Outrageous Double Pricing in Thailand!

Stradavarius37

When my wife first arrived to live in the UK we did all the touristy things; London Zoo, The Tower, Hampton Court etc..

Same when her son came to visit and again when her sister did.

Every time we went somewhere that charged for entry she was shocked that I had to pay the same price as she, her son and her sister did.

"But it's your country, your history! Why do you have to pay the same as me?"

As part of my taxes subsidise many of these places, a good question!

Most state owned museums are free in the UK; paid for out of taxes. There are many in the UK who feel that they should be free to UK residents but tourists should pay.

maybe they have done a cost/benefit analysis and decided that the fact they are free attracts enough more tourism to the UK to pay for the free admissions.

Admission fees were introduced, if memory serves, in the 1990's by the Conservatives to raise funds for the museums, and then abolished by Labour in 2001 for political reasons.

The Guardian and Observer are left wing papers, but they are in favour of charging. We need to start charging for museums and galleries again

So, while American tourists and continental mini-breakers have no problem paying €6.50 to wonder at the majesty of Lorenzetti in the Uffizi and €8 to feast on Velázquez at the Prado, in London it is all gratis. At New York's Metropolitan Museum of Art, there is a de facto $20 entrance fee for adults, so why not a fiver for London's great galleries? Would it really undermine our cultural competitiveness?

Most museums would support it as well. Acquisition budgets in London and Edinburgh have been falling over the last few years. Time and again, our national galleries are being outbid by foreign rivals as they seek to keep their collections relevant. Curatorial budgets are collapsing and recent cuts to grant-in-aid funding shows the dangers of over-reliance upon the state.

A truly equitable cultural policy might begin to think about reintroducing charges for our national museums. Naturally, one needs safeguards with schools and students retaining free entry and a free day a week reserved for residents. Some of the extra income gained could also be allocated to proper inclusion strategies and grant-in-aid funds relocated to support our provincial collections.

No they aren't!

Where did you get that idea?

Unlike tabloids, these papers don't usually publish just their editorial opinions, they print other peoples' too.

the UK debate over museum charging took place largely in the 80s the decision to stop charging at museums was made under tory government.

Museum charging has been tried and it failed - why because it contradicts the prime purpose of museums. They are there so that the public can view some of the world's greatest art - it has been repeatedly shown that charging reduces the numbers of people visiting museums and who are the people who don't get to see there stuff any more? You've guessed it; these with there least money.

Acquisition budgets funds are in no way affected by admission takings.

the main costs at museums is he maintenance of buildings and conservation of art already acquired. The amount of new exhibits in some museums is practically nil.

The natural history museum and art =]galleries have thousands of items that are held in storage and exhibition is rotated.

Edited by wilcopops

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think The Guardian and Observer are not left wing because they are broadsheets then you must also think The Telegraph isn't right wing!

Free museum entry has been tried in many countries, as indicated by the report. They have gone back to charging.

Museum entry fees: How the UK compares

When, in 2008, France's Ministry of Culture weighed up its brief experiment with free admissions, it too had to decide if the large subsidy was justified by success in attracting first-time visitors.

Ultimately the French decided the increase in numbers was mainly the same old gallery-goers returning for multiple visits.

But though the experiment was judged a failure overall, it brought about an important change. Research showed that most of those attracted by free admission had been young. As a result most French museums and galleries now offer free admission to residents up to the age of 26.

Residents, not tourists.

As the Observer article linked to says, retain free admission for schools and students and have at least one day a week free admission for residents. But charge tourists.

BTW, the experiment of charging for admission to British museums was abandoned in 2001.

Labour were in power from 1997 to 2010.

If you think The Guardian and Observer are not left wing because they are broadsheets then you must also think The Telegraph isn't right wing!

Free museum entry has been tried in many countries, as indicated by the report. They have gone back to charging.

When, in 2008, France's Ministry of Culture weighed up its brief experiment with free admissions, it too had to decide if the large subsidy was justified by success in attracting first-time visitors.

Ultimately the French decided the increase in numbers was mainly the same old gallery-goers returning for multiple visits.

But though the experiment was judged a failure overall, it brought about an important change. Research showed that most of those attracted by free admission had been young. As a result most French museums and galleries now offer free admission to residents up to the age of 26.

Residents, not tourists.

As the Observer article linked to says, retain free admission for schools and students and have at least one day a week free admission for residents. But charge tourists.

BTW, the experiment of charging for admission to British museums was abandoned in 2001.

