Bomb squad trio killed defusing device in Thai south

webfact

Not so long ago, many people where dieing on beaches all over Asia. The casualties run up fast and there was no for sight that the situation would improve fast. One year fighting on this beaches, woods and mountains would bring about 1 million more casualties.

Luckily science was progressing quick and in no time the solution was found in Fat Man and Big Boy. Wipe out 2 entire cities and then ask if they want more was political and military easy to sell. The where the enemy and on the beaches where our boys dieing. There where not many "No" votes and the general public did like the move.

Those people who where wiped out were like you and me.

Al those big mouths, hiding behind a religion, killing other people with other religions because their religion is the only true religion, must watch out. Someday people get tired from road bombs, deheadings, pulling bodies trough the street behind cars. Someday a man/woman will stand up and say enough lets wipe them out.and all will say that is a good plan....

• Like 1

It's time Thailand

It's time to say no more and draw a line in the sand and declare all out war on the southern province.

Martial law into effect with severe repercussions.

How can you stand by and let this continue ?

Very un thai like to be bent over like this.

How about educating yourself? Martial law or it's equivalent has been implemented in the deep South for many years and provides power to the Thai security services, a fairly detailed introduction at:

http://voicefromthais.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/south-thailand-nine-years-under-martial-law-in-southern-border-provinces-english-version/

It doesn't seem so ignorant to suggest that something more needs to be done. Bombs of this size and level of sophistication suggest the people behind this are not the poor little oppressed freedom fighters you seem so convinced they are. US has offered support to the Thais in the past, but the Thais seem to go back and forth on whether this is strictly an internal problem or whether international jihadist elements (such as groups from Pakistan, Malaysia, and Indonesia) are involved.

Saying outside/"beyond the border" forces are involved, and hence the Thais need help would be a major loss of face to the big cats in Bangkok, but the authorities on the ground in the South would probably be a little more amenable to it. Watching some of the videos of the assaults and bomb attacks make it clear that some of the jihadists are quite well-trained. Where and by whom?

RIP

I think it is a bit of all:

local "freedom fighter", the government did a lot to convince normal people that this government or country is their enemy (Tak Bai and the comments from Thaksin about the reason of the deads was the Ramadan, just as one example).

Foreign fanatics

Domestic fanatics who got their free education in Saudi Arabia

Some feeling that the local fanatics are closer, lesser problem than the army.

Incompetence of the army...They are trained to fight, not to make local politics

Sure some army and politician are happy the way it is because it opens ways for corruption

Bangkok does not care much about the problems....more important to bring the brother back.

Thaksin did everything to insult Malaysia so the willingness to help won't be too big, as well.

From everything a little bit.....And the last thing that should be done is bring the USA in. The country with the worst record for freedom. Better would be to talk with Malaysia and Indonesia.

"From everything a little bit.....And the last thing that should be done is bring the USA in. The country with the worst record for freedom. Better would be to talk with Malaysia and Indonesia."

Malaysia has refused to turn over extradition requests on militants/terrorists/jihadists who fled there. Their ruling regime BN is quite similar in dress and general demeanor to the lead terrorist group in the south, BRN, and I dont think youll see much in the way of a constructive solution from there. Indonesia has had a successful Counterterrorism, but also found a suitable agreement in Aceh. I wonder if they could learn anything from Israel (but of course farang no understand Thai).

"I know you will disagree, but personaly I lay the blame for the increasing radicalisation in the deep South on the policies and tactics by successive Thai governments"

We see the exact same claim being made about Islamic radicalisation across the world; US and European Muslims blame US foreign policy for the rising strains of intolerant and fanatical Islam, the Somalia terrorist group blamed Kenya's military for its terrorist attacks, Taliban killed 13 Chinese climbers a few months back and blamed it on a US drone strike, Xinjiang terrorists blame China's government for their attacks in Beijing and Xinjiang, and now you're blaming the Thais for the terrorism directed at them. At some point you have to step back and look at the idealogy behind all of these attacks if you want to understand them. Why such consistently savage attacks by Muslims who consider themselves to be oppressed, across the planet?

Also this is the problem I have with groups like Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International. They're far more concerned about the rights of terrorists than with the rights of their victims. Same with you, at some point you have to admit that planting bombs and blowing up good cops is a childish, barbaric and (in my judgement) evil way to act in the world. It's a 7th century approach that doesn't belong in the 21st century.

Also I'm curious: if the Thais had information about who planted this b0mb and were able to stop it, but had to inflict pain (ie: torture) to get this information, do you think this would be preferable to losing more soldiers and police? That's Amnesty International and HRW's implicit position, that torture is never justified (along with drone strikes), and a clear example of where they (and you) are more concerned with the human rights of the terrorist than with the rest of the world's rights to live in peace.

Just because you do not agree with my opinions there is no need to put words in my mouth. Yes I agree the killing and wounding of ‘good cops’ is an evil action and so is the use of torture and extrajudicial killing by security forces.

To answer your question on the use of torture I’ll use the following quote:

“Some things we don't do, not because they never work, not because they aren't ''deserved," but because our very right to call ourselves decent human beings depends in part on our not doing them. Torture is in that category. We can win our war against the barbarians without becoming barbaric in the process”.

My view on Islamic extremism is it is rooted in politics, that requires a forceful response, but ultimately a political solution. Many also suscribe to the thought that fanatical sectarian killing is also based upon local politics and power plays; religion ultimately just being a cover/manipulation for the killings by the leaders.

The world over it is just one religion promoting terrorism.

