webfact

POLITICS
Abhisit, Suthep 'ready to face trial'

Prapasri Osathanon,
Piyanut Tumnukasetchai,
The Nation

30218257-01_big.jpg

Duo threaten to counter-sue attorney general for wrongful indictment

BANGKOK: -- THE TWO top Democrats facing charges over the 2010 political mayhem declared yesterday that they were ready to face trial and fight for their corner in court.

Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva and MP Suthep Thaugsuban also threatened to file a counter-lawsuit accusing the Attorney General of wrongfully deciding to indict and prosecute them.

Abhisit said he and Suthep would report to the prosecutors within tomorrow's deadline to acknowledge the charges of instigating others to kill or attempt to kill during the 2010 red-shirt protests.

The prosecutors had previously summoned them to acknowledge the outcome of the prosecution review before deciding to make a decision on a trial, he said.

The Democrat leader also voiced confidence that he and Suthep could clear their names because relevant legal provisions and factual evidence were in the defence's favour. He added that as prime minister and deputy PM, he and Suthep had the legal mandate to oversee the Centre for Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES), which was tasked with handling crowds.

Also, he said, a series of judicial rulings have confirmed that the protests were illegal and not in accordance with peaceful assembly, the right to which is enshrined in the Constitution. He added that the prosecutors also neglected to address the issue of the armed "men in black".

The prosecution curiously chose not to mention the presence of armed men despite the ongoing trials on terrorism charges involving a number of rally organisers and red guards, he said.

DSI's role questioned

The former PM also said the prosecutors failed to heed his question on the mandate of the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) to look into the supervision of the CRES. The case should be under the purview of the National Anti-Corruption Commission, he pointed out.

The DSI cited in its report that the two might have abused their power in overseeing the CRES, before making an assertion about its mandate on grounds that the case was related to a criminal offence, he said as he questioned the DSI's legal reasoning in taking up the case. He said he was also suspicious of the timing of the indictment, which coincides with the House debate on amnesty, hinting at an ulterior motive to force the opposition to support blanket amnesty.

Suthep said many saw the prosecution's decision as a means to help the government push the amnesty bill through.

"If the government continues pushing for the bill's passage in second and third readings, I will intensify the fight by putting my life at stake," he said.

He added that he wanted to remind Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra that she might have to go into exile if she continued putting her family's interests before those of the country. He alleged that the amnesty bill, when turned into law, would favour fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

DSI director-general Tarit Pengdith, meanwhile, said his investigators had worked in a straightforward manner leading to the indictment of Abhisit and Suthep.

He said that although the prosecutors had decided to try the two in a single count of offence on grounds that the crowd-control operations had one objective - to disperse the protests - he still believes the two should be tried for each death caused.

He said the judicial process for cases related to the mayhem would continue as per usual until the amnesty bill goes into effect. He also said that Abhisit and Suthep would be tried for criminal offence and not abuse of power.

As for the mayhem-related deaths, the DSI has sent 52 cases back to local police to investigate further and provide complete reports.

Of these cases, 15 had already been ruled upon by judicial inquests on the cause of death. Following the inquests, local police submitted 13 reports on each death for the DSI to review before deciding to drop or to seek prosecution review on criminal accountability.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-30

Ex PM Abhisit comes from a very wealthy family based in England. He was educated at Eton and Oxford ? He wouldn't be the slighest bit concerned about court trials and jail time.

Its all Asian mind games.

Yingluck was "educated" in the States. What's your point? At least Abhisit learned something when he was abroad! His English is impeccable.

• Like 1

Indictment against Abhisit, Suthep to be wrapped up tomorrow
By English News

13830985798434.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 30 – The public prosecutor will complete an indictment against former premier Abhisit Vejjajiva and his deputy Suthep Thaugsubhan tomorrow.

Watcharin Panurattana, spokesman of the Attorney General Office, said the Special Litigation Department was instructed to finish the indictment tomorrow so that the two suspects would acknowledge the allegations when they appear before the Attorney General.

Mr Abhisit and Mr Suthep will be indicted on murder charges in giving orders to security agencies to disperse anti-government demonstrators during the months-long 2010 rally at Rajprasong intersection, which resulted in the deaths of nearly 100 people and injuries of hundreds.

According to the public prosecutor, their actions were against Articles 80, 83, 84, 90 and 288 of the Criminal Code.

When Mr Abhisit and Mr Suthep meet with the public prosecutor tomorrow, they are to acknowledge receipt of the indictment, said Mr Vatcharin, adding that they would be immediately sent to the Criminal Court to be formally charged if they refuse to exercise their parliamentary immunity.

Lawmakers are protected from arrest or court trial during a parliamentary session. Mr Abhisit and Mr Suthep are Democrat MPs.

He said the Attorney General’s order was final and the suspects could not seek changes in the indictment, and a contradictory opinion of the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) would not be considered.

Mr Watcharin said as the two officials ordered the crackdown on demonstrators, resulting in the deaths of many people, their case could not be determined as more than one case since a single order was issued.

The DSI, however, believes differently to the Attorney General.

DSI director general Tarit Pengdith said the pair’s offences in connection with political suppression in 2010 involved several separate cases and lawsuits against them should be filed separately.

Mr Watcharin contended that the court would eventually combine the cases into a single trial and the maximum punishment is the same execution.

Relatives of those killed in the political unrest can file civil and criminal charges, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-30

This is what 2 real men look and act like. Thaksin is a coward.

