Attorney general orders indictment against Abhisit, Suthep

webfact

This is a key sentence in the second Nation article:

"About 90 people died and nearly 1,900 were wounded in a series of street clashes between mostly unarmed "Red Shirt" demonstrators and security forces firing live rounds in central Bangkok." [emphasis mine].

Remember, the Nation is not known for its Red Shirt sympathies...

Nice try, but that article came from AFP and not the Nation. Another piece of attempted red misinformation goes down in flames. Rather appropriate given their fire raising penchant. Besides which, what does "mostly unarmed" mean? How many were armed then? And how can there have been a "clash" unless both sides are involved? One could just as easily write "The army dispersed the protestors, who for months had severely disrupted the livlihoods of thousands who work or own businesses in the Ratchaprasong area, clashing with several armed elements in the crowd. Armed elements who showed little regard for the safety of their fellow protestors. On the whole, though, the red shirt demonstrators were mostly unharmed and the vast majority returned home safely.

Yep, my mistake. Was scrolling through and thought I recalled the Nation logo at the bottom when I got to the third page to write my post. So you're claiming that AFP promotes "red misinformation"? Funny.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This makes me feel sick inside. The sociopath in Dubai cares about nothing except his own selfish self/

He is not in Dubai any more. He was asked to leave because the Dubai government declared that the islamic video ordering a fatwa on his head was in fact 100% real and they didn't want the crap on their doorstep.

He applied to go to Hong Kong and his visa was rejected for the same reason.

Not sure where he is skyping from at the moment.

"About 90 people died and nearly 1,900 were wounded in a series of street clashes between mostly unarmed "Red Shirt" demonstrators and security forces firing live rounds in central Bangkok." [emphasis mine].

Nice try, but that article came from AFP and not the Nation. Another piece of attempted red misinformation goes down in flames. Rather appropriate given their fire raising penchant. Besides which, what does "mostly unarmed" mean? How many were armed then? And how can there have been a "clash" unless both sides are involved? One could just as easily write "The army dispersed the protestors, who for months had severely disrupted the livlihoods of thousands who work or own businesses in the Ratchaprasong area, clashing with several armed elements in the crowd. Armed elements who showed little regard for the safety of their fellow protestors. On the whole, though, the red shirt demonstrators were mostly unharmed and the vast majority returned home safely.

And if you want another neutral assessment, I suggest that you read the report by Human Rights Watch here: http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2011/05/02/thailand-investigate-abuses-connected-political-violence

Key excerpts:

The high death toll and injuries resulted in part from excessive and unnecessary lethal force on the part of security forces, Human Rights Watch said. At Phan Fa Bridge, some soldiers with M16 and TAR21 assault rifles fired live ammunition at protesters; others fired rubber bullets from shotguns directly at protesters, causing serious injury. To disperse the main protest at Ratchaprasong, the army deployed snipers to shoot those who breached "no-go" zones between the UDD protesters and army barricades or who threw rocks and other objects toward soldiers. At times, soldiers also shot into crowds of protesters....

While Thai authorities have not released comprehensive forensic analyses of the wounds sustained by those killed between May 14 and May 19, incidents reviewed by Human Rights Watch indicated that several unarmed protesters, medical volunteers, and bystanders were killed with single shots to the head, suggesting the use of snipers and high-powered scopes....

Now this report also identifies violent militant elements (black shirts) among the Red Shirts, and lays some blame there, but it leaves no doubt that security forces fired directly at unarmed civilians. Note the phrase, "excessive and unnecessary lethal force on the part of security forces".

Well 'human rights watch' would say that wouldn't they.....

That organization is just another one of these jumped up right wing pinko style pressure groups, you know.... the types that would have nothing to do if they weren't doing this sort of thing.

The human rights movement and all that encompass it have no idea or authority, and in my opinion 'credibility'. They speak out at almost anything and everything as being a human rights abuse.

I certainly wouldn't use any of their decisions as 'the gospel word'.

This makes me feel sick inside. The sociopath in Dubai cares about nothing except his own selfish self/

He is not in Dubai any more. He was asked to leave because the Dubai government declared that the islamic video ordering a fatwa on his head was in fact 100% real and they didn't want the crap on their doorstep.

