moving to Isan

trineax

hi everyone.

last some months I have a big wish to move in Isan region but can not choose exactly the city.

mostly choosing between Khon Kaen and Udon bun thinking about Maha Sarakham and Roi Et also.

I've already been in some Isan cities but I wasn't there for long, and the impression not had time to emerge.

actually wanna move to the place where is not so lot of farangs like in Pattaya.

please advice me the optimal option where to move, what is not like a deep village and as I wrote above where is not too much farangs.

I want to live in quite and peacefull place and learn the culture of the Isan region :)

thanks.

Edited by trineax

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nowhere in Isaan is like Pattaya (thankfully) and I suggest heading out to anywhere that takes your fancy. but just use it as an initial base. Move around and visit until you find somewhere that fits the bill. Your initial feelings about a place might change once you have got here and taken of 'the rose tinted glasses' or got out of 'Holiday mode'

Good luck and happy exploring!

• Like 1

Mahasarakham and Roi-et are much the same, but Mahasarakham is more compact, and hence easier to get around if you don't have a vehicle. Roi-et has no songthaews within the city, MS seems to have a few going out towards the university. But it is compact enough that you should be able to walk anywhere.

MS is in the Khon Kaen Immigration District with easy bus connections to Kh. K., RE is in the Amnat Charoen Immigration District with connections that are somewhat more difficult, at least for those that don't speak Thai. If you decide to settle in RE, contact me, and I will explain the public transportaion options available.

I like Nong Khai although I do not live in the city. A few western bars and people but if you live just out side the city it is quiet and peaceful. As someone else stated some people get verrrrryyyy bored here. However if you like to fish, mountain bike, hiking, or most outdoor activities it is a good place. Good transportation, friendly people, and outside of the one poster language is not a problem here. The people may not understand English but they enjoy helping you as much as possible and if they don't know usually their children will. English, some French (laos influence) and German is spoken to some extent.

But take your time and visit a few places Isaan is a HUGE area and means many different things to many people.

Good luck

• Like 1

Will you be taking a wife with you, or looking for one in Isaan ?

Agree with the above advice about taking time to look around. Rent everything until you decide which place suits you best.

Then rent everything.

Im looking for one.

Is it true that in Udon Thani A LOT of farangs?

Edited by trineax

i live in chewuick 1 hour from korat its nice but im bored sensless, do you have a thai partner? do you speak thai? if not you will have communiation problems, and acting out what you want mostly wont work, becouse they are just not used to farangs, i was in the shop the other day without my wife and wanted some eggs forgot thai for egg, so did a buk buk buk sound elbows up and down then took an egg from my rear end ,now anywere elese in the world you would have been given an egg, i got a scrubbing brush!!! cheesy.gif

no I dont have anybody.speak thai a little.will improve my skill :)

I have already lived 6 km from Chiang Mai (up to north) for approx 8 months and there was no one farang except me.and nobody speaks english there but I felt comfortable enough.

Edited by trineax

One thing to keep in mind is that the climate down here in lower Isaan can be very different to Chang Mai,

As others have said, pick a place, but don't put down any roots too quickly, Rent and give it a minimum of 3 months, possibly 6, before saying this is where I live.

I don't understand what it is with farangs who state that 'I don't want to live in a place with lots of farangs'. Nobody forces anyone to associate with those that they don't want to meet. If you are in a place where farangs tend to meet simply avoid it, for every farang watering hole there will probably be a hundred Thai meeting places. Just go there.

I don't understand what it is with farangs who state that 'I don't want to live in a place with lots of farangs'. Nobody forces anyone to associate with those that they don't want to meet. If you are in a place where farangs tend to meet simply avoid it, for every farang watering hole there will probably be a hundred Thai meeting places. Just go there.

Some people are embarrassed by their female companions/wives,that's why they live in the back of beyond much of the time,they don't wish to have to explain to every tom dick and harry how they met the love of their lives.

Shame really because we all know how the scenario goes and it's quite simple to distinguish between the various Thai/Farang relationships that exist here.

The majority of expats I have met in my town have ex bargirl wives fact.

Some are open about it others won't mutter a word.

• Like 2

As far as Issan,in Udon There are more farangs,and clubs catering to farangs,and eating establishments than anywhere else in Issan.I mean there is A large farang population in Chiangmai,A large backpacking type person.And certain times of the year the air is of very poor quality.Khon kaen is nice but not an abundance of farangs.And very busy.

