USB Auto run Anti Virus Protection. Need advice

mattk1

Hi guys,

I work at a school with many computers and on several occasions I've been caught out by a USB flash drive virus that basically turns all my documents to a non accessible shortcut icon. I think it's called the 'Recycler' virus.

I was wondering how I can protect myself from this in the future as it really does mess things up for me, especially if I'm in a rush to quickly print a document and suddenly I can't access it!

I seem to remember seeing an auto run antivirus program that is installed on the USB flash drive itself and so it protects your data before the virus can mess you up.

I'm normally ok at finding software I need but this time I just can't seen to find anything that will do what I want.

Can anyone suggest a program that will do like I said above? I would be very grateful of any help.

Cheers!

Hmmm....interesting...

I had the same thing happen to my usb (also whilst in a hurry). Although I could print the documents via the infected computer, the next time I wanted to use the usb on my own computer - no files were to be found. Don't know if that was a Recycler virus, or what.

Fortunately, there are a host of File Recovery progs around - I just chose one. That recovered all the files I needed from the usb and placed them on my disk. A new physical format of the usb (wipes everything) and then I moved the files back in place. No problem after that.

I don't know of any protection progs like you describe, though there are perhaps some to found - somewhere.

Alternatively, install one of the many usb protection progs around onto your own usb (I use USB Disk Security) - and then just install the <deleted>' thing onto the school computers that don't have usb scan/protection progs, when and as you use them. Yeah, I know - not polite, biggrin.png

Hell, at the school I work at - nobody really knows what's put onto the computers - and they got little or no AV, anyway. Get this, some of the computers are connected to the internet - with their firewalls often turned off and with no AV...w00t.gif

Anyway, if you or someone find such a prog, then list it here - I'm sure more than just a few people would be interested!

Cheers

• Like 1

Cheers scooterboy biggrin.png

Yeah it's similar in the school I work too, little or nothing in the way of antivirus and as a result it catches you out when you need to print or move files around.

It's for that reason I only ever work on my own laptop at school but it's impossible to avoid having to use my USB disk from time to time when I have to print something out. You can guarantee I'll be in a rush for it as well when it happens facepalm.gif

I'm looking around and will post back what I can find as I bet this problem happens to most people working in schools here..

Cheers

With two kids in the Thai school system, and both required to have their own flash drives and to do work using the schools' computers, I have been fighting usb infections for years.

I have USB disk security on my windows computers http://www.zbshareware.com/solutions/ and have "vacinated" both the flash drives and the computers. This has been pretty effective, but it is mostly for protecting my home computers and not so much for protecting the flash drives. The flash drives continuously get infected and reinfected every time they are plugged into an infected computer at school, and I use my linux machine to continuously disinfect and restore any files that had been tampered with, such as the recycler that was mentioned. I have also had files that were even made into protected MS operating system files. That was fun.

So, I'd also be interested in if anyone knows of any software solution to not having an infected computer pass on the infection to the flash drive. What I can suggest to the OP is a hardware solution of getting himself a write protected flash drive for when he needs to just print something out on a school computer.

As for Chicog's solutions of simply not using an infected computer and getting the infected ones fixed, good luck with that.

• Like 1

With two kids in the Thai school system, and both required to have their own flash drives and to do work using the schools' computers, I have been fighting usb infections for years.

I have USB disk security on my windows computers http://www.zbshareware.com/solutions/ and have "vacinated" both the flash drives and the computers. This has been pretty effective, but it is mostly for protecting my home computers and not so much for protecting the flash drives. The flash drives continuously get infected and reinfected every time they are plugged into an infected computer at school, and I use my linux machine to continuously disinfect and restore any files that had been tampered with, such as the recycler that was mentioned. I have also had files that were even made into protected MS operating system files. That was fun.

So, I'd also be interested in if anyone knows of any software solution to not having an infected computer pass on the infection to the flash drive. What I can suggest to the OP is a hardware solution of getting himself a write protected flash drive for when he needs to just print something out on a school computer.

As for Chicog's solutions of simply not using an infected computer and getting the infected ones fixed, good luck with that.

No device of mine is getting in contact with an infected computer, I'm sorry if you can't apply those standards.

Half the time they're probably infected because they are unpatched and unlicensed Windows XP machines with AutoRun turned on by default.

Just that alone is simple enough to disable and will stop USB drives infecting a machine through that route. In tandem with Panda Vaccine, which will disable autorun on an inserted USB drive, it will also help prevent infected USBs wreaking havoc.

Don't you have anyone at the school responsible for maintaining the PCs?

• Like 1

At our school, yep - the librarian is "responsible" for the PCs that are not actually dedicated to various teachers.

Her training? Err..put the plugs in the wall sockets in the mornings and take the plugs out again in the evenings......smile.png

As for "Don't use an infected computer, simples" - nice thought, but your only real chance at protection is yourself.

And as Higgy88 says, the USBs risk getting constantly infected and re-infected at schools and internet cafes - and there maybe ain't much you can do about it, except maybe to scan your USB on your own computer.

Still, some interesting links are popping up - keep 'em coming.

Here's something I just came across - might be of interest

http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/Antivirus---Antispyware/Portable-TrustPort-Antivirus.shtml

Cheers

• Like 1

Well like I said just disabling autorun and installing Panda USB Vaccine goes a long way.

Any USB inserted will not have the autorun executed, and more importantly Autorun will then be cleaned, locked and hidden. Which means if they stick it in another PC which is infected, it will remain immune.

Two simple steps that offer a fair bit of protection.

Of course it won't protect against students who deliberately run an infected program from a USB, but there are ways to deal with that as well, they are a bit more complex.

• Like 1

Cheers for all the help and suggestions guys thumbsup.gif

I have successfully been using Panda today and took it upon myself to go round al the computers I could access and vaccinate them. Over time I'll get that software on all of the machines in a bid to stop these pesky viruses spreading!

Wish me luck!

Cheers again,

Matt