He applied to go to Hong Kong and his visa was rejected for the same reason.

Not sure where he is skyping from at the moment.

... From within your house !!!!

Look in the closet :P

Waaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaa!

:ph34r:

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And if you want another neutral assessment, I suggest that you read the report by Human Rights Watch here: http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2011/05/02/thailand-investigate-abuses-connected-political-violence

Key excerpts:

The high death toll and injuries resulted in part from excessive and unnecessary lethal force on the part of security forces, Human Rights Watch said. At Phan Fa Bridge, some soldiers with M16 and TAR21 assault rifles fired live ammunition at protesters; others fired rubber bullets from shotguns directly at protesters, causing serious injury. To disperse the main protest at Ratchaprasong, the army deployed snipers to shoot those who breached "no-go" zones between the UDD protesters and army barricades or who threw rocks and other objects toward soldiers. At times, soldiers also shot into crowds of protesters....

While Thai authorities have not released comprehensive forensic analyses of the wounds sustained by those killed between May 14 and May 19, incidents reviewed by Human Rights Watch indicated that several unarmed protesters, medical volunteers, and bystanders were killed with single shots to the head, suggesting the use of snipers and high-powered scopes....

Now this report also identifies violent militant elements (black shirts) among the Red Shirts, and lays some blame there, but it leaves no doubt that security forces fired directly at unarmed civilians. Note the phrase, "excessive and unnecessary lethal force on the part of security forces".

That organization is just another one of these jumped up right wing pinko style pressure groups, you know.... the types that would have nothing to do if they weren't doing this sort of thing.

The human rights movement and all that encompass it have no idea or authority, and in my opinion 'credibility'. They speak out at almost anything and everything as being a human rights abuse.

"right wing pinko"??? Man, one of us is confused....

More pathetic excuses for legal manoeuvres to put pressure on them to accept an Amnesty bill...

The legal reasoning is a stretch, to pout it mildly. Orders came down to take one more step.

Political hogwash, and they can never possibly be convicted before the next election or social calamity

brings down the current puppet show.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 2

Now and if this scaremongering doesn't have the proposed effect, of Abhisit changing his mind and supporting the amnesty bill, then announce a court date set the day before the third reading of the bill.

Hmmm, maybe that also will not make them change their mind.

Isn't this the same office that cleared Thaksin of terrorism charges because Thaksin was not in Thailand when he and his Red army terrorized and burned down a dozen buildings?

Yes it's the Attorney Generals Office as a department but that decision was made by the former AG, you know, the AG that was appointed by abhisit?

So? What is your point again smart..s?

No need to get upset.

I thought my point was obvious. You're implying that the AG Office is biased because the PTP are in charge, just like they're supposed to have bought off the judges.

Tell me how else your post should be read.

How are you so sure that the "now removed" AG presented these charges - I find that highly unlikely, it might seem that way but I think you'll find that the AG office is in the pocket of PTP regardless - I would have thought that was obvious

About time. Abhisit and Suthep should stand trial and if found guilty should face whatever punishment is handed down. Not much chance of that though is there if we can't even get the Red Bull heir into court to be acquitted?

You're right, charge and convict them, then give them back their passport to visit the next Olympic games.

Key excerpts:

"right wing pinko"??? Man, one of us is confused....

Wooops!

Sorry, I meant left wing pinko....lol

It's late

it's hilarous there are those, in this Forum, who, somehow, think/believe it';s all Good v Evil, OR Evil v Good. Jesse Ventura has a better perspective. His book [DemoCRIPS and ReBLOODlicans: No More Gangs in Government] shows it's not just a Thailand problem... this mad dawg fight to grab offices where the Corruption money flows. Amnesty International states Average American Net worth is $26,000 [average including most who are in DEBT] Average Senator and Congress Net Worth [$850,000] <<< Why does Amenesty International deem this as [important]. ??? because it's ALL kleptocracy,,, just like all of World History.

Amnesty = Gang land truce...[ if] the DemoCrips in Thailand would agree. OR do they, still, think they can take it ALL?

It's Evil v Evil folks... don't be a dupe or a pawn to any of them.

