tips for luxury look in house...

kb ... budget ... whistling.gif

Sure. So what I have hoped and what it will be is 2 different things. Front of the house is the lounge 12x8m. 5bedrm, etc etc.

there's something very wrong in this thread! either Crossy was already active or the usual suspects have not yet discovered it.

example:

"why do you yada yada need five bedrooms yakety-yak when you can sleep blah-blah only in one at at time blah-blah?"

Cause the house is to biggety big.

That's wiggety why!

you arrogant Farang bla-blah just want to show off yakety-yak by building an ugly huge house to impress some poor Thais! most probably you will also be yada-yada stupid enough and waste a huge amount of money on a couple of very expensive cars whereas a Honda Wave will also transport you from Point A to Point B laugh.png

addendum: and i'm sure you'll install unnecessarily some energy wasting aircons instead of adjusting to the heat and have a few fans circulating hot air in your rooms.

I come from the driest hottest state in the hottest continent in the world already. Our summers out do anything Thailand has ever seen and ever will. If you think no way, I'm from South Australia. Summers reach 50 degrees. But of course I will have air conditioner for my daughter. She must be comfortable. Our house is nearly 300sq/m, not that big compared to some. Not the biggest around for sure. Maybe a little big, maybe not.

Btw, i have Honda Click not the wave. Click was cheaper, no cars for me either. Just enough to get to the shop and back home again. No maids for us either sorry to say. It's actually quite boring and un arrogant. The way I like it.

It's not as impressive as your place, not by a long way!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kris,

very important is that the luxury look does not clash with functionality! both, design and functionality have to be matched and balanced, which is not an easy task. and no architect and especially no interior designer will match your actual own desires and wishes especially as you are not sure at all what you want exactly. they will just force their own ideas on you.

my personal view is that 90% of "àssitect" designed homes (no matter what country) are based on despicable mental thoughts originating from sick brains.

Naam, can't afford anyone to design our place, but getting some ideas is handy. My idea of luxury is not someone elses maybe. High ceilings and big windows like the Morakot pics is what I like, not extreme, but just nice without going over the top. Believe me we are quite simple folk, but given the choice something a little nicer is nice to have without spending much more. Our budget is maximum 1.5 million baht. Some pay more for their cars. I don't even have a carport. I saved some by doing the build myself. Fingers crossed, so far so good! When it's finished I plan to do a build thread then you can tell me how bad it is :)

Open plan living in the tropics is the go ,big open windows and plenty of breeze , helps keep the mould away and AC bills down ! coffee1.gif ..... Luv ya style Naam,clap2.gif bit out of my budget though Luv to know what sort of BBQ set up you got ?? thumbsup.gif PS Sometimes simple insde can have that wow Hi So look as well ... Ckodee OP !!

• Like 1

I would suggest a really nice (semi-open) kitchen, folding terrace doors to your terrace, proper plastering and do ot use the 'standard' used (cheap) building materials (door-frames, doors, etc). It will cost you now a little bit more but the result will do forget you these extra money.....

• Like 1

Kris,

very important is that the luxury look does not clash with functionality! both, design and functionality have to be matched and balanced, which is not an easy task. and no architect and especially no interior designer will match your actual own desires and wishes especially as you are not sure at all what you want exactly. they will just force their own ideas on you.

my personal view is that 90% of "àssitect" designed homes (no matter what country) are based on despicable mental thoughts originating from sick brains.

Naam, can't afford anyone to design our place, but getting some ideas is handy. My idea of luxury is not someone elses maybe. High ceilings and big windows like the Morakot pics is what I like, not extreme, but just nice without going over the top. Believe me we are quite simple folk, but given the choice something a little nicer is nice to have without spending much more. Our budget is maximum 1.5 million baht. Some pay more for their cars. I don't even have a carport. I saved some by doing the build myself. Fingers crossed, so far so good! When it's finished I plan to do a build thread then you can tell me how bad it is smile.png

Open plan living in the tropics is the go ,big open windows and plenty of breeze , helps keep the mould away and AC bills down ! coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24> ..... Luv ya style Naam,clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif alt=clap2.gif width=31 height=25> bit out of my budget though Luv to know what sort of BBQ set up you got ?? thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19> PS Sometimes simple insde can have that wow Hi So look as well ... Ckodee OP !!

Agreed. Keep it simple and easy to clean. Make it look open. Make ceilings 3 mtrs high and run all cabinets to the ceiling with crown moldings. Find a craftsman who will make lots of moldings at a reasonable cost. Moldings are cheap if your guy has a router and a shaper table and knows how to use them. Lots of windows.

post-164212-0-19503400-1383363744_thumb.

post-164212-0-73682200-1383363755_thumb.

post-164212-0-56396100-1383363773_thumb.

post-164212-0-75373900-1383363797_thumb.

post-164212-0-60831100-1383363812_thumb.

post-164212-0-23161900-1383363827_thumb.

