Dengue on Samui

Hello,

I've been here for a few months now and twice, I've succumbed to fever. The usual aching eyes, head, neck, muscles and joints.

I've had to stay in bed and sweat it out and drink lots of water.

Thank god, twice that it has happened, it was on the weekends.

I've never had dengue but I've been told that Samui does have it and that it comes in weak as well as strong strains.

Perhaps what I had was at very weak strain?

I just can't see getting the flu on such a tropical island. I vision and associate it with colder climates.

I as also told that even Thai's themselves get the flu from time to time.

Any clarification on this?

Thank you.

Your symptoms sound too mild to have been the real McCoy. When I had it I felt like i'd been run over by a bus for the first week & ended up glowing like David Dickinson for the second. I lost 6 kilos in the process but, to quote my wife upon my return home (talking to her mother on the phone) "I don't think i'll take him long to find them" :)

Your symptoms sound too mild to have been the real McCoy. When I had it I felt like i'd been run over by a bus for the first week & ended up glowing like David Dickinson for the second. I lost 6 kilos in the process but, to quote my wife upon my return home (talking to her mother on the phone) "I don't think i'll take him long to find them" smile.png

So, even the "Mild" form is not so mild after all? Sounds bad.

Hope you recovered.

I guess I have to put this up to a regular ordinary flu.

hi all

ive had dengue and it sure wasnt a weekend vacation

you need some blood tests to clarify for certain

after the first one you become imune to that strain[ theres 4 types strains ], so the second time is more dangerous

and apparently no one has survived all 4 types [rumour has it ]

personally i wouldnt want to be testing the truth behind that theory

You need a blood test to determine if you have or had Dengue Fever. It's the only way. There is a specific test for it. You may need to go to the Tropical Disease Center in Bangkok to have an accurate test done. Some hospitals can test for it but most actually send the sample out. The test can be done anytime but best during or after you are ill. Just check with your local hospital and ask to be tested. Not all can do it or even realize they can. My source was from the Bangkok Hospital Phuket Doctor when I came down with type III years ago.

You may not think that a tropical island has such horrible things as the flu but you have to think of all the tourists who can carry colds with them, I often notice coughing and sneezing Scandinavians and Russians at walking street and in restaurants. I tend to try to stay far away from those. wink.png

Edited by saweden

Nathon Samui Hospital, can do blood testing, much cheaper than the others.. if you don't have insurance etc.... . most tests they do will give you results within hours, although some tests do go to BKK... which will take longer obviously ...

... and English, French, Americans blah blah .... don't carry cold or flu bugs?blink.png .... come on! coffee1.gif

Flu bugs are not that uncommon here, even with the locals....

If it is Dengue fever you'd be knocked out for weeks... usually! .... Just go get it checked out! wink.png

Thanks for the replies.

I did feel like I was ran over by a train and was moaning and groaning for 3 days.

Seems to have cleared up.

Perhaps going over to Nathon Samui Hospital as samuiJimmy suggested may be in order.

My buddy in Lamai says a few of his friends in the past few months have gotten dengue here in Samui, therefore my concern.

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies.

I did feel like I was ran over by a train and was moaning and groaning for 3 days.

Seems to have cleared up.

Perhaps going over to Nathon Samui Hospital as samuiJimmy suggested may be in order.

My buddy in Lamai says a few of his friends in the past few months have gotten dengue here in Samui, therefore my concern.

Thanks!

you mean it would have been in order to go to the hospital. Bit late now after you are better.

is there a vacination for dengy ?

I herd there are different strains. some more servier than others

if you have had a fever it might not be dengy could be food poisoning. Either way you should get your blood checked for parasites and other stuff that you can catch out here.

is there a vacination for dengy ?

No vaccine for dengue yet.

There are four strains.

Infection of one gives you life long immunity against that string and short time immunity towards the others.

Getting dengue once more of different strain can result in severe complications.

• Like 1