WHY are there no TOILETS at any MRT stations?

chappie1207

HeijoshinCool, unlike myself I suspect that you have never come close to a terrorist attack.

I was minutes away from being blown up by the IRA in Guildford in 1974; the friend I was going to meet was already in the Horse and Groom when the bomb exploded.

I was travelling on the tube on the morning of 7th July 2005.

We in the UK have lived with the terrorist threat for far longer than most in the Western world; we know that not every bomb can be stopped.

As the IRA said after failing to kill Thatcher with the Brighton bomb in 1984: "Today we were unlucky, but remember we only have to be lucky once. You will have to be lucky always."

But we also appreciate sensible precautions to reduce the risk.

Maybe you can remind us then how many bomb attacks, or even attempts, there have been in Bangkok in the past.

There was the Iranian blokes that blew themselves up, there was the New years bombs a few years back, there's been plenty, as I recall

So two, is plenty these days ?

What 7by7 was talking about was more like 2 a week.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Three examples spread over 31 years is not two a week!

Even at the height of the IRA campaign, the UK did not suffer attacks of that frequency.

Probably due to sensible precautions such as removing easy access to obvious hiding places.

Maybe logic suggests it..but dont confuse logic with thai logic.

Thai logic? There are hardly any toilets at central London tube stations either.

Hardly any? I think that you will find there are none.

Wrong.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/toilets-map.pdf

As other posters, including yourself, have previously said, there are some; but not many.

Also, as said before, those that do exist are usually staffed and you have to pay to use them.

From that list: 11 tube stations have toilets. There are 270 stations on the tube network. That's just 4% with toilets.

The others on the list, not that there are many, are all in national rail stations or bus stations.

Edited by 7by7

Even at the height of the IRA campaign, the UK did not suffer attacks of that frequency.

Probably due to sensible precautions such as removing easy access to obvious hiding places.

Three is the number of examples you gave.

I count 24 Bomb attacks of the IRA only between 1990 and 2001, and that is not included attacks from other terrorist organizations during the same period.

This is not comparable to Thailand in the slightest, so saying that is the reason why there are no toilets at the MRT stations is pure shit. And that is pun intended.biggrin.png

As other posters, including yourself, have previously said, there are some; but not many.

Also, as said before, those that do exist are usually staffed and you have to pay to use them.

From that list: 11 tube stations have toilets. There are 270 stations on the tube network. That's just 4% with toilets.

The others on the list, not that there are many, are all in national rail stations or bus stations.

Yes. I was just the correcting the poster who incorrectly stated that there are "none".

• Like 1

Three is the number of examples you gave.

I count 24 Bomb attacks of the IRA only between 1990 and 2001, and that is not included attacks from other terrorist organizations during the same period.

This is not comparable to Thailand in the slightest, so saying that is the reason why there are no toilets at the MRT stations is pure shit. And that is pun intended.biggrin.png

I've no idea why there have been no bomb attacks reported in Bangkok due to the troubles in the Deep South, but that unrest certainly makes Ulster look like a picnic. I'd not like to be in the first MRT Station that was bombed.

SC

• Like 2

The main reason why there are no toilets in stations, is because they're stations.

How much time do people usually spend at stations?

How much time do people spend between entering a station and leaving a station?

Stations are just one part of the system.

In australia the WA Deparment of family services (or whatever it is called now) refused to allow people to have toilets even though their clients were families mostly mothers who had to accompanied by children and had to wait several hours there often.

Edited by harrry

The main reason why there are no toilets in stations, is because they're stations.

Stations arfe just one part of the system.

All I know is in this country where pollution is very high, getting a dodgy tummy can happen instantly and without warning, and it doesn't matter how long you are at the station, if you need to go YOU NEED TO GO!!!!!

• Like 1

If the frequency of the service is, say, three minutes, then the answer would be about six minutes (time to buy a ticket and get to the platform).

Then a journey, which in an urban environment is usually counted in minutes rather than hours. Then you leave the system and are out in the big wide world again, where you can look for a toilet.

Mainline services, which normally take you from city to city, and can take hours, usually provide toilets on the trains and in the stations.

Stations arfe just one part of the system.

All I know is in this country where pollution is very high, getting a dodgy tummy can happen instantly and without warning, and it doesn't matter how long you are at the station, if you need to go YOU NEED TO GO!!!!!

Pollution gives you a dodgy tummy?

• Like 1

There aren't a lot of stand-alone public toilet facilities here, anywhere.

There are (obviously) smallish private toilet facilities within the subway and skytrain stations; you often see employees, and in-station vendors, ducking in to these.

Many/most of the MRT stations are designed with significant retail space on the mezzanine and/or ticketing levels, but only a few stations (Sukhumvit, for one) have opened to date. I am pretty sure there are meant to be public toilets, perhaps on a paid ( 2 ~ 5 baht ) basis, available.

I think most of us have learned to rely on toilets in attached/nearby public buildings/offices/shopping malls.

Why are there none on any BTS station?

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Because they are train stations.

So you never use the bathroom in a bar or restaurant ?

Cause you don't <deleted> nor pee ,where you eat or drink?

Edited by metisdead
Oversize font reset to normal. Do not post using overly large font.

Why do they not have bars and restaurants in the MRT Stations?

• Like 1

Why do they not have bars and restaurants in the MRT Stations?

if they had swimming pools you could take a sneeky pee while pretending to swim

• Like 2