mazda cx5 which one to buy ?

thaiscot

The first thing to check is if Mazda fit a DPF to Thai CX-5's? Apparently DPF's are not needed for the modified version of Euro 4 that Thailand uses, at least for now. Malaysia uses higher sulphur fuel and less strict emissions standards than Thailand so they may do a version without the DPF, like the local pickups.

Some diesel CX-5's have had oil dilution problems but Mazda is not the only manufacturer with DPF issues, E.G. UK AA: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/diesel-particulate-filters.html

Manufacturers are trying to improve but the system light diesels use for active regeneration is a poor compromise to achieve emission limits at a cost.

Cheers for the explanation and article, Yes i saw how Malays were upset their sulphur rich fuel meant they were exporting diesel cx5s to thailand not available to them domestically, Im sure the many ranger 3.2 wildtrack owners can sympathize when seeing truck loads of 3.2s going off to australian lots while they are left waiting.

I saw this article http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Community/Car-Magazines-Blogs/Chris-Chilton-Blog/Are-diesel-particulate-filters-more-trouble-than-theyre-worth/ which indicates some people are removing the DPF, I know I put a turbo back downpipe on my pjs, noisy but great power without a need to remap, something im not sure about given the mazda, I know the exhaust is a solution for the high compresion 14:1 (2.0l) and 13:1 (2.5l) so wouldnt want to solve one problem by possibly affecting engine longevity/reliability.

also apparently mazda's remedy cited in my previous reply was not effective (the firmware update and new dipstick with raised x mark) as seen towards bottom in the comments section of the article, real shame the diesel is having some issues which ive been reading on lots of different websites as of late, the stock 420 torque just smokes the 2.5l even, not to mention the higher running costs and awd.

If the diesel isnt going to be a reliable option ill test the petrols and see if the 2 litre has adequate power or whether the 2.5's premium is worth it as the bose speakers and oem 19'' rims dont soften the price for me considering i will likely be swapping them out for my own.

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2012/medium-4x4/mazda/mazda-announces-fix-for-cx-5-oil-problem-34231

Could Mazda tell you if the Thai CX-5 will have a DPF? Considering the average use of a car in say BKK, getting exhaust temp high enough to avoid active DPF regeneration is not very likely. Would be nice if Mazda eliminated the potential problems by not having a DPF, like the local diesel pickups.

Some earlier posts mentioned Mazda's efforts to improve the 2.0L mid range torque but reviews in Australia and the US have still been pretty critical of the 2.0L and more positive about the 2.5L. Australians and Americans are spoiled for choice with more powerful alternatives. Be interesting to see what you think.

Edited by Jitar

The first thing to check is if Mazda fit a DPF to Thai CX-5's? Apparently DPF's are not needed for the modified version of Euro 4 that Thailand uses, at least for now. Malaysia uses higher sulphur fuel and less strict emissions standards than Thailand so they may do a version without the DPF, like the local pickups.

Bad news Im afraid for blokes like myself trying to justify the premium for the Diesel AWD, the imported Diesels are unfortunately fitted with the DPF

Also while i know the Thai bound Mazdas dont feature the Tom Tom Gps, apparently they also do not come with DVD, just cd and mp3 and this is the case for even the 1.7m rather than an option denied to the more modestly priced 2.0l options, apparently just the bose speakers then and 1 more inch of OEM rims.

really going to have a good look at the 2.0l now and hopefully will be able to live with the power, Many of the reviews commenting on lackluster or anaemic performance is the 2.0l with a lot less torque and 10 less ponies, so im hoping the tweaked 210nm 160hp banger will be fine. I suppose the biggest case for going up to the 2.5 aside from the power is not having to hear a hard working 2.0L buzzing at higher rpms as its not refined especially with the lowered ammounts of insulation mazda have incorporated in line with their weight saving orientation for the skyactiv vehicles.

