Marrying a thai man

Hi, this is the first time I've used this forum & although the info on here is useful to some, I haven't seen anything related to a foreign woman marrying a Thai Man.

I am a British citizen living in Thailand with my Thai boyfreind & we plan to marry later this month. Our idea is to stay in Thailand & I need to find information on what my visa requirements will be once we are married.

I have triend asking the local immigration office who directed me to my own embassy, who in turn directed me to the MFA, who in turn directed me to my own embassy! My phone bill is now skyrocketing & I am no further in finding out what I need to know.

I know that under thai law the rules are different for a foreign woman marriying a thai citizen, than the other way around & just need pointers on visa, work permit, residency ruls etc... So if anyone can help me out with the rights of a foreigner married to a Thai man, I will be open to all thoughts & ideas.  Thanks ???

Your husband to be should have a talk with the folks at the immigration office.  I suspect he will be able to get full information.

Probably the run around is because you are not yet married so you will have to 'qualify' like anyone else and that will require a document from your Embassy, registered at the MFA, before you can register the marriage.  After this is done believe you have an easy road visa wise compared to male foreigners but don't know the details.

Are you really trying to do this by phone?  Go, both of you, and talk with immigration in person.  Phones are for chit chat.   :o

AFTER you are married, produce your marriage certificate at a Thai Embassy or Consulate and apply for a multiple entry  Non Immigrant O visa. This will enable stays of up to 90 days each time you enter Thailand during a one year period. After you have been married awhile, it may be that you can get an extension of stay at Immigration to avoid the border hops. Be aware that Thailand does not recognize de facto relationships whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am new here too, glad to have found your mail. I am a German female, living with Thai boyfriend in Thailand for a few years now, not yet married. It is very hard to get information on the laws. We both spoke to immigration but every time they did not know their laws themselves. We went to the law department of an University in Bangkok but nobody could give us sure answers. It did not help much that my boyfriend is Thai speaking.

I would like to know if it would be easy to obtain a work permit once married or if it is the same procedure as being not married to a Thai citizen. Does anyone know?

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the info so far & it's good to see another person striving to cut the red tape that surrounds this subject.

With regard to the comment on de-facto relationships not being recognised, I read in the BKK post a few weeks ago that under Thai law, any foreign woman marrying a Thai man would automatically be offered residency, as legally, she was now the responsibilty of her husband. Can anyone clarify?