• Like 1

Neversure, nice kitchen! Can I ask how much?

Btw those ceilings that's 3m yeah? Looks nice. So does the columns in that hallway? shot. Are they the structural concrete columns or just there for the look?

Either way, they look good.

OK ... do you want the house to have a luxury look from a Western or Thai perspective.

Same but definitely different ... biggrin.png ... seriously!

COUGH ... whistling.gif

Ok, I actually don't know the difference cause I am yet to see Thai luxury. I have been inside a lovely lanna house but in the village, ceilings and 10cm of concrete slab is considered luxury. Then qhen I catch a glimpse of my wifes fave lakorn, those places are more western luxury. I would like to see Thai specific luxury.

Any links or pics you know of?

Jbrains right, krisb is far from billionaire. Still there are somethings I will spend some extrea money on to make the place look good. Morakots room pics are really nice, and I would like it if Jbrain put a pic of his ceilings up if he chooses to do so at his discretion. Lots of guys and girls have built awesome properties in Thailand so respect and well done.

Naam, I feel sorry for your maid. Not to mention the butler biggrin.png

Included are 2 pictures of my ceiling taken from each side. please understand that it took me quite some effort to get so much mess into a single picture, or was it the other way around biggrin.png

As a comparison, the sliding door you see in the picture is 245 x 400 , which I would also suggest to you as it creates a big difference with the standard 210 high doors. The aircons are mounted at 3.40 meter high.

post-163350-0-87784200-1383369815_thumb.post-163350-0-73106500-1383369826_thumb.

• Like 1

Jbrains right, krisb is far from billionaire. Still there are somethings I will spend some extrea money on to make the place look good. Morakots room pics are really nice, and I would like it if Jbrain put a pic of his ceilings up if he chooses to do so at his discretion. Lots of guys and girls have built awesome properties in Thailand so respect and well done.

Included are 2 pictures of my ceiling taken from each side. please understand that it took me quite some effort to get so much mess into a single picture, or was it the other way around biggrin.png

As a comparison, the sliding door you see in the picture is 245 x 400 , which I would also suggest to you as it creates a big difference with the standard 210 high doors. The aircons are mounted at 3.40 meter high.

attachicon.gif20131102_121132 (Medium).jpgattachicon.gif20131102_121316 (Medium).jpg

Hmmmm, think you need a posh shed for stuff............................laugh.png

attachicon.gif20131102_121132 (Medium).jpgattachicon.gif20131102_121316 (Medium).jpg

Hmmmm, think you need a posh shed for stuff............................laugh.png

Actually I have a shed and a loft, but they're both full biggrin.png

Edited by jbrain

Jbrain, thanks for the pics, very nice indeed!

Question, the raked ceiling, is that fixed onto the roof frame or a seperate suspended frame?

The top of the ceiling is attached to the lower cross beam of the roof steel work, To which also the fans are attached, which mean there is still I guess more than a meter between the top of the ceiling and the roof tiles.

The skew sides and the lower horizontal parts are attached to a separate suspended frame.

• Like 1

If you look real close you will just see my bags at the sliding door (I'll photoshop them in later) staying for my 3 day, 2 night stay in the luxury of ... of ... what village are you in again ... biggrin.png

• Like 1

Kris,

Naam, can't afford anyone to design our place, but getting some ideas is handy. My idea of luxury is not someone elses maybe. High ceilings and big windows like the Morakot pics is what I like, not extreme, but just nice without going over the top. Believe me we are quite simple folk, but given the choice something a little nicer is nice to have without spending much more. Our budget is maximum 1.5 million baht. Some pay more for their cars. I don't even have a carport. I saved some by doing the build myself. Fingers crossed, so far so good! When it's finished I plan to do a build thread then you can tell me how bad it is smile.png

i won't tell you how bad it is Kris but i will call you a genius if you manage to build 300m² with the 1.5 million Baht budget you mentioned.

• Like 2

Door Frames...

Most builder don't want to do it and they some how consider this "built-in" that they want you to get a specialized team to do it...but it makes a huge difference between the standard door frame and adding skirting board around to produce a "real" doorframe.

Thai doorframe:

a04abb5841233_1_V550.jpg

Luxury doorframe:

wooden_Door_Frame.jpg

• Like 1

Another tip is to use double bricked walls so that none of the concrete columns are visible inside the rooms.

