Laundry service started next door - wife allergic to chemicals

tropo

I always think out of the box so tell me why you cant do this; go into the laundry business. Undercut her business so that the customers go to you instead of your neighbor. Use a mild soap you can live with but dont try to make money. Your going to out last your neighbor.

Then after your neighbor goes out of business be creative. Maybe go into business with her and all you control is the soap etc.

Well that surely is thinking outside of the (soap) box

What do you suggest if another of the OP's neighbors opens a short time place?

I always think out of the box so tell me why you cant do this; go into the laundry business. Undercut her business so that the customers go to you instead of your neighbor. Use a mild soap you can live with but dont try to make money. Your going to out last your neighbor.

Then after your neighbor goes out of business be creative. Maybe go into business with her and all you control is the soap etc.

I suppose you could do that if you had a Thai partner who wanted to spend all day washing laundry, but for a retired couple both on retirement visas, that suggestion would not be a good idea.

I suppose you could do that if you had a Thai partner who wanted to spend all day washing laundry, but for a retired couple both on retirement visas, that suggestion would not be a good idea.

How about a laundry Thai lady comming and just doing laundry out of your front. This is not forever. Its just to run your neighbor out of business.

Look at anti allergy meds?

Seriously? Absolutely not! We'll move before I start feeding her more drugs. She already uses some anti-allergy medicine on occasion for some food allergies and even now she's taking cold medication to clear her nose when it gets bad.

Maybe a different medication could solve all issues?

There is a government department that can and will close down businesses who are not allowed to operate in certain areas and/or buildings.

As an example they once shut down one of my neighbours who built an industrial size freezer in his standard semi detached shophouse to run a food supply business. The freezer cooled everything around it down, causing condensation on the walls and floors of the neighbouring houses.

The mentioned government department was called and they came straight away, looked at the problem and decided that you cannot have an industrial size freezer in a residential area, or a shophouse (I do not know the exact criteria).

The freezer was turned off for good, and eventually removed. No court case necessary.

When that same neighbour later built his freezer in another house in the same area, he had an outdoor generator running 24/7 connected to his new freezer. This caused a noise problem, and again the department was called. They came, and told him to remove the generator which he did.

Similarly, it could be illegal to run a laundry from a residence. I assume they have big machinery, chemical spills and what not, which might be illegal? Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to call. Unfortunately I neither have the name nor number, but at least the department exists, and should be possible to find.

As someone already pointed out, anywhere BUT Thailand, you could start a war that you will never win. Unfortunate, but LOS is apparently NOT the place to complain as someone's perceived "loss of face" all too often results in the complainant suffering a Loss of Life.

• Like 1

Seriously? Absolutely not! We'll move before I start feeding her more drugs. She already uses some anti-allergy medicine on occasion for some food allergies and even now she's taking cold medication to clear her nose when it gets bad.

We have a different philosophy on medication and health. I can't believe that anyone would consider medication as an answer to this problem. We're talking about a young person in the prime of life. You're suggesting that she should take drugs for years on end to cope with chemicals from a business next door? If that is our only choice, we're out of there.

I want to make this crystal clear as many have suggested it. We will not solve this problem with drugs. There's always negative sides to drugs. They're a last choice when all other options are out.

Edited by tropo

There is a government department that can and will close down businesses who are not allowed to operate in certain areas and/or buildings.

As an example they once shut down one of my neighbours who built an industrial size freezer in his standard semi detached shophouse to run a food supply business. The freezer cooled everything around it down, causing condensation on the walls and floors of the neighbouring houses.

The mentioned government department was called and they came straight away, looked at the problem and decided that you cannot have an industrial size freezer in a residential area, or a shophouse (I do not know the exact criteria).

The freezer was turned off for good, and eventually removed. No court case necessary.

When that same neighbour later built his freezer in another house in the same area, he had an outdoor generator running 24/7 connected to his new freezer. This caused a noise problem, and again the department was called. They came, and told him to remove the generator which he did.

Similarly, it could be illegal to run a laundry from a residence. I assume they have big machinery, chemical spills and what not, which might be illegal? Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to call. Unfortunately I neither have the name nor number, but at least the department exists, and should be possible to find.

As someone already pointed out, anywhere BUT Thailand, you could start a war that you will never win. Unfortunate, but LOS is apparently NOT the place to complain as someone's perceived "loss of face" all too often results in the complainant suffering a Loss of Life.

.. and you make a very good point. We live in a townhouse with no security other than our front gate. We are exposed and not worth much in the grand scheme of things.

If this is our only option left, we'll move. It's not worth the risk.

Edited by tropo

Before you move couldn't your wife have a chat with the laundry lady about changing the brand of perfume or what ever chemical she is using for cleaning? If she tells the lady how bad her symptoms are then maybe she may change products. Worth a try eh? Minor symptoms like the runny nose is no problem, but the dizziness does make it sound like a bad reaction and one that has to be dealt with.

GL!

Edited by kevozman1

Before you move couldn't your wife have a chat with the laundry lady about changing the brand of perfume or what ever chemical she is using for cleaning? If she tells the lady how bad her symptoms are then maybe she may change products. Worth a try eh? Minor symptoms like the runny nose is no problem, but the dizziness does make it sound like a bad reaction and one that has to be dealt with.