Now that we know the DPF is in fact fitted, what would a proper remedy be, as the mazda fix has by most accounts ive read done nothing to solve the issue. I suppose removing the dpf and remapping although with a high compression engine and the complexities i dont think its as simple and complication free as it was for example with the pajero sport, I just removed the stock pipe and cat and hooked up a turbo back exhaust and get better fuel economy, power and nice singing turbo

Edited by Retro Reactive

Saw a truck load of CX5 on the road up from Rayong today so they must be getting delivered to dealers now.

As I suspected...being sourced from AAT's plant in Rayong; and not Malaysian imports as some had posted previously.

Umm, Rayong is where the docks and holding yards are smile.png

Not a Lot of People Know That.cheesy.gif

Bad news Im afraid for blokes like myself trying to justify the premium for the Diesel AWD, the imported Diesels are unfortunately fitted with the DPF

Also while i know the Thai bound Mazdas dont feature the Tom Tom Gps, apparently they also do not come with DVD, just cd and mp3 and this is the case for even the 1.7m rather than an option denied to the more modestly priced 2.0l options, apparently just the bose speakers then and 1 more inch of OEM rims.

really going to have a good look at the 2.0l now and hopefully will be able to live with the power, Many of the reviews commenting on lackluster or anaemic performance is the 2.0l with a lot less torque and 10 less ponies, so im hoping the tweaked 210nm 160hp banger will be fine. I suppose the biggest case for going up to the 2.5 aside from the power is not having to hear a hard working 2.0L buzzing at higher rpms as its not refined especially with the lowered ammounts of insulation mazda have incorporated in line with their weight saving orientation for the skyactiv vehicles.

Now that we know the DPF is in fact fitted, what would a proper remedy be, as the mazda fix has by most accounts ive read done nothing to solve the issue. I suppose removing the dpf and remapping although with a high compression engine and the complexities i dont think its as simple and complication free as it was for example with the pajero sport, I just removed the stock pipe and cat and hooked up a turbo back exhaust and get better fuel economy, power and nice singing turbo

Removing a DPF would be more complex than the PJS oxidation catalyst because the ECU senses pressure drop across the DPF to control active regeneration. It would also probably have warranty implications, so not ideal on a new car.

A simple approach that might avoid DPF problems would be to occasionally run the engine hard to get the exhaust temp up high enough so passive regeneration occurs. Probably not convenient if you live in a traffic contested area like BKK.

Edited by Jitar
  • Like 1

Actually the 2.2D has a very low compression ratio for a diesel engine (14.0 :1) Why remap?, it faster than 95%+ of what's driving on Thai roads 0-100 8.2 sec, 210 km/h, 420 NM. Add an ECU box and you get 216 HP / 525 NM but doubt you really need it..

Pretty sure the DPF issue has been solved in these latest Malaysian import models:

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2012/medium-4x4/mazda/mazda-announces-fix-for-cx-5-oil-problem-34231

• Like 1

Actually the 2.2D has a very low compression ratio for a diesel engine (14.0 :1) Why remap?, it faster than 95%+ of what's driving on Thai roads 0-100 8.2 sec, 210 km/h, 420 NM. Add an ECU box and you get 216 HP / 525 NM but doubt you really need it..

Pretty sure the DPF issue has been solved in these latest Malaysian import models:

Your right, meant to say low compression, the petrols have high compression and the diesel has a low compression ratio.

I quoted that article earlier on in the thread too, was optimistic about the fix until i read the comments which trailed below. apparently wasnt a good solution. heres a few:

1. I have a mazda cx5 diesel and i have had to get it fixed twice now and havent even had it for a year. Im always doing highway driving and have already clocked up over 30 thousand kms. Mazda have been horrible to deal with in this process they are rude and do not want to help You at all. Im still waiting for my phone call ???

