Google Nexus 5 available now for US$349

webfact

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry just to clarify i once bought a samsung s11 and it was cdma and it did not have a sim card to change countries so i am stuck with it here in asia . so i just want to make sure that it Has a REMOVABLEsim so can change which ever country i am in ! Please confirm , and in comparison a note3 are there any geeks to help me decide between these two phones??? Lol Please? And where is best place to purchasec? At the moment in Cambodia post-167617-0-24952000-1384314833_thumb.

Edited by Wimbledon

Price is a bit hard to swallow - DTAC are marking it up 60% over the US, and they only have the 16GB version.

Well think how the UK feels.. it's more expensive AND that's on the Play store.

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

Price is a bit hard to swallow - DTAC are marking it up 60% over the US, and they only have the 16GB version.

Not sure I follow your maths, I figure ~ 42%, but....LG/Thailand prices the GNEX 5 based on their localized costs, the competitive market and with respect to their other products. Hardly a novel concept?

The N4 was 17,900 here when first launched.

The prices in the U.S. Play Store ($349/16 GB and $399/32 GB) must be uplifted to account for S & H ($13.99) and any local city/state sales tax, and of course any re-shipping fees, and of course any potential VAT/duty coming into Thailand. The best I can do on an N5/16 GB is ~ $385.

T-Mo/U.S.A. is selling their unlocked/un-subsidized N5/32 GB for $449.

$349 = 11014 baht. 16900/11014 = 1.53 so 53% mark up is my math.

Regardless, fairly crap battery life is a deal breaker for me. Needs a 3K bat at least like the g2

I guess my point was that it is not possible to purchase the GNex 5 for $349, one must add shipping and handling, and any applicable sales tax - and if re-shipping to Thailand, add the re-shipping fees and any potential VAT/Duty/Excise. So your maths are not particularly valid.

Agree that if you use LTE the bigger battery may be necessary. And if you want to run year-old software (4.2), need a uSD card and need all the LG crap-ware, you should buy the G2, especially given the minimal 3,000 baht price difference.

Regardless, fairly crap battery life is a deal breaker for me. Needs a 3K bat at least like the g2

I guess my point was that it is not possible to purchase the GNex 5 for $349, one must add shipping and handling, and any applicable sales tax - and if re-shipping to Thailand, add the re-shipping fees and any potential VAT/Duty/Excise. So your maths are not particularly valid.

Agree that if you use LTE the bigger battery may be necessary. And if you want to run year-old software (4.2), need a uSD card and need all the LG crap-ware, you should buy the G2, especially given the minimal 3,000 baht price difference.

The comparison is being made between the price you can get it for in the states, and the price you can get it here. And technically you can get it for 349 in the states if you price match at best buy (free shipping) and live in a tax free state.

No SD card on the g2 but u do get the 32gb model for 19900 so has to be considered better value overall. Main thing that puts me off is the ugly LG UI (tho functional and guess u can rom it anyway) and the cheapo feeling hardware (ugly shiny plastic back)

Shame they had to cripple the N5 with a sub-par battery (for me) else I would have bought. Will continue with the gnex for now which still does the job fine tbh

The comparison is being made between the price you can get it for in the states, and the price you can get it here. And technically you can get it for 349 in the states if you price match at best buy (free shipping) and live in a tax free state.

No SD card on the g2 but u do get the 32gb model for 19900 so has to be considered better value overall. Main thing that puts me off is the ugly LG UI (tho functional and guess u can rom it anyway) and the cheapo feeling hardware (ugly shiny plastic back)

Shame they had to cripple the N5 with a sub-par battery (for me) else I would have bought. Will continue with the gnex for now which still does the job fine tbh

As far as I am aware, the GNex 5 (n-locked/un-subsidized) is not available from Best Buy, nor any other retail brick/mortar outlet, unless you want the locked/subsidized Sprint variant for $149.99 giggle.gif

But yes, if you live in a sales tax-free state then you could "technically" get one for $364.

As a developer I like to get this phone, since I live in Thailand always hesitate to buy, prices are always considerably higher than international range some times even 50 or 60 %

The main reason which this phone is gone under production is totally forgotten here, it supposed to be pure Google and be quiet cheaper from competitors. Now I do not understand how some operators dare to price it for 16900 or some retailers up to 17900 (isure shops).

Does it really worth when note2 is around 15000THB ? or other phones with higher capabilities at the same price range?

I wish LG itself is gonna consider for a reasonable pricing.

