Naomi Campbell's skin whitened for Vogue Thailand cover

webfact

Naomi Campbell's skin whitened for Vogue Thailand cover
By Coconuts Bangkok

naomidiptic.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Vogue Thailand is catching flak for a horrendous photoshop job on Naomi Campbell for their November issue cover.

Most obviously, they lightened the Jamaican-British supermodel's skin to an almost pasty hue... a far cry from her normal deep ebony luster. (See photos above.)

They also took the knife to her chin and nose and switched her brown eyes to blue. Oops!

After the cover's release, social media in Thailand was abuzz with chatter about this being another case of the Kingdom's advertising and media industries reinforcing stereotypes that lighter skin is better... [read more...]

Source: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/10/30/naomi-campbells-skin-whitened-vogue-thailand-cover

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-10-30

• Like 1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This just threw so many things back a few centuries...like women's lib, black women's lib, dark Thai- women's lib (if there is such a thing).

So many people should be ashamed and many others should be outraged...but than again...mai pen rai!

• Like 1

Storm... Meet Tea Cup...

Seriously, Vogue changed her eye colour? Shut the front door! Guess Coconuts has never heard the advancements in optical technology... Contact-frickin-lenses! They also come in a variety of colours! Un-f***ing-believable!

The jaw photoshop is BS as well... Angles you f***ing amateurs!

The only bit that does make sense is this "Before we jump to any conclusions about bigotry, let's just agree that the cover looks like crap and does a disservice to Campbell's natural beauty."

Indeed it's a shit cover...

• Like 1

Gave Naomi a oriental/Japanese look for this part of the world I guess where light colored skin is considered prettier...more HiSo. However, for me, give me tan to dark skin any day over white skin...don't get me wrong, white skin is beautiful also but it's just I prefer tan compared to a pale, sickly looking skin color.

But when it comes to Naomi, I wouldn't get involved with that female even for a one night stand--she's well known to be extremely temperamental and high maintenance. On second thought, maybe I could put-up with her for one night.

shame on her for alowing it, as said she is great the way she is (less her very bad attitude of course) never the less, i would!!!!!!giggle.gif

Well she is doing the job for the money. And there is nothing wrong with it.

Gave Naomi a oriental/Japanese look for this part of the world I guess where light colored skin is considered prettier...more HiSo. However, for me, give me tan to dark skin any day over white skin...don't get me wrong, white skin is beautiful also but it's just I prefer tan compared to a pale, sickly looking skin color.

But when it comes to Naomi, I wouldn't get involved with that female even for a one night stand--she's well known to be extremely temperamental and high maintenance. On second thought, maybe I could put-up with her for one night.

She appearance already has a Chinese influence, I think her grandmother was Chinese-Jamaican?

• Like 1

Let's try something different: Make a magazine cover using Madame Prime Minister's portrait, then photoshop her skin into a nice, deep, warm capucchino color and give her fuller lips.

The superimposed title could read: "I've disguised myself as Naomi Campbell, because 'white' is ugly and stupid".

And then let all hell break lose and let the defamation lawsuits rain down.

Unfortunately there exist no satirical magazines in this country as very, very few Thais comprehend satire.

This almost pathological obsession with 'white' is starting to go on my nerves.

• Like 1

Let's try something different: Make a magazine cover using Madame Prime Minister's portrait, then photoshop her skin into a nice, deep, warm capucchino color and give her fuller lips.

The superimposed title could read: "I've disguised myself as Naomi Campbell, because 'white' is ugly and stupid".

And then let all hell break lose and let the defamation lawsuits rain down.

Unfortunately there exist no satirical magazines in this country as very, very few Thais comprehend satire.

This almost pathological obsession with 'white' is starting to go on my nerves.

If there ever was a magazine cover like you describe I'd bet a baht to a satang there'd be a copies hanging on the walls all over the White House with darts sticking out of them. smile.png

Edited by bigbamboo

It´s nothing wrong with using Photoshop. But setting brightness to 100% and then rub out half of the face is just odd.

Maybe someday we will get rid of this disease as it just gets boring when everyone looks the same. Most of Thai (Asian) advertising seems stolen directly from "The Clone Wars"

Edited by I knew this would happen