Islam

Look at history. they are the same as the Catholic church during the dark ages. The difference being the Catholic church grew out of it Islam's are still bent on taking over the world. It has nothing to do with politics. Watch some of the interviews on BBC they have had with the Iman.

they only use politics as an excuse. Once they have reached a certain percentage of the population they start to try and change what ever government to Islamic beliefs.

They spout peace while they use terrorism.

Just the same as the red shirts here in Thailand spouted democracy while they tried to take over with guns.

It would seem all religions to one degree or another put women down. But Islam treat them as chattel.

There Koran contains the old testament with it's punishing God and many other books written with things in them like kill the infidels talk of holy wars. This is stuff written by a man who worked for his wife and founded a religion to put women down just before he flew off to heaven on a flying horse.

• Like 1

"From everything a little bit.....And the last thing that should be done is bring the USA in. The country with the worst record for freedom. Better would be to talk with Malaysia and Indonesia."

Malaysia has refused to turn over extradition requests on militants/terrorists/jihadists who fled there. Their ruling regime BN is quite similar in dress and general demeanor to the lead terrorist group in the south, BRN, and I dont think youll see much in the way of a constructive solution from there. Indonesia has had a successful Counterterrorism, but also found a suitable agreement in Aceh. I wonder if they could learn anything from Israel (but of course farang no understand Thai).

Farang dosen't have to understand Thai. They understand Islam. Thai no understand Islam.

"I know you will disagree, but personaly I lay the blame for the increasing radicalisation in the deep South on the policies and tactics by successive Thai governments"

We see the exact same claim being made about Islamic radicalisation across the world; US and European Muslims blame US foreign policy for the rising strains of intolerant and fanatical Islam, the Somalia terrorist group blamed Kenya's military for its terrorist attacks, Taliban killed 13 Chinese climbers a few months back and blamed it on a US drone strike, Xinjiang terrorists blame China's government for their attacks in Beijing and Xinjiang, and now you're blaming the Thais for the terrorism directed at them. At some point you have to step back and look at the idealogy behind all of these attacks if you want to understand them. Why such consistently savage attacks by Muslims who consider themselves to be oppressed, across the planet?

Also this is the problem I have with groups like Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International. They're far more concerned about the rights of terrorists than with the rights of their victims. Same with you, at some point you have to admit that planting bombs and blowing up good cops is a childish, barbaric and (in my judgement) evil way to act in the world. It's a 7th century approach that doesn't belong in the 21st century.

Also I'm curious: if the Thais had information about who planted this b0mb and were able to stop it, but had to inflict pain (ie: torture) to get this information, do you think this would be preferable to losing more soldiers and police? That's Amnesty International and HRW's implicit position, that torture is never justified (along with drone strikes), and a clear example of where they (and you) are more concerned with the human rights of the terrorist than with the rest of the world's rights to live in peace.

Just because you do not agree with my opinions there is no need to put words in my mouth. Yes I agree the killing and wounding of ‘good cops’ is an evil action and so is the use of torture and extrajudicial killing by security forces.

To answer your question on the use of torture I’ll use the following quote:

“Some things we don't do, not because they never work, not because they aren't ''deserved," but because our very right to call ourselves decent human beings depends in part on our not doing them. Torture is in that category. We can win our war against the barbarians without becoming barbaric in the process”.

My view on Islamic extremism is it is rooted in politics, that requires a forceful response, but ultimately a political solution. Many also suscribe to the thought that fanatical sectarian killing is also based upon local politics and power plays; religion ultimately just being a cover/manipulation for the killings by the leaders.

The world over it is just one religion promoting terrorism.

Islam

Look at history. they are the same as the Catholic church during the dark ages. The difference being the Catholic church grew out of it Islam's are still bent on taking over the world. It has nothing to do with politics. Watch some of the interviews on BBC they have had with the Iman.

they only use politics as an excuse. Once they have reached a certain percentage of the population they start to try and change what ever government to Islamic beliefs.

They spout peace while they use terrorism.

Just the same as the red shirts here in Thailand spouted democracy while they tried to take over with guns.

It would seem all religions to one degree or another put women down. But Islam treat them as chattel.

There Koran contains the old testament with it's punishing God and many other books written with things in them like kill the infidels talk of holy wars. This is stuff written by a man who worked for his wife and founded a religion to put women down just before he flew off to heaven on a flying horse.

The words I highlighted show a new low for disparaging the Islamic faith & totally off topic, but I will briefly reply. The Koran has many passages extorting respect, love and fair treatment of women. However, it is true some practises do contradict the teachings of the Koran. The overall small number of Imams preaching violence & hate in the name of Islam are extremists & do not represent the majority.

I know many Thai Muslim women, none of whom are treated as chattels

Edited by simple1

^^^Utter <deleted>. Just go to Hat Yai or Bkk or KL to see how Muslim men act. How does forcing your women to dress up in a tent while you go out boozing and whoring constitute "respect for women"? Also the Holy Book advises good Muslims to lightly beat their wives in certain cases. Hadith are also full of hatred of non-Muslims and degradation of women.

^^^Utter <deleted>. Just go to Hat Yai or Bkk or KL to see how Muslim men act. How does forcing your women to dress up in a tent while you go out boozing and whoring constitute "respect for women"? Also the Holy Book advises good Muslims to lightly beat their wives in certain cases. Hadith are also full of hatred of non-Muslims and degradation of women.

Again off topic, but I will repeat:

The Koran has many passages extorting respect, love and fair treatment of women. However, it is true some practises do contradict the teachings of the Koran. I know many Thai Muslim women, none of whom are treated as chattels