd personally consider that(sinking) an advantage but I'm no expert. Salt water is also different than fresh water. Teaching people who don't speak your language might be difficult, not to mention people wearing jeans and tee shirts in the water vs. swimming apparel.