Best 125/135 scooter for 2 falang. (not PCX)

Kalapana

Howdy all!

Looking to get a scooter for me and the Misses.

190 kg combined weight. Have rented a number of step throughs, and like the style, but keep popping tubes. I'm figuring that we max out the shock and the tire/tube has to take the brunt.

Looking to add YSS shocks on whatever we get. Would different rims and tubeless tires be a good move as well?

So the PCX is more baht than we want to spend, and on a small island, we don't need the freeway capability. Plus my wife will be the primary driver.

The Wave style scooters seem like they are stronger only because they look like a proper motorcycle. True? Would a YSS in a Click fit the bill?

So given all that what would be your suggestion for us? Thanks!

ehm No, 190 is too much for a scoot I would say. The 150 pcx yes but If you dont want to buy it than you will need 2bikes one for the missus and one for you. especially since you say you live on a island of which most of them are hilly you will tear most scoots up in no time.

The biggest problem is the maximum load capacity of most scooters in Thailand. For instance the maximum weight capacity for the Honda PCX150i is 180kg. Other 125 and the Yamaha 135cc scooters have even a lower recommended load capacity.

I would recommend that you look at a semi-automatic, something like a Honda Wave and change the shocks and tires with better quality. For instance you can use special innertubs which are especially made for motocross bikes (they're a bit thicker and can handle much more beating)

Ask the dealers which of their bikes with alloy wheels (lo mag) can take tubeless tyres (don't know the Thai, but yang nok ti mai dong sai yang nai would be my attempt), should help with the punctures.

My first thought was the Yamaha Spark 135cc, but Richard-BKK has said the load capacity is below 180kg.

Whatever you do, don't get a Click or anything else with a single rear shock. Double rear shocks available on the Honda PCX, Yamaha Nouvo and Suzuki Hayate in the auto range, then on all the semi autos.

If you're happy to go fully manual, best bet would be a Honda CBR150 with clutch.

no problems on a pcx 150 with 190 pounds. These bikes can get more.

But heavy duty suspensions are a must for you.

i think sh150i might be a better option though as it is designed for Europe so maybe handles more weight.

You didn't say what island and whether there are steep hills on which you have to do a standing start ? The weight could probably be dealt with as you say with upgraded shocks. It is the hills that would concern me two up. if there are no steep hills ie the roads are all along the coast then any Wave like bike will do.

if your wife doesn't want to go fast etc. I would look at the Wave 110i-AT put some after market shocks on and... but only if the roads are mainly flat. Zooming up and over a small hill is OK but if they are very, very long or you need to do a standing start then no.

The semi auto Wave has an oil bath clutch so if your wife is happy with a semi auto then a Wave 125.

I contacted a few manufacturers, and basically not one has a 110 to 150cc scooter that is designed to handle 190kg.

Even the Honda Wave 125i I recommended earlier has a recommended maximum load of 170kg, while I have seen them do twice that much without any hiccups...

So my advice stands, your best bet is to buy a Honda Wave 125 and modify it with aftermarket shocks and wider rims and appropriated innertubes and tires. (I would actually recommend good old spoked wheels, as they are much stronger than alloy-wheels also you can repair spoked wheels by replacing a broken spoke).

the only one you can use are the scooters from SYM Taiwan

Importer is

http://www.sym-thailand.co.th/contact-us/contact-us/

but use only the main Office in Pathumwaan

and teh email do not work, you have to go in Person to the shop

He doesn't want to spend money on Sym Maxi scooter. Althought the PCX150 is reasonable price and close to his 190 Kg.....he no want!

Edited by BSJ

The motorbike taxis use Waves and I see some fitted with big wheels and tires lately.

Yeah, quite a trend in Pattaya now, it looks good too.

What a change with some years ago when it was thin tires allw the way and beyond!

Seems to me like a honda, suzuki, or yamaha 110-135 stomp-a-matic should do the trick, they are of immensely strong construction.. I have a photo of 9 people on a 125 cc, 8 on the bike and a baby in a bucket hanging off the side.

The Wave is proven that it can carry anything, anywhere, indefinitely, so that is what I would go for, the standard 110cc will go, but 125cc will be better. They are all auto-clutch so no choice there.

Or buy one bike each and spread the load, you can pick up a S/H Wave for 10- 15k and they run forever.

Why not the PCX?

We live on a small island, so no long drives or high speeds.

Half the roads are not paved, and some turn into tracks that end at the beach. At 56# heavier, as well as wider, PCX mobility becomes a factor.

Price is about 1.5X new and used vs. 125s.

Also we won't be 2 up all the time. Usually cruising to dinner, or going to the beach.

That said, the local dealer has several NOS PCX 125's. Any ideas on what they might be worth?

chris2004. Seriously?

Edited by Kalapana

• 1 month later...

The Yamaha Nouvo SX 2012, 125cc fuel inject engine, has a maximum load of 160 Kg. which is 353 Lbs., according to the owners manual.

I imagine most of the 125/135cc bikes have a similar maximum load rating.

I contacted a few manufacturers, and basically not one has a 110 to 150cc scooter that is designed to handle 190kg.

Even the Honda Wave 125i I recommended earlier has a recommended maximum load of 170kg, while I have seen them do twice that much without any hiccups...

So my advice stands, your best bet is to buy a Honda Wave 125 and modify it with aftermarket shocks and wider rims and appropriated innertubes and tires. (I would actually recommend good old spoked wheels, as they are much stronger than alloy-wheels also you can repair spoked wheels by replacing a broken spoke).

I second that. I have an old Wave (2006) that carries 130kg regularly and occasionally 170kg. I replaced the shocks with heavy duty YSS shocks that work well. Might be a bit awkward if you keep the metal chain enclosure. I have a motorcycle style plastic chain shield, and just trimmed a bit off the shield to fit the shocks.

• 2 weeks later...
The Wave is proven that it can carry anything, anywhere, indefinitely, so that is what I would go for, the standard 110cc will go, but 125cc will be better. They are all auto-clutch so no choice there.

Actually, you can get an automatic Wave 110, but I think the gears would better aid in riding over hills.

Have you bought anything yet? Why not rent these models and then choose, if renting is convenient?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I would stay away from a dirt bike for 2 up riding.

Their frames are not designed for 2 passengers long term.

If you look at the KLX250 or CRF250 frames, the rear triangle only supports the driver's weight properly.

There is no triangulated frame under the passenger area so any weight hanging off the far rear is pogo-ing on 2 bars and eventually fatigues the frame.

My old DTX250 and friend's KLX250S had to be rewelded after just 10,000km carrying ~20kg of luggage offroading.

I even had to reweld the back of my Nouvo because I had a rack and topbox back there for 4+ years.

So basically, you need to get a bike with a properly designed frame for 2 people.

Wave or any scooter are the proper kind of design, but the load rating is a concern.