Cost of living question

timtscott

Easily doable in my opinion

Everybody will have a different comfort zone on what they feel is enough so you are likely to get a wide range of responses.

Health insurance is probably the main thing you want to sort out.

As a forty something guy with a wife, 2 kids, a dog and 2 cats to support I get by on around 40,000baht a month, though we own our own property and this does not include school fees and trips home etc.

As you mentioned you could hang on where you are but if moving to CM is a lifestyle improvement for you then sooner is better than later...you only live once and all that old caper smile.png

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for me, I can get by fine on just over US$1,000 per month. Rent on a 2-bedroom home outside of town is about $250, utilities don't exceed $10 (no airconditioning), and major medical (hospitalization) insurance for this 64-year-old is $150. Motorcycle is economical. I do much of my own cooking. Entertainment is minimal, however; just the way I like it.

As others have stated, you should be able to live very well on your projected monthly amount.

I am glad some married men have commented in the same vein, that living in CM on $2,000-$2,500 is emiently do-able as it means I do not have to ask.

I know you have all replied in an attempt to be helpful to the OP but are you not concerned that so uniform endorsement of the charms of northern living at an economic cost might lead to mass immigration? Certainly you are likely to have to contend with at least one more farang in the next year or so as I am now convinced.

Thanks all. I was just joking about dropping dead at work. I have been with the same employer for 25 years. I guess my point is we never know what tomorrow will bring and I would rather start pursuing my dream sooner rather than later.

I am a bit surprised that $30,000 US dollars in savings would be considered insufficient and living at risk.

I read somewhere that most people in the US on average have less than $10,000 socked away. Not that it is something to aspire to but still.

I guess I was thinking what I have in savings and deferred comp would be sufficient.

I actually thought having just $30,000 to $40,000 in savings would be pretty decent for Thailand.

I am interested to know what most on here would be sufficient savings to protect oneself from a catastrophe?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

With your income you can live good here in Chiang Mai no if's and's or but's about it. You have cheap hobbies as I do.

You are concerned over health costs. At your age you should be able to get some pretty good health insurance here in Thailand for around $150 a month. If you like hiking how about just plain walking. Lots of things to see in town. I believe you can start hiking in the bush from the zoo area. Not sure on that but I am sure some one will come along and point out how cheap it is to get to a spot to start hiking.20 or 30 baht. Not sure.

• Like 1

Very easy to do with that kind of money . Its possible to do it on quite a bit less . I retired at 55 been here 3 years have a wife house car motor bike my budget hardley ever goes over $2000 a month ,

Does that include payments on the car and motor bike or did you pay cash?

$2000 is about 60,000 baht a month, and you could live like a king in Chiang Mai, provided that you don't go on drinking and girl binges every evening. Health Insurance is the difficult part--there are many different policies out there--usually with a deductable. But, on the other hand, medical visits, and treatments are quite inexpensive here compared to the west.

LOL another "you can live like a King on 60K THB per month" post. Please..... maybe 25 years ago.

2. With a bit of careful apartment-hunting and a modest lifestyle, you can live fairly comfortably on $1,000 per month (it's the income of a fairly well-off middle-class Thai family, after all). Factor in another $300-$500 if you have a Thai girlfriend/wife. The rest is for contingencies or the occasional luxury purchases/trips/etc.

Uhhh....30K THB "it's the income of a fairly well-off middle-class Thai family". Wrong! Do you actually know any Thai families? Double that figure and you would be getting close.

• Like 1

Regarding health insurance, I have hospitalization with Bupa. It's good worldwide, except the US, so I get a travel policy for the US when I go there (skiing, so I don't go without). The annual premium is about 60,000 baht, slightly less than a month's budget for you and a fraction of what you'd pay for an American health insurance policy. The travel insurance is surprisingly cheap, maybe 2000 baht for a month of coverage. As has been noted, outpatient visits are cheap here, which is why I have only the inpatient coverage.

• Like 1

I would say go for it, too many people leave it too late and drop of the perch you have plenty in your pension to live very well in Thailand, the best advise and long term expat gave me when I arrived is " don't do or get into anything that you can't happily walk away from "that includes women and business with other expats who have this "great money making idea " p.s try to get used to Thai food it is really very good and the western food prices will deplete money

• Like 1

Thanks. I'm not concerned about living like a king. I just want to be able to pay the bills and have a few dollars in my pocket at the end of the month. I live a pretty simple life. I really appreciate all the replies!!

Very easy to do with that kind of money . Its possible to do it on quite a bit less . I retired at 55 been here 3 years have a wife house car motor bike my budget hardley ever goes over $2000 a month ,

Does that include payments on the car and motor bike or did you pay cash?

Cash for the bike and car , no payments to the wife either hahahahahah

• Like 1

Lawerence. That's great I was expecting to pay more for health insurance. I will check out BUPA. I did take a look at Cigna and didn't seem too bad. I realize the devil is in the detail.