For example look in the corner of the room, double brick would get rid of that:

8d47976106658_1_V550.jpg

Double brick walls also give you chunky windows frames, that IMHO look better, and better for heat/sound insulation.

Edited by pancakeman
  • Like 1

Another tip is to use double bricked walls so that none of the concrete columns are visible inside the rooms.

8d47976106658_1_V550.jpg

Double brick walls also give you chunky windows frames, that IMHO look better, and better for heat/sound insulation.

double brick walls wouldn't make the curtains look less shitty whistling.gif

• Like 1

Go for high ceilings. Fit wainscoting panels. Install a fake fireplace with chimney breast. Avoid external sliding doors, opt for wooden swing doors. Decorate with (darkish) pastel colours. Furnish lavishly. Live the life of Reilly.

Great stuff Morakot.

• Like 1

Kris,

i won't tell you how bad it is Kris but i will call you a genius if you manage to build 300m² with the 1.5 million Baht budget you mentioned.
No please don't tell me how bad it is. I will give an honest account of every baht spent at the end. What would you estimate a build cost at for this size?

8d47976106658_1_V550.jpg

double brick walls wouldn't make the curtains look less shitty whistling.gif

I am not a great fan of strong colored curtains. Some sunlight will always shine through and color the room, kind of like wearing colored glassed. Some light grey/white patter will do fine.

Kris ... my spin on it is that generally Thais don't go for the luxury in the traditional Western style.

For them ... it's more about face. Big = big face.

They had shitty fibro tiles in their old place ... they don't want a Colourbond roof ... they want a Monier coloured tile.

Big gates.

Big gates, first point of contact with house ... big face ... ditto the front fence.

That's why I asked ... were to trying to create an impression, some luxury and style in a Thai way or a Western way.

Would be good if IMHO dropped by ... he's usually across these issues.

• Like 1

David, I like the look of Thai outside but more western inside. The roof is colorbond already, then I added the Thai carved wooden decorative things around the sides of the roof line. Looks nice imo. Putting one of those big fences in at this point is not high on the agenda.

Basically my version of a luxury look is similar to pics that have been posted. High ceilings, big windows or like the door/windows Morakot posted. It helps to keep the place cool doing these things in turn keeping bills down. Luxury does not always mean much more expensive. So far not many think the house can be built for under 1.5mil. My original budget was 1 mill. So we will have to see how many of these 'luxuries' we can afford. Naam thinks I'm delusional so far. We shall have to wait and see, maybe I am. No 24carat taps that's for sure.

What size house are you looking to build? i.e. are you after a 'luxury' cottage or a 'luxury' mansion?

What budget are you thinking of? i.e. do you need to make ordinary materials look more up-market, or can you afford each square meter to cost 10x normal?

What size is the land you're building on? The placement of the house and other buildings on the land also plays a part.

What style of 'luxury' are you after? Victorian mansion, cutting edge modern, resort style etc

Some common principles that make a house look more upmarket are:

* Grand entrance

* High Ceilings

* Details in design

* Big pillar-less spans in rooms (no 4M box model)

The other thing that all impressive homes have in common is good landscaping and long driveways with the house set well back from the road - if your house is 2M from the main fence and your carpark *is* your driveway, it almost doesn't matter what the rest of it looks like - a big house on small land can never look opulent.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

Hi Imho, the house is no mansion. It's 300sq/m including the verandah which is about 24 sq/m. Land size is a typical village block. It was sloping downhill and was filled with about 300 trucks of dirt. Half of which filled a pond at the front. We did'nt set a budget in concrete, it's just build as we go. I hoped 1 million baht would do it, several members have said no way. Naam thinks 1.5 won't do it. I don't have a builder/site supervisor or an architect, I've done it all myself and so far so good. In saying that I've worked in construction for over 20 years and supervise medium/ large commercial projects here in Australia.

Anyway, the build to date is bricks are getting done and cost will still be under 500k. Just under. I went extra on things like 100mm cpac instead of their usual 70mm, oversized the concrete pillars and footings, upgraded the steel roof frame, and the thickness of roof sheets, width of ridge caps and flashings and a few other things.

Anyhow I appreciate any input you have, it all certainly helps.

Yes, the pillarless rooms! Our lounge room at the front of the house has 2 pillars stuck in the middle, the usual 4x4m deal. No problem thinks me, I know how to fix that. Turns out while I was away monks have come in and blessed the house and buried something at the bottom of these 2 pillars. So according to the wife, I can't touch them. I suppose I can live with them, I have no choice according to her. Cladding them is the option now.

TiT as they say on here.