Some people are embarrassed by their female companions/wives,that's why they live in the back of beyond much of the time,they don't wish to have to explain to every tom dick and harry how they met the love of their lives.

Shame really because we all know how the scenario goes and it's quite simple to distinguish between the various Thai/Farang relationships that exist here.

The majority of expats I have met in my town have ex bargirl wives fact.

Some are open about it others won't mutter a word.

Lets be brutally honest about this, they live in the back of bumf**k nowhwere because thats where their wife is from.

Who in their right mind would choose to live in such places, no one.

The farang didnt choose where to live, his mrs determined it for him, no wonder there are so many sad loner alkie farangs wandering around.

As for explaining it, every Thai knows exactly what the score is, no need to explain.

Ever notice how these ex Pattaya girls never wai you?

• Like 2

great! thats the spirit!

i live in chewuick 1 hour from korat its nice but im bored sensless, do you have a thai partner? do you speak thai? if not you will have communiation problems, and acting out what you want mostly wont work, becouse they are just not used to farangs, i was in the shop the other day without my wife and wanted some eggs forgot thai for egg, so did a buk buk buk sound elbows up and down then took an egg from my rear end ,now anywere elese in the world you would have been given an egg, i got a scrubbing brush!!! cheesy.gif

no I dont have anybody.speak thai a little.will improve my skill smile.png
I have already lived 6 km from Chiang Mai (up to north) for approx 8 months and there was no one farang except me.and nobody speaks english there but I felt comfortable enough.

my wife is x bar girl and im not ashamed to admit it! all the people you meet who say my wife worked in a bank or tesco and so on, ok yea you take a big chance when you marry an x bar girl. and the odds are stacked, but the rewards are worth it, my wife is smart ,funny, and lovely and loyal,she did what she had to do for her and her family! there is no s/s in issan! you may think they are hard nosed women some are, but most are decent human beings that are just trying to live, how many of us could go to a strange place at a very young age and put up with all the stuff they have had to? i have the greatest respect for them, and lets not forget we created this market not them!!!! so please lets take a step back and have a bit more compashionwai2.gif

Who you chose to marry is no concern of mine, you dont need to justify your choice of partner to me or anyone else.

My point is most farang end up in the back of b*****k nowhere because thats where their teerak is from, noone in their right mind would choose to live there.

In your own words from post #6,

"i live in chewuick 1 hour from korat its nice but im bored sensless,"

Why would you choose to live in a place that makes you bored senseless?

Up to you, best of luck

my wife is x bar girl and im not ashamed to admit it! all the people you meet who say my wife worked in a bank or tesco and so on, ok yea you take a big chance when you marry an x bar girl. and the odds are stacked, but the rewards are worth it, my wife is smart ,funny, and lovely and loyal,she did what she had to do for her and her family! there is no s/s in issan! you may think they are hard nosed women some are, but most are decent human beings that are just trying to live, how many of us could go to a strange place at a very young age and put up with all the stuff they have had to? i have the greatest respect for them, and lets not forget we created this market not them!!!! so please lets take a step back and have a bit more compashionwai2.gif

WRONG, you say she " HAD TO DO ". She did not, but went for the lazy option. Some farangs (not you) are married to thais that were not prostitutes

Who are you to say she had a realistic alternatives?

People like you who condem all prostitutes as just taking the easy way out disgust me.

Perhaps you are in fact an easy way out too!

• Like 1

WRONG, you say she " HAD TO DO ". She did not, but went for the lazy option. Some farangs (not you) are married to thais that were not prostitutes

Who are you to say she had a realistic alternatives?

People like you who condem all prostitutes as just taking the easy way out disgust me.

Perhaps you are in fact an easy way out too!

Read my reply again. I did not condem anyone. She was not forced into prostitution.

Strange how so many topics about Thailand degenerate into a discussion about the merits (or not) of a bar girl wife....well after being married to one...23 years of visiting thailand including living in LOS for 8 years....i can honestly say i wouldnt ever marry a bar girl again and 90% of couples in this category split up....England is littered with them....

i dont care if folk exist as a "marriage of convenience" (i know one such, 31 year old Loei chick with a 60 year old english guy) until the lady goes on about how much £££ "they" have, which makes me laugh as apart from £££=sex they have nowt else in common

Will you be taking a wife with you, or looking for one in Isaan ?