I wish they'd give it away for free, and maybe throw in a unicorn. ;)

Seriously, I am pretty sure the localized D821 variant, which is different from the U.S. Play Store/D820/$349 variant, will have an MSRP of 16.900.

The LG/Thailand localized Nexus 4 (E960) had an MSRP of 17,900 at launch, but is now available for 12,900, so one option for the N5 is to wait.

Don't forget. It's only super cheap in the US ( and possible Canada ) every where else its more expensive. Even directly from Google on the Play store. Also as Lomatopo says it is the international version with 1800 4g compatible

Sent from my aigoPadM60 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

As a developer I like to get this phone, since I live in Thailand always hesitate to buy, prices are always considerably higher than international range some times even 50 or 60 %

The main reason which this phone is gone under production is totally forgotten here, it supposed to be pure Google and be quiet cheaper from competitors.  Now I do not understand how some operators dare to price it for 16900 or some retailers up to 17900 (isure shops).

Does it really worth when note2 is around 15000THB ? or other phones with higher capabilities at the same price range?

What other phones at same price with higher capabilities???

I'm not So sure there are any.

The main reason which this phone is gone under production is totally forgotten here, it supposed to be pure Google and be quiet cheaper from competitors. Now I do not understand how some operators dare to price it for 16900 or some retailers up to 17900 (isure shops).

As I mentioned Note2 is one of the phones with higher spec. and now S4 has a drop in price which both phones will do better than Nexus either on battery or Hardware. HTC devices are also great . This my personal idea and I'm not imposing it . for me I will not consider to buy N5 at 16K+

The main reason which this phone is gone under production is totally forgotten here, it supposed to be pure Google and be quiet cheaper from competitors.  Now I do not understand how some operators dare to price it for 16900 or some retailers up to 17900 (isure shops).

As I mentioned Note2 is one of the phones with higher spec. and now S4  has a drop in price which both phones will do better than Nexus either on battery or Hardware. HTC devices are also great . This my personal idea and I'm not imposing it . for me I will not consider to buy N5 at 16K+

The note2 and s4 don't have a higher spec BUT are a similar price now.

As I mentioned Note2 is one of the phones with higher spec. and now S4 has a drop in price which both phones will do better than Nexus either on battery or Hardware. HTC devices are also great . This my personal idea and I'm not imposing it . for me I will not consider to buy N5 at 16K+

So buy a Note 2 or SGS4, and stop dreaming about a GNex 5? Seems straight-forward enough to me?

Note that Google does sell un-locked, un-subsidized, Pure Android variants of popular models, on the U.S. Play Store:

HTC One: $599

Samsung Galaxy S4: $649

So buy a Note 2 or SGS4, and stop dreaming about a GNex 5? Seems straight-forward enough to me?

Note that Google does sell un-locked, un-subsidized, Pure Android variants of popular models, on the U.S. Play Store:

HTC One: $599

Samsung Galaxy S4: $649

I already have Note2 , S4 & S2 . As I write applications for android I always like to try a new phone.

Discussion was about the price only. wish you could revise your accent while sending posts

If you want to test apps. with Android 4.3 and 4.4 then you could get a GNex 4 here for 12,900. It comes with 4.3, and Google just released 4.4/KitKat factory images for the GNex 4 a few days ago.

I just flashed 4.4 on my GNex 4, and have not encountered any issues, although a lot of problematic apps. have been updated over the past few days. Great modem/baseband, BTW. (Attached speedtest is from DTAC, before rooting and adding AdAway ;) . )

The GNex 5 does have some unique characteristics/capabilities vis-a-vis 4.4, I guess if you have budgetary constraints then you could order one from the U.S.? I think you could probably land it here for $425 all in, assuming no undue challenges with Thai customs/Excise officials.

post-9615-0-21402500-1384842063_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-00101800-1384842077_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-27642000-1384842091_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

I ordered one through DTAC's online store. It was supposed to come with "free shipping" but they are asking me to go out to Future Park Rangsit and pick it up!

16,900 for a 16 Gig - wow what a bargain! Never get tired of Thailand annoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0b.gif

I have to say, my experience with DTAC online store is pretty bad. They are insisting that I asked for the phone to be delivered to Future Park, which is absolutely ridiculous, I asked for it to be sent to my office address. No big deal ordinarily, but its a 100km round trip and I don't have time.

So I would suggest getting the phone from someone else, unless you are prepared to do some travelling (see the poster above for a good deal - and yeah my experience with TNT is you need to pay duty, not sure how you got away with that).

Well think how the UK feels.. it's more expensive AND that's on the Play store.

Gotta pay for that NHS somehow! Edited by OMGImInPattaya