NO it WASN"T! the decisions were made under Major - get you facts straight and also you might like to look at which museums actually did charge - they weren't all involved and some had a "voluntary" scheme - the charging was decided to be a flop by the museums not the government and it was ratified by an inquiry.

Furthermore you might want to check who wrote the Observer article, and what they were actually talking about.

Residents, not tourists.

Absolute nonsense - see above the policy was a banded at the end of the 80s.

there was also a considerable amount of research into who went into the museums in both circumstances. It was found that casual visitors were the biggest drop - those who would not normally visit if they had to pay because it was outside their budget - this was against the basic philosophy of art for the people....regardless of where they came from.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

Museum charging was abandoned in the UK in 2001; see the very first sentence of this from the Museums Association.

Major and the Tories lost the 1997 election.

Labour under Blair were in power in 2001.

Basic facts.

It seems it is you who should get their facts right.

Of course Britain should charge foreigners for entries into Museums and Art galleries. I think it is called tit-for-tat. But our soft,soft,soft politicaly correct brigade of Westminster M.P.s will prefer the British taxpayer to pay the entrance fees.Clowns.

Of course Britain should charge foreigners for entries into Museums and Art galleries. I think it is called tit-for-tat. But our soft,soft,soft politicaly correct brigade of Westminster M.P.s will prefer the British taxpayer to pay the entrance fees.Clowns.

An alternative perspective may be to consider that free entry to these sorts of places might help to attract tourists to the UK, bringing along with them bundles of cash for hotels, countless paid for attractions, restaurants, transport and shops.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Gawd OP, the clues were hardly subtle. Always a challenge for some of our North American cousins this sarcasm thing.

Satire, not sarcasm. I know the differentiation of those two words is difficult for our British cousins across the pond...

So Stradavarius37, just for clarification.

Did the events in the OP actually happen, then realising that the topic had been done a lot recently, decided that, to keep face, you say it's now just Satirical?

Or, the OP is completely false?

I look forward to your reply and clarification.

Just so you know ... I previously posted in support of your OP.

Having gone all the way there did you really turn back for 50 bhat? Really? You should know there is always a potential for that so why go and in the process deny your son a good day out. Your either kee nao or a troll.

Gawd OP, the clues were hardly subtle. Always a challenge for some of our North American cousins this sarcasm thing.

Satire, not sarcasm. I know the differentiation of those two words is difficult for our British cousins across the pond...

Did the events in the OP actually happen, then realising that the topic had been done a lot recently, decided that, to keep face, you say it's now just Satirical?

Just so you know ... I previously posted in support of your OP.

clap2.gif

Museum charging was abandoned in the UK in 2001; see the very first sentence of this from the Museums Association.

Basic facts.

You really don't geddit - the museums stopped charging before then....

An alternative perspective may be to consider that free entry to these sorts of places might help to attract tourists to the UK, bringing along with them bundles of cash for hotels, countless paid for attractions, restaurants, transport and shops.

Already been said.

I also refuse to pay any farang-charge. Heck that's why i don't even go to see waterfalls or national parks anymore.

Also i 've been to a local hospital in BKK for some treatment and just had to pay the normal thai price. And i don't have a Thai drivers-license.

My Thai friends know i will not pay extra so all of us don't go to places like that anymore.

We should do the same to the Thai whenever they go to visit places in our home-country's. Just ask double prices to them for a museum or botanical garden, then i 'm sure the problem will be over soon.

I don't drive a Benz or BMW and never will because i don't want to have a car that let's me down so often. Better drive Japanese brands they last much longer.

I also refuse to pay any farang-charge. Heck that's why i don't even go to see waterfalls or national parks anymore.

Also i 've been to a local hospital in BKK for some treatment and just had to pay the normal thai price. And i don't have a Thai drivers-license.

My Thai friends know i will not pay extra so all of us don't go to places like that anymore.

We should do the same to the Thai whenever they go to visit places in our home-country's. Just ask double prices to them for a museum or botanical garden, then i 'm sure the problem will be over soon.

I don't drive a Benz or BMW and never will because i don't want to have a car that let's me down so often. Better drive Japanese brands they last much longer.

Tell your Thai friends to come to Florida. We get em good there; 3000 baht more for a 4 day pass at Disney World than the locals or military. biggrin.png

Edited by thailiketoo

Just so you know ... I previously posted in support of your OP..

clap2.gif

So, either you are made of lesser stuff and cannot admit your mistakes or ...

or ... you're marking your card for the future as a troll.

