ดีใจที่พบแล้ว

nakriian

Please confirm if my sentence relays the correct meaning.

Here is the context. Two people meet on the street. They haven't seen each other for a while. They talk for a bit and at end of the conversation, one person says I was glad to see you (past tense).

ดีใจที่พบ just means "glad to see you" and this won't work.

ดีใจที่ได้พบ just means "glad to have got to see you" and this won't work either.

So, as it stands now, I am using ดีใจที่พบแล้ว, but I don't feel comfortable with this sentence. I want a native Thai speaker to take a look at this and give me the correct sentence to use in this scenerio.

I would have said ผมดีใจมากที่เราเจอะกัน or ผมดีใจมากที่เราได้เจอะกัน but it would be redundant to use ได้ because เจอะ already implies it happened already.

You can also cut out มาก. ผมดีใจที่เราเจอะกัน

I would have said ผมดีใจมากที่เราเจอะกัน or ผมดีใจมากที่เราได้เจอะกัน but it would be redundant to use ได้ because เจอะ already implies it happened already.

You can also cut out มาก. ผมดีใจที่เราเจอะกัน

The word is เจอ not เจอะ. And it means to meet, to see. And เจอ doesn't imply the past tense. The context of the entire sentence does.

• Like 1

If you insist in using พบ it should be ดีใจที่เราพบกัน you can also use ได้ as in ดีใจที่เราได้พบกัน but it's really not necessary it's already understood it happened.

แล้ว is also unnecessary for the same reason. In fact, if you use แล้ว the meaning would be more like "I'm glad we eventually met."

Why don't you look up the word เจอะ....

I am a native Thai, so thanks for the lessons...

Edited by Mole

If you insist in using พบ it should be ดีใจที่เราพบกัน you can also use ได้ as in ดีใจที่เราได้พบกัน but it's really not necessary it's already understood it happened.

แล้ว is also unnecessary for the same reason. In fact, if you use แล้ว the meaning would be more like "I'm glad we eventually met."

Er

Coma probably hasn't noticed that there are alternative spellings

On the other site a Thai native said that ได้เจอกัน meant to get the opportunity to meet. Let's face it, if it is there one has to, either ignore it, or try to give some meaning to it. In English I ignore all those extra words. Lovely to (get to )meet you at last. I feel that when translating from English Thai puts in a lot of extra words from English and they stick.

I presume to agree with you Mole, that in ดีใจทีเจอกัน เจอ has to have past; you can not be speaking to someone unless you have met them, but few of us belong to the "keep it simple; stupid!" school of thought.

I am not sure about " Goodbye it was nice knowing you" even in English! ได้รูจัก is in an old phrasebook which I took to mean 'opportunity' also, because there is practically no past tense of รถจัก to me.

โชกดีครับยินดีที่ได้รู้จัก ? Would you understand such an utterance?

No two people will understand every nuance in the same way, I would like to think that Thai doesn't try.

Er

Coma probably hasn't noticed that there are alternative spellings

On the other site a Thai native said that ได้เจอกัน meant to get the opportunity to meet. Let's face it, if it is there one has to, either ignore it, or try to give some meaning to it. In English I ignore all those extra words. Lovely to (get to )meet you at last. I feel that when translating from English Thai puts in a lot of extra words from English and they stick.

I presume to agree with you Mole, that in ดีใจทีเจอกัน เจอ has to have past; you can not be speaking to someone unless you have met them, but few of us belong to the "keep it simple; stupid!" school of thought.

I am not sure about " Goodbye it was nice knowing you" even in English! ได้รูจัก is in an old phrasebook which I took to mean 'opportunity' also, because there is practically no past tense of รถจัก to me.

โชกดีครับยินดีที่ได้รู้จัก ? Would you understand such an utterance?

No two people will understand every nuance in the same way, I would like to think that Thai doesn't try.

By your way of thinking, it is the word เจอ and not the context of the sentence.Therefore in this sentece [เจอกันใหม่ ] then I guess เจอ is past tense also? Or..

By your way of thinking, it is the word เจอ and not the context of the sentence.Therefore in this sentece [เจอกันใหม่ ] then I guessed เจอ is past tense also? Or..

I am not a grammarian so don't expect erudition.

Someone added a word ได้ to เจอกัน the shared activity of meeting, which grammatically puts the meeting in the past, อดีต (a time which has past), that can be a millisecond or anything longer, when clearly the shared activity started in the past and is still progressing.

For this reason it is redundant.

However I know of at least one native speaker who intends it in here ; ดีใจที่ได้เจอกัน to mean 'get to meet you' . But in the rough and tumble of a cockers p. at the embassy, who cares what it means?

ดีใจที่ได้เจอกัน sounds good to me. Honestly, I think tgeezer has a valid point. I do think it is context and general common sense perception. ดีใจที่ได้เจอกัน can mean "glad to see you" or "glad to have seen you" based on different variables. Adding แล้ว to make something past tense is correct sometimes, but in this particular case, it is not common probably. It doesn't make it absolutely wrong though, it is just not how it is said usually. So ดีใจที่ได้เจอกัน or ดีใจที่พบกัน (either one) are good enough to mean (I was glad to see you) or (it was good to see you). It is more than obvious I have met them already and speaking in past tense.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

well, i usually say ดีใจที่ได้เจอกัน (ค่ะ). i don't care about the tense that much coz it's Thai (normal speaking sometimes doesn't agree with grammar ).

if somebody says ดีใจที่ได้ 'เจอะ' กัน, it will sound weird and funny to me. (try to say it to your Thai friend and see what happens! lol )

Also speaking this way sounds more natural! :)

just my personal opinion...