GL!

Yes, we will certainly try this approach, but it's hard to imagine that she'll change her home made brew which has probably server her well for many years.

OP: Often the "softly, softly" approach works in Thailand but as I understand the problem your neighbour is using domestic premises for a business purpose and as a result of that illegal activity is causing health damage etc to your wife.

No point in pussy footing around with apologetically having a quiet word with the neighbour. Time for "hard ball'.

In the past I have had problems with Thais when i know they are in the wrong, and problems have been solved by me taking strong action.

Either yourself or your Landlord or even better the appropriate enviromental department should formally tell her to immediately stop her unlawful home laundry service or whatever. If she does not then take her to Court.

Edited by R123

We have a different philosophy on medication and health. I can't believe that anyone would consider medication as an answer to this problem. We're talking about a young person in the prime of life. You're suggesting that she should take drugs for years on end to cope with chemicals from a business next door? If that is our only choice, we're out of there.

I want to make this crystal clear as many have suggested it. We will not solve this problem with drugs. There's always negative sides to drugs. They're a last choice when all other options are out.

Not exactly uncommon for people with allergies to take medication is it?

Talk to the neighbour or move house then, I only made a suggestion.

Edited by davethailand

Not exactly uncommon for people with allergies to take medication is it?

Talk to the neighbour or move house then, I only made a suggestion.

No it's not, but it is silly to knowingly expose yourself to allergens that you can avoid and take medicine to cope. For now we're avoiding it by keeping the door closed.

My wife seldom needs medication for her allergies - she just stays away from the food she is allergic too.,

"but for a retired couple both on retirement visas, that suggestion would not be a good idea"

"We're talking about a young person in the prime of life"

Not sure about retirement visa and young person would be correct in a thread.

My wife is in her 20's. As my dependent she has a retirement visa.

"but for a retired couple both on retirement visas, that suggestion would not be a good idea"

Your wife isn't Thai then?

No, she isn't.

No, she isn't.

Ah ok.

No, she isn't.

Ah ok.

So what does that make us in the grand scheme of things? Probably rather unimportant nuisances as far as Thais running a business would be concerned?

Rule number 1 never buy in pattaya. Then if something like this happens you are free to move after your contract. To many times i hear of horrible neighbours moving next door thats why i will always have my property invested in my home country and be free to roam here. If something happens i can move. Remeber easy to buy hard to sell.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Rule number 1 never buy in pattaya. Then if something like this happens you are free to move after your contract. To many times i hear of horrible neighbours moving next door thats why i will always have my property invested in my home country and be free to roam here. If something happens i can move. Remeber easy to buy hard to sell.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

My landlord is learning this the hard way - at both of his properties. I often here him complaining about why he didn't just rent.

He will get the laundry sorted then some ignorant Thai will open a karaoke.

I agree. You just never know what's going in next door. When you've solved one problem a bigger one is sure to follow.

Or worse yet another Lucifers or a Muslim Mosque Blaring out the word at 4:30 am at 2000 watts of power. I moved 4 weeks after a Mosque opened up on the darkside years ago.

The biggest problem with the detergent she is using is (most likely from the Shampoo plant-vine) is the other non organic alternatives will be much harsher for a person with allergies.

And Pattaya is nothing like Hua Hin. If you want to open up a laundry in residential town house area the mayor in Pattaya will be certain to not do anything to cause waves. I never heard a laundry in Pattaya at a townhouse illegal by any means. Nothing to sacred in Pattaya the zoning laws are exceptionally weak & never enforced as you will be shutting down someones cousins business to appease a Farang.

• Like 1

Or worse yet another Lucifers or a Muslim Mosque Blaring out the word at 4:30 am at 2000 watts of power. I moved 4 weeks after a Mosque opened up on the darkside years ago.

The biggest problem with the detergent she is using is (most likely from the Shampoo plant-vine) is the other non organic alternatives will be much harsher for a person with allergies.

And Pattaya is nothing like Hua Hin. If you want to open up a laundry in residential town house area the mayor in Pattaya will be certain to not do anything to cause waves. I never heard a laundry in Pattaya at a townhouse illegal by any means. Nothing to sacred in Pattaya the zoning laws are exceptionally weak & never enforced as you will be shutting down someones cousins business to appease a Farang.

So in Pattaya there are zones for Laundry shops? coffee1.gif

And you think the Mayor himself would deal with a minor issue like this? cheesy.gif

And you think the Mayor himself would deal with a minor issue like this? cheesy.gif

Lived in 4 houses in pattaya there is no such zoning law for commercial business in residential areas. Zero & absolutely no one to complain to hear the words. I know you gotta be Jokin Darrendsd no one in Pattaya is that naive!

Lived in 4 houses in pattaya there is no such zoning law for commercial business in residential areas. Zero & absolutely no one to complain to hear the words. I know you gotta be Jokin Darrendsd no one in Pattaya is that naive!

You post above mine references to zoning laws in Pattaya, as this thread is about Laundry shops it is safe to assume that you were referring to zoning of Laundry shops, if you were not referring to laundry shops why on earth would you mention zoning laws? It makes no sense to refer to them within the context of this topic

Just to point out that my reply was a sarcastic one which obviously didn't realize went over your head w00t.gif

Edited by darrendsd