• Like 1

POLITICS
Abhisit, Suthep to face trial over 2010 riot deaths

The Nation

30218167-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- PUBLIC PROSECUTORS decided to indict and try two top Democrats for instigating others to kill, or to attempt a killing, in connection with the 2010 political mayhem.

Opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva and MP Suthep Thaugsuban are to stand trial over their respective capacities at the time as prime minister and deputy prime minister in charge of quelling red-shirt protests.

"Former PM Abhisit and former deputy PM Suthep will be tried as political overseers of the Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation," prosecution spokesman Nantasak Poonsuk said.

The prosecution review against Abhisit and Suthep was based on a report compiled by the Department of Special Investigation.

Nantasak said the DSI report covered the period from April 7 to May 19, 2010.

Incidents that led to the indictment included those revealed by judicial inquests that attributed the deaths to gunshots fired from the side of the security forces, he said.

The inquests covered the cases of Phan Kamkong; boy Kunakorn Srisuwan; and driver Samorn Maithong. Attorney-general Athapol Yaisawang cited three reasons for the indictment:

First, the charges were about the instigation to cause death, hence the prosecutors have purview of the case above that of the National Anti-Corruption Commission.

Second, the prosecution has evidence to link the two accused to blockading of rally sites as well as ordering the use of arms.

Third, the pending trial will combine all casualties into one count of wrongdoing, since separate crowd-control operations were designed to achieve one single objective - to disperse the rallies.

The prosecution order sets Thursday as the deadline for Abhisit and Suthep to acknowledge their indictments.

DSI chief Tarit Pengdith said his investigators would study whether the prosecution review could be a precedent.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-29

POLITICS

The Nation

30218167-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- PUBLIC PROSECUTORS decided to indict and try two top Democrats for instigating others to kill, or to attempt a killing, in connection with the 2010 political mayhem.

Opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva and MP Suthep Thaugsuban are to stand trial over their respective capacities at the time as prime minister and deputy prime minister in charge of quelling red-shirt protests.

"Former PM Abhisit and former deputy PM Suthep will be tried as political overseers of the Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation," prosecution spokesman Nantasak Poonsuk said.

The prosecution review against Abhisit and Suthep was based on a report compiled by the Department of Special Investigation.

Incidents that led to the indictment included those revealed by judicial inquests that attributed the deaths to gunshots fired from the side of the security forces, he said.

The inquests covered the cases of Phan Kamkong; boy Kunakorn Srisuwan; and driver Samorn Maithong. Attorney-general Athapol Yaisawang cited three reasons for the indictment:

First, the charges were about the instigation to cause death, hence the prosecutors have purview of the case above that of the National Anti-Corruption Commission.

Second, the prosecution has evidence to link the two accused to blockading of rally sites as well as ordering the use of arms.

Third, the pending trial will combine all casualties into one count of wrongdoing, since separate crowd-control operations were designed to achieve one single objective - to disperse the rallies.

The prosecution order sets Thursday as the deadline for Abhisit and Suthep to acknowledge their indictments.

DSI chief Tarit Pengdith said his investigators would study whether the prosecution review could be a precedent.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-10-29

I can't wait to see how on earth they try to draw cause and effect between the two of these things.

• Like 1

Cracking down on protesters I would have presumed would mean arresting the troublesome perpetrators in the protest camps, not murdering them all murderers regardless of their politics should be locked up for a long time and also regardless of their wealth and powerful influence but then again this is Thailand. Lives and common poor people are not important only Money Money wonderfull money and with power comes more money money Greed is Good .

Looking at the picture of the two characters and their somewhat pained grimaces would seem to indicate they are both it seems experiencing some personal discomfort due to ''piles.''

The diagnosis being due to the fact that they are both like a large number of other stooges of Thaksin and the P.T..P are sitting on ''Piles of money ''as distributed to the A.G. officials so as to fabricate the trumped up charges against both Abhisit abd Suthep.

Should not this particular situation have already been confirmed?

Yet again we plainly see that Tarit Pengdith cannot see the truth due to his head being firmly ensconced into the lower orifice of his beloved paymaster Thaksin.

