Foreign workers say Thailand is tops

webfact

Foreign Workers Say Thailand Is Tops
By Nopparat Chaichalearmmongkol
THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

BANGKOK: -- Seeking good friends and financial security, and don’t mind being close to palm trees and white-sand beaches? Thailand might be just the place you’re looking for.

The Southeast Asian country topped the latest HSBC Expat survey for best overall expat experience, particularly when it comes to setting up, integrating and finding friends. China, Singapore, India and Taiwan all emerged in the top 10, with Malaysia (No. 20), Indonesia (No. 31) and Vietnam (No. 32) still among the top 50.

The ranking, now in its sixth year, compiles surveys from among more than 7,000 expatriates from nearly 100 countries across the globe.

When it comes to economics, Thailand (No. 4), Indonesia (No. 6) and Singapore (No. 9) ranked among the best places to live for expats. Lower living costs and higher earnings potential, however, made Thailand the most cost-effective place for foreigners, while Vietnam and Indonesia ranked highly for presenting the best career opportunities.

Not always seen as the most friendly places to live given the lack of infrastructure and confusing regulations, those countries are also seen as becoming better places to live. [read more...]

Full story: http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2013/10/30/foreign-workers-say-thailand-is-tops/

-- THE WALL STREET JOURNAL 2013-11-01

Tops for what? Thailand is a wonderful place to visit, and maybe even retire (for some.)

But if I was a young man with a $250,000 salary (as mentioned) and a relocation package the only thing that would interest me about Thailand is same same - Thai birds. Otherwise I would far rather be sent to a developed country.

A lot of IT jobs in Thailand and if you look at the costs between San Jose (IT town USA) and Chiang Mai

Consumer Prices in San Jose, CA are 105.82% higher than in Chiang Mai Consumer Prices Including Rent in San Jose, CA are 192.73% higher than in Chiang Mai Rent Prices in San Jose, CA are 543.51% higher than in Chiang Mai Restaurant Prices in San Jose, CA are 251.64% higher than in Chiang Mai Groceries Prices in San Jose, CA are 89.85% higher than in Chiang Mai.

Add those prices to the beautiful university women in CM and it's not really difficult to understand.

Or NYC and Bangkok.

Consumer Prices in New York, NY are 78.64% higher than in Bangkok Consumer Prices Including Rent in New York, NY are 135.98% higher than in Bangkok Rent Prices in New York, NY are 258.99% higher than in Bangkok Restaurant Prices in New York, NY are 277.38% higher than in Bangkok Groceries Prices in New York, NY are 63.23% higher than in Bangkok.

As a young man I worked in NYC and Chicago; parking was $20 per hour so I never drove and taxis

and public transportation are far better in Bangkok or Chiang Mai not even mentioning they are a small fraction of the cost.

Edited by thailiketoo

Tops for what? Thailand is a wonderful place to visit, and maybe even retire (for some.)

But if I was a young man with a $250,000 salary (as mentioned) and a relocation package the only thing that would interest me about Thailand is same same - Thai birds. Otherwise I would far rather be sent to a developed country.

I believe Iceland is considered developed so is Russia.

Point is developed countries does not mean they are an attractive place to live in.

So I take it you would prefer them because they are developed.

For an undeveloped country Thailand does pretty good.wai.gif

If they are paid like many expats whereby there is no income tax and you are on a full expatriate deal, the place is heaven.

Exactly, that's probably the type of people they surveyed. Not foreigners struggling with their own small business, or people doing like hotel jobs for a local 30.000 Baht salary.

Although I am not sure as to the questions that were posed on this survey and have little appreciation for the results as they are in general meaningless.

Thailand came #4 with regard to personal economics nothing to do with business or efficiency, nothing to do with quality of life, simply money in pocket. Perhaps that is due to the fact that they have to pay good expats such a high salary in order to get them to accept a position within a society known for grid locked traffic ,pollution, lack of transparency poor work training or ethics. A country in which it can take two days to get something done that would normally take two hours

Rather than shouting about it they may well want to reflect as to what this survey really implies.

To each his own. Live and let live.

If they are paid like many expats whereby there is no income tax and you are on a full expatriate deal, the place is heaven.

Exactly, that's probably the type of people they surveyed. Not foreigners struggling with their own small business, or people doing like hotel jobs for a local 30.000 Baht salary.

Who they interviewed is unknown. All else is speculation.

A lot of IT jobs in Thailand and if you look at the costs between San Jose (IT town USA) and Chiang Mai

Consumer Prices in San Jose, CA are 105.82% higher than in Chiang Mai Consumer Prices Including Rent in San Jose, CA are 192.73% higher than in Chiang Mai Rent Prices in San Jose, CA are 543.51% higher than in Chiang Mai Restaurant Prices in San Jose, CA are 251.64% higher than in Chiang Mai Groceries Prices in San Jose, CA are 89.85% higher than in Chiang Mai.

Add those prices to the beautiful university women in CM and it's not really difficult to understand.

Or NYC and Bangkok.

Consumer Prices in New York, NY are 78.64% higher than in Bangkok Consumer Prices Including Rent in New York, NY are 135.98% higher than in Bangkok Rent Prices in New York, NY are 258.99% higher than in Bangkok Restaurant Prices in New York, NY are 277.38% higher than in Bangkok Groceries Prices in New York, NY are 63.23% higher than in Bangkok.

As a young man I worked in NYC and Chicago; parking was $20 per hour so I never drove and taxis

and public transportation are far better in Bangkok or Chiang Mai not even mentioning they are a small fraction of the cost.

Am I mistaken that only a foreign company would pay $250k + bennies in Chiang Mai? When I was working in America, I was offered London. My pay offer was based on cost of living there, plus some incentive to work overseas. I turned it down because I didn't want to work away from home for 5 years in London.

Had I been offered a 3rd world country, my pay would have been less due to cost of living. I don't know how things work today, but I would be surprised to learn that there are many IT guys in Chiang Mai making that much money.

Edited by NeverSure
  • Like 1

They preder to reside in Dubai for freedom of action.

An earlier slur mentions thai ethics,sur ethere is corruption but the loclas try to swwep all uch scum into one place called parliament.When they become to egregious the tanks roll and its back to square one.

They obviously didn't interview any Burmese, Cambodian or Laos workers.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

When I saw the headline "Foreign workers say Thailand is tops", I wondered; Did the survey include many of the Burmese or Cambodians working on the fishing boats?

• Like 1

Or NYC and Bangkok.

Public transportation in BKK or Chiang Mai is better than Chicago? BS

No place safer and clean than Tokyo with unbelievable variety. if you're on an expat package with rent and perqs then you can't beat Japan. If you need to cheap it up, the US now beats Thailand. Try comparing buying a car with Thailand and the US?

No place safer and clean than Tokyo with unbelievable variety. if you're on an expat package with rent and perqs then you can't beat Japan. If you need to cheap it up, the US now beats Thailand. Try comparing buying a car with Thailand and the US?

I was and have many friends on big packages.

For a while there post 97 you couldn't really spend money if you tried. It is a great way to live but, I was outside bangkok.

Even with all the perks pollution and traffic is what it is. That's life.