tips for luxury look in house...

Hi Imho, the house is no mansion. It's 300sq/m including the verandah which is about 24 sq/m. Land size is a typical village block. It was sloping downhill and was filled with about 300 trucks of dirt. Half of which filled a pond at the front. We did'nt set a budget in concrete, it's just build as we go. I hoped 1 million baht would do it, several members have said no way. Naam thinks 1.5 won't do it. I don't have a builder/site supervisor or an architect, I've done it all myself and so far so good. In saying that I've worked in construction for over 20 years and supervise medium/ large commercial projects here in Australia.

Anyway, the build to date is bricks are getting done and cost will still be under 500k. Just under. I went extra on things like 100mm cpac instead of their usual 70mm, oversized the concrete pillars and footings, upgraded the steel roof frame, and the thickness of roof sheets, width of ridge caps and flashings and a few other things.

Anyhow I appreciate any input you have, it all certainly helps.

You will be able to get pillars and walls in for 1M / 300sqm, but no way are you going to get a finished house for that.

The initial foundations, posts, beams, floor and walls are the cheap part. It's the roof, ceilings/soffits, flooring, bathrooms, windows/doors, electrical, kitchens, built-ins, curtains, wall coverings etc that are the big expenses, and they add up quick.

I recently built a modest (but somewhat technical to build) 192sqm house for my FIL in his village. The initial structure work cost 300K, the finished house, built-ins, basic furnishings, and landscaping ended up at 2M though. I probably could have done it for 1.2-1.4M though if using cheap finishing materials, no landscaping, no built-ins, a thai-style kitchen, 3K Baht entry doors instead of 50K Baht ones, no 200sqm driveway with sandwash etc etc ;)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another tip is to use double bricked walls so that none of the concrete columns are visible inside the rooms.

For example look in the corner of the room, double brick would get rid of that:

8d47976106658_1_V550.jpg

Double brick walls also give you chunky windows frames, that IMHO look better, and better for heat/sound insulation.

double brick walls wouldn't make the curtains look less shitty whistling.gif

or the windows :P

• Like 1

So far it's concrete posts, cpac, roof, bricks, 300 trucks of dirt, lanna wood carving around the whole house, gables, mains power, sewerage system(concrete rings x 3 in 3 locations) first fix plumbing for kitchen, toilets and bathroom all done for under 500k.

I can see though expenses escallating as the build moves through the stages.

Ps, what does a 50k enterance door look like?

No actual photo handy, but similar to this but with side lites and a top lite:

double-entry-doors-for-home-pic2.jpg

You can get this look for around 15K Baht/door in normal wood, and with cheap fittings.

The one's I bought for the FIL's are custom made solid teak wood, and feel like you're opening a bank vault wink.png Including side lites, top lite, custom framing, locksets and hinges, the entry doors ended up around 150K in total.

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

Imho, wow that is nice. Some of the houses in our village are worth 150k. I have seen the replicas for the 15k you mention, still 50k for a solid teak door is fair imo. You would not want to slam your finger in that door! :)

Included are 2 pictures of my ceiling taken from each side. please understand that it took me quite some effort to get so much mess into a single picture, or was it the other way around biggrin.png

As a comparison, the sliding door you see in the picture is 245 x 400 , which I would also suggest to you as it creates a big difference with the standard 210 high doors. The aircons are mounted at 3.40 meter high.

attachicon.gif20131102_121132 (Medium).jpgattachicon.gif20131102_121316 (Medium).jpg

If you look real close you will just see my bags at the sliding door (I'll photoshop them in later) staying for my 3 day, 2 night stay in the luxury of ... of ... what village are you in again ... biggrin.png

That is a very generous offer David.

As you can see from the pictures it will currently impossible to put those bags of you inside due to the mess, which may well take 3 days and 2 nights to clean up. That is if you're not of the lazy type and don't rest too much.

Oh and I don't live in a village, I live quite isolated so forget about escaping if the work pressure would get too much for you, and there are also no neighbors to come to your rescue when I use the whiplash to motivate you a little.