I definitely am considering inflation. My pension is tied to CPI in the states so if there was ever hyperinflation for a period of time I guess I would just have to come home or go somewhere else.

I have been to Thailand enough to know it is not a panacea however, I also know enough about it to know it is where I want to live.

Heya

You may also want to factor in the cost of setting up an apartment as well ...

Depending on the furnishings, you have to buy up the cutlery, pegs for hanging clothes , an extra fan, toaster, kettle and microwave etc eye etc and while the costs look small individually , added up its still a good amount depending on the brands u choose

Best of Luck !

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I am a single bloke, late forties, just about to complete my first year in Chiang Mai.

The money side has been pretty well covered, I spend less than your budget but as has been said you can easily spend more if you want to.

If you are a staying in person, don't rent a cheap flea pit. Think about spending 10-12k on a decent apartment, it is where you will be spending a lot of time.

Balcony with view of Doi Suthep sounds nice but you get the sun in the afternoon and it can get very hot!

Get a Kindle, you will never be short of something to read.

There is a least one hiking group I know of - regular hikes every Sunday - some easy some not and there is always the Pilgrims Trail up Doi Suthep - bit of a challenge for me this one.

Lastly just go for it and enjoy it.

Lawerence. That's great I was expecting to pay more for health insurance. I will check out BUPA. I did take a look at Cigna and didn't seem too bad. I realize the devil is in the detail.

I definitely am considering inflation. My pension is tied to CPI in the states so if there was ever hyperinflation for a period of time I guess I would just have to come home or go somewhere else.

I have been to Thailand enough to know it is not a panacea however, I also know enough about it to know it is where I want to live.

There are a few other Thai insurance companies that will cover you as well and for a lot less .

• Like 2

I think it would be good to plan to save a little each month so you are able to get out

of CM for the 6 or 8 weeks when

the fields are burned and the air pollution is so bad.

I lived in CM for a year, and really enjoyed the cooler Winter weather, however the

pollution was starting to affect my breathing. I enjoyed the Mountains however, i

always lived near the Ocean and missed the Ocean. I have relocated to Jomtien,

have been here almost three years. Not the air pollution, however, no really cool

weather either, everything has an up and down side. Jomtien is about 10-15%

more expensive than CM, but I manage very well. I do miss my Kau Soi...and

Pizza at Duke's........

Good luck....I worked until I was 62, Can't imagine retireing before that, I enjoyed

working and there are days after 4 years of retirement that I want to go back to

work. If the air pollution gets to you consider Jomtien/Pattaya or Hua Hin......as

a get away............

• Like 1

I think it would be good to plan to save a little each month so you are able to get out of CM for the 6 or 8 weeks when the fields are burned and the air pollution is so bad.

I lived in CM for a year, and really enjoyed the cooler Winter weather, however the pollution was starting to affect my breathing. I enjoyed the Mountains however, i always lived near the Ocean and missed the Ocean. I have relocated to Jomtien, have been here almost three years. Not the air pollution, however, no really cool weather either, everything has an up and down side. Jomtien is about 10-15% more expensive than CM, but I manage very well. I do miss my Kau Soi...and Pizza at Duke's........

Good luck....I worked until I was 62, Can't imagine retireing before that, I enjoyed working and there are days after 4 years of retirement that I want to go back to work. If the air pollution gets to you consider Jomtien/Pattaya or Hua Hin......as a get away............

Good points there!
The northern part of Thailand does have an additional season; The "smoky season". It is normally in the February-March timeframe. The farmers burn off the rice stubble from their fields, mushroom gatherers burn the forest undergrowth (apparently it helps the mushrooms grow after the rains start), and everybody else is burning leaves, trash, and whatever else they want to burn.
The severity of the smoke pollution varies from year to year. I first arrived here in Chiang Mai early March 2012 and some days were so bad my eyes would be burning after a short time outside. And it was even worse further north in Chiang Rai. They had multiple airline flights into Chiang Rai cancelled because of the smoke "haze". It started to clear up the first week of April. From talking to others here, I understand that the 2013 "smoky season" was not nearly as bad
Many people who live up here plan annual vacations every year during the Feb-Mar timeframe. I made sure that I was elsewhere for 2013 "smoky season". I already have my plane tickets for a month-long trip away in March 2014. Decided that it was an excellent time to explore the Philippines!
Even with that problem, I still like it very much up here in Chiang Mai. I'm just going to plan my vacation trips for March every year! Either back to the US to visit family or somewhere else in SE asia. Just like Ms. Sunshine says, everything (and every place) has an up and down side!
Vacations while in my vacation retirement!! Love it !! biggrin.png
  • Like 2

I have lived in CM for 5 years now. You have plenty of money and good common sense so only your hesitation is holding you back.

Check your "guts" and make your move. If you listen to others you are just postponing listening to yourself. Looking for feedback is an excellent idea, but you are already an experienced traveler in SE Asia so IMO you already know what is best for you.