Edited by siampolee

Cracking down on protesters I would have presumed would mean arresting the troublesome perpetrators in the protest camps, not murdering them all murderers regardless of their politics should be locked up for a long time and also regardless of their wealth and powerful influence but then again this is Thailand. Lives and common poor people are not important only Money Money wonderfull money and with power comes more money money Greed is Good .

You call them "protestors", I call them "armed terrorists". Each to their own. But when you lived amongst that for all those months and actually saw what really was going on, protestor is not even close to what I would use to describe them . . . armed violent thugs would be a closer fit.

• Like 1

As for the actual charges, am sure Abhisit is welcoming them. Bring it on and make yourselves look like fools trying to indict someone who was operating under a curfew, ISA and SoE at the time. He's got his get out of jail free card already, just waiting to use it. They can't/won't go after the Army, so it's only the "civilians" left to charge with something. About time some more of those "reds" got charged with something.

and the pressure is turned up to help the Thaksin white wash bill to get over the line.

It may help or it may backfire.

Abhisit is remaining very cool under the circumstances.

This is a power play by the Thaksin camp & I wonder what Abhisit knows or has up his sleeve.

He is certainly no fool. It will be interesting if this ever goes to trial.

POLITICS

The Nation

30218167-01_big.jpg

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-10-29

Heaven help me but I have to say this. In the US, at least some years ago , there was an old country saying.

Seeing the above photo , this saying was the first thing to come to mind. The saying : they were " grinnin like a jackass eatin briars"

clap2.gif

POLITICS

The Nation

30218167-01_big.jpg

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-10-29

Heaven help me but I have to say this. In the US, at least some years ago , there was an old country saying.

Seeing the above photo , this saying was the first thing to come to mind. The saying : they were " grinnin like a jackass eatin briars"

clap2.gif

The face on the left, didn't you have him in your class, it's one of them faces you could smack every day.cheesy.gif

• Like 1

POLITICS

The Nation

30218167-01_big.jpg

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-10-29

clap2.gif

The face on the left, didn't you have him in your class, it's one of them faces you could smack every day.cheesy.gif

I just thought, maybe its the same face ! ! !

The left one is the before smacking pic, and the right one is the after smacking around a bit pic,,,,,

Yea I think he was in my class too..

• Like 1

So? What is your point again smart..s?

No need to get upset.

I thought my point was obvious. You're implying that the AG Office is biased because the PTP are in charge, just like they're supposed to have bought off the judges.

Tell me how else your post should be read.

How are you so sure that the "now removed" AG presented these charges - I find that highly unlikely, it might seem that way but I think you'll find that the AG office is in the pocket of PTP regardless - I would have thought that was obvious

I'm sure because of the timing. The new AG was nowhere near the office of the AG when the treason charges against Thaksin were dropped

'Terror charge against Thaksin dropped'

Prapasri Osathanon

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Public prosecutors have decided not to file a charge of terrorism against former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra in connection with the unrest and riots of 2010, Democrat Party deputy leader Thaworn Senneam said yesterday.

Thaworn said he had been told this by people in the Attorney General's Office, after a decision was made last month........New Attorney General Athapol Yaisawang said he had no knowledge about this matter, as yesterday was just his first day in office. He expected to be informed by relevant officials if Thaworn's claim was true.

Next.

It is a source of great amusement to me that all the organisations that were previously rabidly anti Thaksin such as the majority of the Judges and a large proportion (not identified for obvious reasons) of the Army and were lauded in this forum as examples of upstanding pillars of virtue are now slated as being bought and run by that same person.

It makes your arguments simpler but use some common. What good is a supposedly tame AG if the Judges throw the case out?

• Like 1

You call them "protestors", I call them "armed terrorists". Each to their own. But when you lived amongst that for all those months and actually saw what really was going on, protestor is not even close to what I would use to describe them . . . armed violent thugs would be a closer fit.

If the term, "terrorist", had been bandied about so freely in the 18th Century, I'm sure that's what the Brits would have called the colonists killed at Lexington and Concord. [P.S. I'm Canadian, but I'm able to take a step back at times smile.png ]

Same could be said of the participants in the "Rum Rebellion" of Australia, the Metis Uprising in Canada, and the St Peter's Field protest (Manchester, 1819).

Edited by Docno
  • Like 2