When did you have in mind to pass by ?biggrin.png

• Like 1

Fine example thankyou Naam. Proof that quality need not cost a fortune. I thought you were joking when you mentioned fluted corinthian columns!

correction! it's fluted dorian columns with corinthian capitals and bases designed by Naam™ smile.png

Fine example thankyou Naam. Proof that quality need not cost a fortune. I thought you were joking when you mentioned fluted corinthian columns!

correction! it's fluted dorian columns with corinthian capitals and bases designed by Naam smile.png
I stand corrected.

correction! it's fluted dorian columns with corinthian capitals and bases designed by Naam™ smile.png

I am now walking round my place with my eyes closed...............biggrin.png

all doors leading to the outside and pool area as well as all windows are aluminium (a metal known by Americans and Canadians as "a-loo-minum") with coated heat/UV reflecting glass (mirror appearance from outside, transparent from inside).

unfortunately the subcontractor was not able to provide normal door locks and handles for that material , otherwise even all my inside doors would be the same. cost not more than an acceptable wooden door, but no warping, no peeling, no nothing.

i am slightly disappointed with your budget Kris. it doesn't look like that my planned advice for a "luxury look" will apply. what i had in mind were antique furniture, oriental rugs, bronze sculptures, a couple of Picassos and Miros (originals) as well as some old masters (copies) on the walls... crying.gif

but my main wish is that you and your family will spend many happy years in good health in your new home! wai2.gif

• Like 2

don't stumble Trans! dry.png

don't stumble Trans! dry.png

I do that every day........laugh.png

this entrance door (views from outside/inside) was less than 20k Baht:

main%20door.JPG

main%20door%20from%20inside.jpg

Why do you prefer these rather unique columns to ones of classical proportions? I grew up in an area where neo-classical architecture in public buildings was the norm and most of the columns here just strike me as rather odd. Not necessarily good or bad, just odd.

i am slightly disappointed with your budget Kris. it doesn't look like that my planned advice for a "luxury look" will apply. what i had in mind were antique furniture, oriental rugs, bronze sculptures, a couple of Picassos and Miros (originals) as well as some old masters (copies) on the walls... crying.gif

but my main wish is that you and your family will spend many happy years in good health in your new home! wai2.gif

Thankyou Naam. For now the Thailand house is just for holidays. Something more comfortable than the farm house up the road. I'm busy raising my family in Australia, there's a few walls with copy Monet's on them here already but they look cleaner than the old originals.

These 3D renditions give an idea of what can be achieved by using a professional interior designer before construction starts.

This is the living room.

Stunning! Very modern with an art deco twist perhaps. That is a budget much higher than ours, and I guess in a location suited to the style. If I planned on going this grand, I would use someone with a vision as gifted as this example. This house we are building is nothing more than a comfortable farm house you can say. I have seen some examples here that I call luxury in nice doors and windows etc. Interesting the levels that the word luxury can include.

Proof that money cannot buy taste, this house entrance with the gold coated collums is hideous.

It reminds me of the horrible mansions we regularly see in the thai series. Can't believe by the way that some posters in this thread think of them of references for luxury. Seems like it is very hard to pull off a luxury building in Thailand without making it look like a mix between an american superstars mansion and their weird attraction to collums and chinese nouveau-riche styled interiors full of gold, ugly Louis something furnitures and a maximum number of antiques scattered all over the place.

Jim Thompson's house, the old governor's mansion in Phuket town : luxury AND classy. Lakorn chinese style houses : maybe luxury but not classy at all!

• Like 1

this entrance door (views from outside/inside) was less than 20k Baht:

Why do you prefer these rather unique columns to ones of classical proportions? I grew up in an area where neo-classical architecture in public buildings was the norm and most of the columns here just strike me as rather odd. Not necessarily good or bad, just odd.

give me one valid reason why i should not prefer whatever i prefer. by the way, these columns are not unique. only the bases are because i don't like round bases. not only dorian but also corinthian columns come in fluted versions. what i do hate are tapered columns and bases much smaller than the capitals.

de gustibus non est disputandum!

Corinth.gif

http://www.cmhpf.org/kids/dictionary/classicalorders.html

Proof that money cannot buy taste, this house entrance with the gold coated collums is hideous.

It reminds me of the horrible mansions we regularly see in the thai series. Can't believe by the way that some posters in this thread think of them of references for luxury. Seems like it is very hard to pull off a luxury building in Thailand without making it look like a mix between an american superstars mansion and their weird attraction to collums and chinese nouveau-riche styled interiors full of gold, ugly Louis something furnitures and a maximum number of antiques scattered all over the place.

Jim Thompson's house, the old governor's mansion in Phuket town : luxury AND classy. Lakorn chinese style houses : maybe luxury but not classy at all!

Can we have a few pics of your place for comment thumbsup.gif . Please.

i can understand your frustration. many rainy seasons ago i too had an ugly and hideous girlfriend and hardly any money. but i did not criticise those who had money and beautiful girlfriends.

l-dog%20small.jpg

• Like 1

i can understand your frustration. many rainy seasons ago i too had an ugly and hideous girlfriend and hardly any money. but i did not criticise those who had money and beautiful girlfriends.

l-dog%20small.jpg

thumbsup.gif