2. OK so I got my computer firmware upgrade and a new dipstick with a higher x mark. What an absolute joke. Now I can fit more diesel in my sump. The dipstick doesn't improve reading ability. Its nearly identical except with a higher x mark.

3. Oh and the firmware upgrade did nothing. Done roughly 2000kms in 2 months and the oil/diesel is 1/3 the way up to new x mark.

I would go for 2.0 s, or 2, 5s. Depends on how much power you wont. The prices is 1300.000, or 1460.000. I would stay away from 2, 0 (1200.000) maynly because of lack of the adoptive bixenon light. If you go for the 2, 5 you have 192 HP, and sprint to 100 in about 8 sec. The 2 liter is "normal", but still better then the most of the SUVes. I will go for the 2, 5 when I winn in lotto.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would go for 2.0 s, or 2, 5s. Depends on how much power you wont. The prices is 1300.000, or 1460.000. I would stay away from 2, 0 (1200.000) maynly because of lack of the adoptive bixenon light. If you go for the 2, 5 you have 192 HP, and sprint to 100 in about 8 sec. The 2 liter is "normal", but still better then the most of the SUVes. I will go for the 2, 5 when I winn in lotto.

Sent from my GT-P5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If your only problem with the 2.0L is it's missing xenon lights, that shouldn't be too hard to solve with some cheap aftermarket parts ;)

Any insights into whether Mazda will expand their cx5 imports product line to include a 2.5l with awd or sunroof equipped MRO? Read that Mazda was going to expand the the touch sreen to 7" as the current 5.8" is wanting in reviews.

I have noticed the reviews which are unimpressed with the 2.0l are with 155hp where the one in thailand has been tweaked for 165hp, I think it was Sjonburi who posted the graph which illustrates the useful torque available earlier on, unfortunately off for another business trip so wont be able to test drive the 2 petrols and will have to lurk on these threads for someone to write a good test drive or ownership account of the different engines and how they compared.

Edited by Retro Reactive

Any insights into whether Mazda will expand their cx5 imports product line to include a 2.5l with awd or sunroof equipped MRO? Read that Mazda was going to expand the the touch sreen to 7" as the current 5.8" is wanting in reviews.

I have noticed the reviews which are unimpressed with the 2.0l are with 155hp where the one in thailand has been tweaked for 165hp, I think it was Sjonburi who posted the graph which illustrates the useful torque available earlier on, unfortunately off for another business trip so wont be able to test drive the 2 petrols and will have to lurk on these threads for someone to write a good test drive or ownership account of the different engines and how they compared.

I can pretty much guarantee there will be minor changes and special edition models - that's always been Mazda's MO :)

When, or what they will include, no-one is talking about yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, does anyone know what is the annual road tax to be paid for the 3 models, 2.0, 2.5 and 2,2D? Thanks,

I don't have the exact numbers (it's based on age, CC's, weight, body type and seats), but you're talking about a difference of maybe 3-4K Baht between them all, so probably not a buying decision factor.

I went to the Mazda dealer and drove all options, the 2.0, the 2.5 and the diesel. Mazda told me that the 2.5 is popular, but I just cannot understand why. For normal driving in the city and occasionally upcountry, the 2.0 engine is doing just fine. It is not a race car, but everything but slow. If you need more power, then the diesel engine is so much better than the 2.5, it is almost beyond comparison. I was really impressed by the diesel engine, it is quiet, low vibration (I feel it is less than the BMW X3), and with so much power. Plus, the lowest consumption of all models. However, taking the information from the board computer, both the 2.0 and the diesel were around 10km/l, while the 2.5 consumed a bit more. These were test drive consumptions, so real world is probably less, especially when driving on the highways. I will get me the 2.0 engine, but if I drove longer distances and went upcountry more often, my choice would be the diesel. The 2.0 high line, the 2.5, and the diesel are similarly equipped (2.5 and diesel have 19" alloys and Bose sound system, plus diesel is AWD). All in all, a great car, but delivery time seems to be long, for gasoline up to 3 months, for diesel probably more than 3.

