Bangkok: Online Furby doll seller gets 75-year jail term

webfact

"...hereby sentence you to 75 years..."......(shock and awe)......."...reduced to 37.5 years and a fine..."....(eye brows lifting, hint of a smile)......."...further reduced to 3 years probation..."....(grin)...... "...and 30 hours of community service"......(high fives all round and a cheeky wai to Exhibit A on display (Furby - blue colour). Ridiculous sentencing and waste of time on behalf of the sitting judges.

Post of the day.

I think the judge did an outstanding job... in making the Thai justice system look like a sick joke. 2 years suspended for murder because of "anger issues" and 75 years for selling dolls, death sentences followed by an immediate release on bail while appealing, and the list goes on.

No wonder Thai people have no faith in the "Rule of Law".

• Like 2

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"...hereby sentence you to 75 years..."......(shock and awe)......."...reduced to 37.5 years and a fine..."....(eye brows lifting, hint of a smile)......."...further reduced to 3 years probation..."....(grin)...... "...and 30 hours of community service"......(high fives all round and a cheeky wai to Exhibit A on display (Furby - blue colour). Ridiculous sentencing and waste of time on behalf of the sitting judges.

Post of the day.

I think the judge did an outstanding job... in making the Thai justice system look like a sick joke. 2 years suspended for murder because of "anger issues" and 75 years for selling dolls, death sentences followed by an immediate release on bail while appealing, and the list goes on.

No wonder Thai people have no faith in the "Rule of Law".

Careful. He is a big omniscient, all powerful pooyai and he will not be questioned by those less than him.

Fleece people out of 5M Baht = 75 years, no, 37.5 years, wait 0 years and 3 years probation.

Kill a cop in a speeding Ferrari = Mai Bpen Rai.

I think I understand the Thai legal system a little better now.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see what happens to the "Red Bull heir" who killed a cop. If Thai sentencing were proportionate to the crime committed (taking this case into account) he should get 12,000 life sentences. However we all know what money can do in Thailand, and he might get off with a week of double secret probation......

the same...nothing

No doubt all those Starbuck supporters on the forum will be clamouring for this level of sentencing in the "Starbung"case.

If Mr Starbung is not beheaded, we will consider it a miscarriage of justice!!whistling.gif

Sorry for the short post, but I am off for another $6 cup of cat-piss.coffee1.gif

Try Dean & Deluca, only $5 and far from cat piss.

Wow, make 5 million with 30 hours of work. Nice!

No wonder crooks flourish here, my girlfriend got swindled out of a cool million from a supplier that after getting the money said "Oops!, actually I don't have the merchandise you paid for, don't have money neither so ciao!". Absolutely no repercussions to that person of course.

Me thinks it was 75 DAYS jail, plus compensation, plus fines.

This was reduced to compensation, fines, and 30 hours community service.

Do the folks who bought the Furby's get to keep them? What to do with a few million baht worth of fake Furbys? Re- sell them I guess.

Twenty years ago the Nation was, if not exactly cutting-edge, at least an alternative to the staid old Bangkok Yawn. I fear Sootichai Yun has grown weary because nowadays it's hard to make any sense of the Nation's reportage, even on the rare occasions that it gets its facts right.

So actually the headline should read "Online fraudster scams B5 million, gets only probation."

The Nations copy editors should be shot.

In the old west shooting would have been to good for them. They would have hung them.

Thanks to her cooperation in the case, the jail term is reduced to 37 years and 6 months, on top of a fine of Bt62,500.

As this is her first criminal offence and all affected buyers are compensated, a 3-year probation is put in plce. She still has to pay the fine and honour a 30-hour social service order.

Not sure if they would have done it for the faulty reporting or their spelling.

I thought I was a bad speller.20.gif

I think it is a pretty fair settlement. Victims get fully compensated, she does community service plus probation, she pays 62.5K for court and investigation costs, and taxpayers do not have to support her for the next 37 years. It is a win-win situation.

Am I correct saying that it boils down to this: A pub owner who is responsible for 67 burned and trampled to death people and over 100 people injured with some of them having lost limbs (and now look like zombies) walks free; but a person who tricks some cash out of people by eventually not sending them the ordered and paid for merchandise gets a 75 year jail term, or at least would get it if the culprit would have been a ) uncooperative and b ) sentenced for some other offense earlier????

I think we should balance this out for good by locking the pub owner and his co-partners, all surviving Santika staff who is fully or partially responsible for locking exit 3, plus the band leader idiot who reportedly lit a firework on stage (given that he is still alive), along with 167 activated, blahblahing and babbling Furbies in a garage filled with styro-foam, grease, buckets full of diesel along with other highly flammable materials and force the cheating furby seller lady to set the whole thing on fire so she eventually breaks her parole thumbsup.gif

After the smoke has settled, we all know whom to appoint to announce that nobody died in the resulting inferno...

Justice my @$$...

Edited by catweazle
  • Like 1

75 years reduced to 30 hours community service - wow! My faith in the Thai justice service is.........

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Compassion reigns in the Kingdom

Furby dolls? serious fraud . . terrible stuff

Well if anyone might have thought that Thai judges do not yet wear pampers and should not be locked up to prevent them from getting lost in their own homes, they know right now. 75 years for a scam that netted a few hundred thousand baht, but leaving the billionaires like Sondhi who robbed Krung Thai from billions of dollars or the owner of PTI who screwed his creditors for billion of the hook. First we have a rich night club owner who is clearly guilty of bribing officials and sending hundreds of people to hospital or their death and he gets away. We get Ferrari drivers who happen to be family of the richest man in thailand who kills a policeman on duty and he is allowed to leave the country.

Maybe it is about time that these judges are forced to take an early pension so they can talk to their rabbit or canaries.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see what happens to the "Red Bull heir" who killed a cop. If Thai sentencing were proportionate to the crime committed (taking this case into account) he should get 12,000 life sentences. However we all know what money can do in Thailand, and he might get off with a week of double secret probation......

Because it's the first policeman who he drove dead, and the first time he left the scene, and the first time he hide in Singapore....... 3 minutes social community work must be ok

• Like 1

75 years - wow. My faith in the Thai justice system is fully restored now.

Read again. 75 years reduced to 30hrs community service. Now that's a Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So what you actually want to say is that a judge who is sentencing someone to 75 years than halves it because he or she confessed (or doubles it when you fight the case) and next commutes it to a fine of 125000 THB plus 30 hours community service by the way, that is almost the same as the Medical doctor got who beat his wife to death with a golfckub is senile? The problem is that she can't comment on it. If she does and thinks also the judge is nuts, she will be sued for libel, which will land her eventually in jail for 37.5 years. You must come from a land where justice is a game like the US and where people get sentenced all the time to a thousand years in prison commuted to only 150 years.