Man up and say which one it was.

clap2.gif

This post from the OP in a thread the day before he started this one gives an indication as to his intent. tongue.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/677748-christmas-in-thailandmy-daughter/?p=6992571

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1

clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif alt=clap2.gif width=31 height=25>

This post from the OP in a thread the day before he started this one gives an indication as to his intent. xtongue.png.pagespeed.ic.6AXjMEeEEF.webp alt=tongue.png width=20 height=20>

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/677748-christmas-in-thailandmy-daughter/?p=6992571

xcool.png.pagespeed.ic.r6owfyA6jk.webp

Basic facts.

Have you read the link in my previous?

In 2001, free entry was reintroduced at national museums in England, Scotland and Wales which had previously charged for admission...........

In 1997, the new Labour government made a commitment to reinstate free entry at the national museums. Government ministers believed that doing so would broaden the range of people visiting museums. In England, the government provided funding for free admission for children in April 1999 and for over 60s in April 2001. But VAT regulations stood in the way of the introduction of universal free entry until the Chancellor included changes to VAT in the 2001 budget..........

The devolved administrations in Scotland and Wales also agreed to fund free entry at the national museums which they support, and free entry for all was introduced at all their sites in April 2001..........

So, who is right? You, or the Museums Association?

I'm right - you just can't get the info right. Check which museums you are talking about - in or out of London, check when the research was finished and then look at who was actually charging.

the policy was established under Major,.I know, I was there....and it wasn't political, it was the result of some pretty detailed analysis. Try it yourself some day.

Basic facts.

Have you read the link in my previous?

In 2001, free entry was reintroduced at national museums in England, Scotland and Wales which had previously charged for admission...........

In 1997, the new Labour government made a commitment to reinstate free entry at the national museums. Government ministers believed that doing so would broaden the range of people visiting museums. In England, the government provided funding for free admission for children in April 1999 and for over 60s in April 2001. But VAT regulations stood in the way of the introduction of universal free entry until the Chancellor included changes to VAT in the 2001 budget..........

The devolved administrations in Scotland and Wales also agreed to fund free entry at the national museums which they support, and free entry for all was introduced at all their sites in April 2001..........

So, who is right? You, or the Museums Association?

Edited by wilcopops

Thought "hong nam" was bathroom?, and you ruined your sons day out and time spent with his Dad for 50 baht?

I understand it was the principal for you, but for 50 baht I would rather have enjoyed the time with my son, sorry but thats my view.

I know I was thinking the same thing, pretty silly to ruin his son's day for 50 baht lol

It HAS been a while since the obligatory double pricing thread hasn't it? thumbsup.gif

You should have gone back to the bat cave, suited up, jumped in the tumbler, and gone back to impose your own brand of street justice. wink.png

Edited by Jayroo
  • Like 1

It HAS been a while since the obligatory double pricing thread hasn't it? thumbsup.gif

btw if this thread is your definition of sarcasm, errm either someone is way old, or has way too much time on his hands... sarcasm should be short, witty, and never initiated. (the word "troll" comes to mind) thumbsup.gif

It HAS been a while since the obligatory double pricing thread hasn't it? xthumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ic.ysn6H7pBDU.we alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

btw if this thread is your definition of sarcasm, errm either someone is way old, or has way too much time on his hands... sarcasm should be short, witty, and never initiated. (the word "troll" comes to mind) xthumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ic.ysn6H7pBDU.we alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

So we are now using the word sarcasm incorrectly to describe satire? Noted...

btw if this thread is your definition of sarcasm, errm either someone is way old, or has way too much time on his hands... sarcasm should be short, witty, and never initiated. (the word "troll" comes to mind) xthumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ic.ysn6H7pBDU.we alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

So we are now using the word sarcasm incorrectly to describe satire? Noted...

Stradavarius37 ... unashamed troll .. noted

If however, if you wish to proclaim that the OP, as you described it, actually happened ... whistling.gif

Shame really, now that your card is marked.

Thought "hong nam" was bathroom?, and you ruined your sons day out and time spent with his Dad for 50 baht?

I understand it was the principal for you, but for 50 baht I would rather have enjoyed the time with my son, sorry but thats my view.

I know I was thinking the same thing, pretty silly to ruin his son's day for 50 baht lol

There's a chance his son will learn that racism is not acceptable, so I would argue it's for the greater good.