• Like 1

Nice write-up and congrats on your 1st post wink.png

P.s. to let potential customers test-drive 3 different engine versions is the way to treat customers., you hear me Honda xdry.png.pagespeed.ic.4PuA-1vbYT.webp

I went to the Mazda dealer and drove all options, the 2.0, the 2.5 and the diesel. Mazda told me that the 2.5 is popular, but I just cannot understand why. For normal driving in the city and occasionally upcountry, the 2.0 engine is doing just fine. It is not a race car, but everything but slow. If you need more power, then the diesel engine is so much better than the 2.5, it is almost beyond comparison. I was really impressed by the diesel engine, it is quiet, low vibration (I feel it is less than the BMW X3), and with so much power. Plus, the lowest consumption of all models. However, taking the information from the board computer, both the 2.0 and the diesel were around 10km/l, while the 2.5 consumed a bit more. These were test drive consumptions, so real world is probably less, especially when driving on the highways. I will get me the 2.0 engine, but if I drove longer distances and went upcountry more often, my choice would be the diesel. The 2.0 high line, the 2.5, and the diesel are similarly equipped (2.5 and diesel have 19" alloys and Bose sound system, plus diesel is AWD). All in all, a great car, but delivery time seems to be long, for gasoline up to 3 months, for diesel probably more than 3.

Edited by sjonburi

I think the concern with 2.0 is the performance with 4 adults and some luggage. I would love to have a bit more power at the expense of worse off consumption in the 2.5. I would also love to get the 2.2D, but do not think my 12000km mileage justify the savings from diesel.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

All in all, a great car, but delivery time seems to be long, for gasoline up to 3 months, for diesel probably more than 3.

According to the Pattaya Mazda dealer - I could have all engines in about 2 weeks in my garage, just the colors could be a problem

2 weeks would be great, I will let you know when I will get my CX-5, which I ordered last week. Sales staff told me it might be some time in February. They now have an order backlog of more than 2,000 cars and deliveries have not started yet, nor has information on the queue been released to the dealers.

• 1 month later...

Do they offer this car in actual colours or is it just the normal, boring white, silver, bronze, black... yawn...?

Four colors according to this

At least they have one colour available (blue). More than is often available here.

I would have a look at the Suzuki for value for money . imo its a great little box and about the same size.

Yep, the Mazda is definitely over priced and under sized.

Mazda pitch the CX-5 primarily against the Honda CR-V. The petrol versions are priced similarly, the Honda may have a small advantage in size but the Mazda has better performance. The CX-5 also has a diesel option albeit at a cost.

Ace, I guess you are referring to the Suzuki Grand Vitara? It's a bit like the other CUV competitor, the Ford Escape - good value for sure but under-powered and dated. These two are not very popular and discounted accordingly.

I don't know much about diesels. Could it be that the diesel is more sporty and fun to drive due to its higher torque than the 2.5 gasoline which in an article in Bangkok Post says doing the 0-100km/h in 7.5 seconds compared with the diesels 9.4s. The dealer here only have the diesel for testdrive.

While i found the performance to be underwelming when i tested the 2.5l this was largely due to the massive expectations i had based on reviews. The car remains exceptional value at 1.2m and 1.3m for the 2litre C and S trims which suprisingly for thailand come with options not even featured on the top trim crvs and other locally produced vehicles such as the camry with the addition of curtain airbags for example (Thank you Asean). I think the new crv looks good and like the rear ac vents but the CX5 feels more upmarket upfront with softtouch interiors unlike in the rear.

Edited by Retro Reactive

Well I looked and sat in the CX5 vey nice, but a Honda CRV it aint , no quality about it by comparison and felt very small like the Small Suzi which I have driven.The Price alone would push me towards a Trailblazer, only thing with that is they only do a Clonker Motor.Yuki Tings.biggrin.png