Agree with the above advice about taking time to look around. Rent everything until you decide which place suits you best.

Then rent everything.

Im looking for one.

Is it true that in Udon Thani A LOT of farangs?

Why not find a nice Isaan girl there where you are now ( one who hasn't been there too long) and then have her bring you up and show you around?

There are many there that really would rather be at home in Isaan but are forced to work their for survival money.

Find one who hasn't been jaded yet.

She could be the answer to your dreams and you the answer to her's!

Even if it doesn't work into a good relationship, you still can't go wrong with a pretty, English speaking Issan girl to be your guide in NE Thailand.

Choke De

This is actually excellent advice.

For a reasonable consideration (agreed beforehand) an Isaan resident who is working in Pattaya could make an excellent tour guide. You would have a ready-made Thai speaker and 'extras' would be either in the contract or not.

You watch their eyes light up when you say "I am looking for someone to show me around Isaan for a month and I will pay you 300 Baht a day and/or extras" - a win/win commercial transaction that may in itself lead to greater things.

If you want to dispense with her services, after a given amount of time, you can then retrace your steps over the twons that you particularly liked.

Try Nong Bua Lamphu it has a good climate & nice people close to Udon and other districts. Accomadation & transportation are readily available at reasonable prices. From there you can branch out & explore truly a nice part of Nth E Thailand.....best of luck and safe journey...

• Like 1

Respect must be in the eye of the beholder.

I'd rather respect a young Thai-Lady, that makes an effort to support the family "on location" somewhere in the Isaan by working the farm and/or working as a seamstress or store clerk and possibly going to night-school.

If she wants to make an acquaintance with a Farang = every village has an Internet-Cafe in the meantime. That's the kind of Thai-Lady I respect.

What's with all those middle-aged female bar-empolyees, that started a career some 20 years ago in the "entertainment-business" and haven't managed to hit the "jackpot" by landing a Farang? = The majority ! They present themselves today as overweight, grumpy and disgruntled persons, knowing that they missed the "jackpot".

A rude awakening.

Relationships of Farangs and bar-ladies can last for many years, as is often-times mentioned here, as long as liberal amounts of money can be withdrawn from the nearest ATM.

Otherwise the Farang may be in for a rude awakening.

Nevermind, I don't want to spoil anyone's party.

Cheers.

A good reply. I think the O/P has a working brain, and going to Issan first looking for a partner, and not going to Pattaya looking in a bar. Take your time O/P and good luck

Respect must be in the eye of the beholder.

I'd rather respect a young Thai-Lady, that makes an effort to support the family "on location" somewhere in the Isaan by working the farm and/or working as a seamstress or store clerk and possibly going to night-school.

If she wants to make an acquaintance with a Farang = every village has an Internet-Cafe in the meantime. That's the kind of Thai-Lady I respect.

What's with all those middle-aged female bar-empolyees, that started a career some 20 years ago in the "entertainment-business" and haven't managed to hit the "jackpot" by landing a Farang? = The majority ! They present themselves today as overweight, grumpy and disgruntled persons, knowing that they missed the "jackpot".

A rude awakening.

Relationships of Farangs and bar-ladies can last for many years, as is often-times mentioned here, as long as liberal amounts of money can be withdrawn from the nearest ATM.

Otherwise the Farang may be in for a rude awakening.

Nevermind, I don't want to spoil anyone's party.

Cheers.

A good reply. I think the O/P has a working brain, and going to Issan first looking for a partner, and not going to Pattaya looking in a bar. Take your time O/P and good luck

What rubbish.

On location seamstress, night school, internet cafe.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

Many villages have no direct phone lines let alone internet.

Nearest to me is a 30 mile drive!!

Fact is they can earn 10 times as much as a prostitute than working on the land which for most is the only alternative other than working in a Bangkok sweat shop for next to nothing.

Above they were critized for taking the easy way out. Only an ignorant a88**hole would consider prostitution an easy option.

For many it is the only way out of poverty and only the strong can hack it. I admire them for their strength and determination to try and have a better life. If on the way they bullshit a few farangs who really think they can buy them for life rather than just a good time then so what. My experience of most farangs and their attitudes leads me to think they deserve what they get.

As for the ATM comment this is the same the world over. When the money runs out so does the American wife, the english wife ,here, the USA, the UK, Europe, Timbuktoo makes no difference so don't try to use it to criticise Thai prostitutes.

Rant Over

• Like 1