There are a number of famous quotes to the tune of "when we look back on our life we will only regret the things we did not do".

A couple quotes that IMO apply...

-------------

The last suit that you wear, you don't need any pockets.

Engrave this quote in Our Store! | Rate this Quote! | tell.gif

-Wayne Dyer

------------------

The only things I regret... are the things I didn't do.

Engrave this quote in Our Store! | Rate this Quote! | tell.gif

-Joe Karbo

----------------

a couple articles I found

http://www.inspirationandchai.com/Regrets-of-the-Dying.html

http://www.marcandangel.com/2013/08/25/9-things-you-will-regret-not-doing-sooner/

As you probably already know and has been pointed out by others re: Thai/Farang relationships - quite often when you have a Thai gf you are in many ways dating her whole family. Plus, if the relationship started in a bar, there is a good chance it will usually (not always) at some level continue to be a commercial relationship.

All the best, you already know what to do, waiting is not doing.

Doug

• Like 1

Thank you Thaiherbs. Yes I am just gathering information at this point. I can't start drawing my pension until may 2016. So I am in a holding pattern until then. The good news I will be visiting LOS in January!!!

Thanks again!!!

I know....You will not believe it like most of my friends in California....even in my home country, Brazil.

I live here now for more than 3 years. I am 69 now. Because Chiang Mai is a wonderful city to retired was my first choice. I lived 3 months before in Bangkok just because I had a girlfriend there. I didn't liked BK at all! In Chiang Mai I was looking for a small house with a nice garden to rent and after 2 months living in a small apartment and searching for a house...I found one. But...was in Lampang, a smaller and not so busy city 2 hours away. I got it with a help from a local Thai resident. Looking for rentals using a rental office is a bad deal.

A lovely, fully furnished modern small house, on a gated community, with a lavish garden for $100/month rent. I got a second hand scooter, just to be around if I need it. I not recommend to drive in Thailand. Too dangerous and can be an unnecessary spending. Tuk tuk transportation is cheap and safer, and the bus system is OK. To do something on my free time, I was assisting English teachers at government elementary schools for free. I like to teach. Was fun and interesting, and I met nice people. I did just 2 to 3 times a week, because I like very much to travel and to date nice women, and I did every week going to close cities for few days. Sometimes staying in new friend homes or nice hotels for about $20/night. . Chiang Mai, Phayao, Chiang Rai, Phrae, Nan, Lamphun, Pai, and many more. I like gardening and cooking, and shopping food village markets. I changed my diet, avoiding meat and any fast food. I like to bicycle and walking, and that is my favorite exercise for the body. For my mind, I got into Buddhist meditation and reading, but not into sexual abstinence like monks do. In 3 years I dated for very short time, or for a while, more than 30 women, and I do not like to drink or the bar environment. Safe sex is mandatory for me! I expect to live and die in peace the rest of my life. I traveled to Burma, Malaysia and Bali, always meeting new friends...and 1 month in Cha Am Beach. A nice place to live too!

My monthly average spend including everything? not more than 20.000/bth = $700 including not expected expenses, like an accident with my scooter, reselling it with loss, $300 hospital bill because a street dog bite, bad dates, etc, etc.

Hard to believe it? Many things are hard to believe in Thailand, like finding a soulmate.

I got married, 6 month ago, with a wonderful and beautiful 47 years old business owner in Chiang Rai. Divorced with no small kids. She makes about $750/month and I use another $750/month. With that money we pay a nice 2 bedrooms house rent, the payment for a brand new car in trade for her old car, all the housing and her business expenses, our traveling, and some wine and a nice dinner one time a week. We most cook at home or take out sometimes. We have a savings account together, I match every money she can put in, and I think will be enough money there to travel to America next year....or invest in a new business we have in mind. Yes, life cannot be better for $1,500/monthly expenses!

The further you are from the city center the cheeper the rents are . Really unless you are a bar hopper any of the outter cities have almost the same things as inside the city with the exception of farrang food , fish bowls, and Kareokee clubs . For me personally when we first got here I wanted to live as close to the city center as possible . Ended up 15 k in Hang Dong stillexpensive property wise but Im so glad I dont have to deal with the inner city unless I want to ...

good news: i can introduce you to a lady who will take care of your ATM card, even memorize your PIN at no extra cost!!

I can rent you a few jet skis as well, at reduced rate. but don't crash them!!!

i would sign-up to learn Thai for one year. why not? this will keep you busy and mind busy. makes it so much better. i never get it why people don't want to learn thai.....i know NOBODY in America who doesn't want to learn English.

forget the budget, worry about the boredom. and choose your friends wisely. tell them all you are poor.

i wouldn't buy a house, but that's just me. your life.

or try to save more and retire in singapore, hong kong, or perhaps the Mediterranean. even japan would be nice.

now get back to work!! coffee1.gif