Outrageous Double Pricing in Thailand!

Stradavarius37

How did you come to find out it was a bad word?

You have to read my posts, then you will understand.

I read your posts and discovered that all of the Thai people you talked to don't think anything is wrong with the word Farang and that it has no connection whatsoever with double pricing or value of a person in general.

Ok, still does not seem to be able to get my point.

Farang is not viewed in general, as a bad word.

However, when a non racist western person refer to another persons skin color, it is usually in a specific situation, where it is really called for. other than that, there is usually no need for it. Once we become close friends with that "person of color", we also almost always tend to forget about that persons skin color.

Thais on the other hand, always see our skin color first, and they never ever let go of that notion. So even though you are very close to your extended Thai family, in most cases, you are still first and foremost "farang". And very foreign to the rest of the Thai-family.

Because of this, that you are always seen as a foreigner, an outsider, you are also much easier to rip off, scam, discriminate.

By making a choice to not promote the use of "farang", it WILL make us more human, and less objectified in the eyes of the Thais.

It will certainly benefit us who stays here for an extended time in Thailand.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic