Yamaha Star Bolt coming to Thailand in 2014

cm das

Very nice looking bike, I like it and 465.000 for a such a bike is not too bad and the HD's are overpriced for what you get.

The HD Sporster 883 is underpowered and considered a beginers bike in the US but the 1200 is very very cool and with a bit tweaking quite fast too.

Extremly reliable too, it's a simple motor and anybody can easily do their own maintenance too.

If money was not a problem and single, I would have a Sporster 48 parked outside the house.

• Like 1

I prefer the style of the Sportster/Bolt to the Vulcan. Still, a couple years ago I was considering getting a Vulcan but I was seriously turned off by the dealer in Chiang Mai. The sales girl told me that under no circumstances would I be able to test ride one - the fact that my bike at the time was a D-Tracker 250 I'd bought from the same dealer didn't matter at all. There's no way I'll drop nearly half a million baht on a bike without being able to ride it. I don't know for sure about Yamaha these days but a few years ago a friend of mine was able to take an FZ6 out for a test ride. That gives me more hope for the Bolt.

Yeah, the drive belt guard is pretty ugly but it's far from a deal-breaker for me.

In the USA and OTHER Western markets I am sure a lot of people will be drawn away from the Sportster as a first cruiser and the Yamaha will sell well.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not a bad looking bike, but any big bike that makes it's way to Thailand is a good thing as there is such a poor choice here. With grey imports banned too we end up struggling for truly something different, or even suitable, plus more choice usually means better prices, at least for secondhand.

Also I would have thought cruiser/choppers would be more suited to Thailand where speed is somewhat limited by the poor road conditions, so it would be nice to see a smaller bike in the category, say 400-650cc available here, with a 300k pricetag, These type of bikes also fit 6' Farangs a bit better.

Not a bad looking bike, but any big bike that makes it's way to Thailand is a good thing as there is such a poor choice here. With grey imports banned too we end up struggling for truly something different, or even suitable, plus more choice usually means better prices, at least for secondhand.

Also I would have thought cruiser/choppers would be more suited to Thailand where speed is somewhat limited by the poor road conditions, so it would be nice to see a smaller bike in the category, say 400-650cc available here, with a 300k pricetag, These type of bikes also fit 6' Farangs a bit better.

Grey imports are not banned, currently, the only imports that are banned are used motorcycles. You can still import a brand new bike without any problem (of course you will pay the maximum tax and duty involved with importing).

• Like 1

Grey imports are not banned, currently, the only imports that are banned are used motorcycles. You can still import a brand new bike without any problem (of course you will pay the maximum tax and duty involved with importing).

Correct no ban and that import tax will be cheaper then buying it from a dealer here...

Hi,

I never owned a Harley. But friends do - and a few of them have had their bikes for decades. Their machines are still worth a lot. IMHO, those 120 B will be soon "forgotten" when you try to sell either bike a few years later. Wonna bet? Yamaha Bolt? 200 k? Harley? 380 k and > 280 k for the next decade if you keep her in pristine condition...

• Like 1

^ The people who are going to buy the Bolt are buying it because they prefer the looks and performance of it over the competing Harley and worrying about depreciation won't be an issue. They probably won't keep the same bike for decades either. Also, big bikes from established manufacturers keep a pretty good resale value in Thailand. In other market, if the Bolt becomes a cult bike like the Yamaha 650 twins, V Max and RDLC strokers it's value will hold up well over the decades. I had a Harley XR1200 back in the UK and took a hit when I sold it. The depreciation on my Triumph Street Triple was less than that of the Harley.

• 2 weeks later...

I dropped into Yamaha Square next to Kad Suan Kaew (Chiang Mai) today to see the Bolt in person. There were 3 of us drooling over checking out one bike while it was still being set up. Very nice looking. According to the sales guy they should have a test drive model in the shop next month.

• 1 month later...

Watchara had a display at the Burapha Bike show. Price confirmed at Bt465,000 and they have their first container of 20 bikes arriving in May. 15 black and 5 green.

I sat on their display model and found it to be very comfortable.

001_zps7a07be28.jpg

Edited by Spoonman

• 5 months later...

Watchara had a display at the Burapha Bike show. Price confirmed at Bt465,000 and they have their first container of 20 bikes arriving in May. 15 black and 5 green.

001_zps7a07be28.jpg

Can you decide how much you will pay in Down Payment, for example. 50%?

just took a test ride at the Pattaya dealer today (Watchara Marine) and it was fun, very easy to handle like a scooter, good looking and great sound. Two minus points - the air filter bothers with the right knee and for me 1.84m tall the bike seems a little to small as it looks like a toy bike with me on.

The staff mentioned a 2 month waiting time.

Edited by MrJ
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

001_zps7a07be28.jpg

Can you decide how much you will pay in Down Payment, for example. 50%?

Anyone who can answer about the down payment?

Quote: "Of course, the prices here in Thailand are way high, but here too the Bolt has the Sportster 883 beat by 120,000 Baht."

Come on, let's talk again after 2 years riding both bikes. Depreciation will likely have eaten up the 120,000 Baht difference. Moreover, H-D's reliability has improved dramatically more than a decade ago.

Ride both bikes for a decade and then you'd be lucky if you get 165,000 B for the Bolt. And parts prices are pretty reasonable when you order in the U.S.

Ride on!

but on the end of the day the Bolt is the better bike regarding design, engine, economy and reliabilty ..... if the face is not the only important think 9 out of 10 would coose the Bolt over the HD

• Like 1

Quote: "Of course, the prices here in Thailand are way high, but here too the Bolt has the Sportster 883 beat by 120,000 Baht."

Come on, let's talk again after 2 years riding both bikes. Depreciation will likely have eaten up the 120,000 Baht difference. Moreover, H-D's reliability has improved dramatically more than a decade ago.

Ride both bikes for a decade and then you'd be lucky if you get 165,000 B for the Bolt. And parts prices are pretty reasonable when you order in the U.S.

Ride on!

Wasn't there a rumor some time ago that HD was gonna build a factory in Thailand for their smaller cc bikes ?

If this is true I bet prices from HD may get hit.

Ride on!

Wasn't there a rumor some time ago that HD was gonna build a factory in Thailand for their smaller cc bikes ?

If this is true I bet prices from HD may get hit.

I believe HD are still looking for an assembly facility here.