Abisit is ok, but i would'nt trust the 'shadow' on his left any further than i could throw him.

Abhisit was the whole time nothing more than a puppet dancing to whatever his puppet master (the shadow on his left side) ordered him.

Abhisit faces now a trial only because of Suthep.

Suthep is the one who should faces ALL charges, and while they are up to it maybe drag his son to trial also.

By the way, this is about Abhisit and Suthep.

It is beyond any believe why some people need absolutely to name an other person who has NOTHING to do with the this thread.

• Like 1

A political beat up by the PTP who must en sure this production from DSI dose not get egg on their face, their dismal performance so far has lead political observers abroad to think otherwise and lets face it, it would be hardly unlikely that Abhisit and Suthep would give an order to shoot to kill, orders would be given to control , disperse the crowd of out of control thugs and red shirts and restore order, what actually took place would be out of their hands and in the hands of on the ground commanders , continual civil disobedience in any country cannot be tolerated, what happened , was a too easy, tolerant administration trying to clean up, long after they should have.bah.gif

There likely is no constitution in the western world that would be able to find a lawful way of avoiding the indictment of Abhisit and Suthep on numerous accounts. Therefore I suspect that what little credibility remains of Thailand's application of the law during these past few years would evaporate if they are not indicted on at least some counts.

• Like 1

Office of Attorney General set to indict former PM Abhisit and former deputy PM Suthep

BANGKOK, 30 October 2013 (NNT) - The Office of the Attorney General is set to charge former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and former deputy prime minister Suthep Thaugsuban for murder over the the 2010 political protests by October 31.

Mr. Abhisit has responded by filing another lawsuit against the office as he claimed that it has fallen under the abusive influence of the government, and that the allegations brought froth is the government’s way to pressure him and Mr. Suthep to accept the blanket amnesty bill.

Department of Special Investigation (DSI) chief Tharit Pengdith revealed that the 2 democrats will be charged on a case-by-case basis in regard to their alleged crimes.

Furthermore, Mr. Tharit has stated that no charges will be brought against the military officers who were under orders to carry out the crackdown.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-10-30 footer_n.gif

Abhisit is also a Newcastle United supporter,so I think

he deserves a break,after loosing to the Mackems again.

regards Worgeordie

You often hear KT's supporters chiding Abhisit about how the Dems never win elections etc., etc.

Well that won't bother Abhisit one bit. He's a Toon supporter and they're used to not winning anything. wink.png

I suggest you revise your opinion on role models.

I suggest you stop telling people what to do.

I'm sure he's man enough to answer our conversation himself

A conversation? I though it was another smart..s comment from my red friend fab4..

Abisit is ok, but i would'nt trust the 'shadow' on his left any further than i could throw him.

Abhisit was the whole time nothing more than a puppet dancing to whatever his puppet master (the shadow on his left side) ordered him.

Abhisit faces now a trial only because of Suthep.

Suthep is the one who should faces ALL charges, and while they are up to it maybe drag his son to trial also.

By the way, this is about Abhisit and Suthep.

It is beyond any believe why some people need absolutely to name an other person who has NOTHING to do with the this thread.

Oh THAKSIN has everything to do with this. He is calling the shots and ordering his opponents be shut down so he can conquer. C'mon wake up. Its so obvious. And so one sided.

• Like 1

I'm sure he's not. He's such a sissy, he can't return as promised, and far too scared of real men like these, who remain here despite pressure.

The little swindler communicates via skype for crying out loud. Lied, saying he'd come marching back in support of his rent a mobs; but instead has people dead to play victim like he wanted. His time will come, that's for sure.

Ex PM Abhisit comes from a very wealthy family based in England. He was educated at Eton and Oxford ? He wouldn't be the slighest bit concerned about court trials and jail time.

Yingluck was "educated" in the States. What's your point? At least Abhisit learned something when he was abroad! His English is impeccable.

Actually Abhisit has a first class honours degree in politics and economics from Oxford.... you don't buy them. wink.png

Followed by a Masters in economics from St. John's Oxford. You don't buy them either.

And btw he wasn't technically 'abroad', he was born in England and was educated in Eton.

Edited by yingyo
  • Like 1

A conversation? I though it was another smart..s comment from my red friend fab4..

As you insist on answering for the person I was having a conversation with, I'll explain. He stated that abhisit were suthep were what real men act and look like to him.

With the evidence of abhisit and suthep (in print and verified) being, at the very least, liars, I suggested that he revise his opinion. Perhaps you would like to look up the meaning of suggest. Maybe you wouldn't. See what I did there? A suggestion is not a command and as, I understand, that this forum still allows free speech I will take advantage of it when I wish.

By the way, I am not your red or otherwise friend, I'm just another poster on this forum. Unless that was a request to "friend" me? I think there's a way to do that in the profile page.

Actually Abhisit has a first class honours degree in politics and economics from Oxford.... you don't buy them. wink.png

Followed by a Masters in economics from St. John's Oxford. You don't buy them either.

And btw he wasn't technically 'abroad', he was born in England and was educated in Eton.

Terrible people skills though, you can't buy them either.coffee1.gif

Edited by fab4

Terrible people skills though, you can't buy them either.coffee1.gif

Probably more to do with the people. :whistling:

As for people skills, maybe he could study er, umm, Yingluck who tryeth to ah, speaketh, to the, er other people of the other, er country not from Thailand, who we, er invite for very good business, um, in to Thailand.