SYM Scooters

andy1100xx

Went to the main SYM dealer on Nam Wong Wan today and test road the Maxsym 400i and the GTS 300 (no Joymax's available to test). I was pretty sure I would prefer the Maxsym to my surprise I very quickly decided the 300 was the better bike for me. The 400 has a lot of presence but it feels very long and wide and was severely restricted in traffic. The 300 on the other hand felt just like a roomier, faster version of my Fino - really nimble in traffic and a bit of a laugh. The wife also preferred the passenger seat on the 300 and the underseat area is much bigger and better shaped than on the Maxsym. Build quality on both was very good. Had a chat with Khun Ju the manager (who was excellent by the way) who put me in touch with a dealer on Rama 4 who had a Joymax in stock and would give me a bit of discount. 2 hours later i'm a happy owner of a new scoot. Cheers for all who provide useful info on this thread.

post-11744-1384011696589_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

post-11744-13840113753493_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Where, on Rama IV is the dealer? 

Here's a map. It's mainly a Yamaha dealer but he has a couple of the smaller SYM's in there. Mine was the only big one I saw but he can obviously get them as he sells quite a few apparently. The shop number is 02-249-6501 The lad who dealt with me was called Bert, number 081 845 7959.

post-11744-13840856774951_thumb.jpg

post-11744-13840856958023_thumb.jpg

Congratulations on the new motorbike. I think you will be pleased with your purchase. What is the difference between the 300i GTS EVO and the 300 Joymax?

Spec wise the Joymax has a slightly bigger engine (278cc vs 264cc), and a bit more power (29bhp vs 24bhp), but is also heavier (192kg vs 182kg). Top speed is up from 140km/h to 150km/h. Running gear it's got a 14" vs 13" front wheel and longer suspension travel which supposedly make the ride better. Then there is obviously the new bodywork which IMHO makes the bike look sleeker and smaller from the front. The indicators are now in the mirrors and it has a set of fog lamps, a new dash and a redesigned seat which i think gives slightly more room underneath - two large full face helmets fit in fine with room to spare. To be honest though from the limited time I've had on both bikes they feel very similar to me.

Here's a link to a review of the Joymax which gives some comparisons.

http://www.moto-choice.com/en/Bike-Review/237/sym-new-gts-300i-f4-joymax-2012-current-a-midi.html

I went out for a 50k trip today and it was pretty good. Suspension felt a bit harsh so may need to play with that along with tyre pressue but handling was excellent, much better than I expected and in traffic it was as good as my little Fino, there was not a gap that a little scoot got through that I couldn't and with those big lights it was surprising how many cars moved out of the way anyway.

Cheers

Andy

Where, on Rama IV is the dealer?

Here's a map. It's mainly a Yamaha dealer but he has a couple of the smaller SYM's in there. Mine was the only big one I saw but he can obviously get them as he sells quite a few apparently. The shop number is 02-249-6501 The lad who dealt with me was called Bert, number 081 845 7959.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1384085692.606962.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1384085712.930884.jpg

OK there is quite often a Vespa LX150 parked outside.

• 8 months later...

Ive just sold my old 300 evo GTS which i had for 2 years and ordered the new joymax model.

I must say many people said dont buy SYM get a bigger known brand i.e. honda, yamaha etc. but i was very happy

with the SYM its a great bike for around Bangkok and on long distances.

Also the service area is a little shed across the road from the dealers i agree but the guys there are excellent and very helpful if you need any assistance or have any questions about the bike.

I would recomend this bike without question.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I bought a new 400i was pretty happy with it but found it very heavy and hard to ride and manoeuvre in traffic. I have now sold it and have a 300i, much happier with this bike all round.

I remember someone has said exactly this before. The 300i is more fun in city traffic if you dont need the power of the Maxsym.

Does the 300i have ABS like the Maxsym?

^

400 is good for touring and places with no traffic.

300 is better for city and congestion, of course, thinner and lighter.

there is also a sym joymax, is it this 300 cc?

Edited by ll2

^

He LL2,

Lets do the ultimate traffic test... You ride your Honda 650 against a Sym Maxsym 400i from the same location to the same destination in Bangkok..

Say Central-Plaza Pinklao to Central Future Park Rangsit shopping mall, during Bangkok rush hour... with means pretty dense traffic...

Edited by Richard-BKK

^

He LL2,

Lets do the ultimate traffic test... You ride your Honda 650 against a Sym Maxsym 400i from the same location to the same destination in Bangkok..

Say Central-Plaza Pinklao to Central Future Park Rangsit shopping mall, during Bangkok rush hour... with means pretty dense traffic...

i am in with my action camera!

date and time?

it sounds fun richardlaugh.png

i was not aware that you are such fun loving exciting person!

Edited by ll2

Went to the sym dealer the other day in bkk and the new sym joymax 300 was there and I was quoted 150.000 excl lisence etc. The 400 was 205.000. And the gts 300 evo they didnt have at the moment and he couldnt tell me when it was coming.

Incl all the paperwork he said it would be about 165.000. Strange since that means the forza 300 is cheaper, got quoted 157.000 incl everything.

I am looking around too for a 300cc so if anyone has better prices I would love to hear them