Patong Tourist Police Seize Iguana; Theft, Assault and Battery?

EBlair48

The Site That is Unmentionable ( And Harbors a Troll Editor) reports an incident where a volunteer policeman made a move to seize an Iguana a photo tout had placed in a chair , and a scuffle ensued where a second volunteer reportedly intervened, was pushed down, got up and used pepper spray on the tout.

I think the volunteers really are there to assist tourists, and should always call police to enforce rules. Yes, the police could care less and how to counteract this is certainly debatable, and infuriating, but in this incident I have to agree- the volunteers do not have this authority, they aren't police and should not take it upon themselves to act as police, especially when no one is being harmed or assaulted.

Seems to me this was attempted theft of the iguana and assault on part of the volunteers, and they are lucky to not be charged.

Let the discussion begin !!

This is what happens when you give unqualified people without a psychological test or any training a uniform and a badge. You get The Dirty Harry syndrome.

Out of curiosity is a volunteer policeman allowed to spray people with mace?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by IrishIvan
  • Like 1

This is what happens when you give unqualified people without a psychological test or any training a uniform and a badge. You get The Dirty Harry syndrome. Out of curiosity is a volunteer policeman allowed to spray people with mace? Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Don't quote me on this, I believe one of the qualifications is a policing, military or security background to become one of the tourist police. I don't think anyone can just join.

• Like 1

No you don't need to have a police etc background to become a police volunteer but you have to pass a official background check performed by the Thai Police in cooperation with your embassy. And the actions performed by the volunteers are approved and supported by their Thai police chef.

No you don't need to have a police etc background to become a police volunteer but you have to pass a official background check performed by the Thai Police in cooperation with your embassy. And the actions performed by the volunteers are approved and supported by their Thai police chef.

Well, I was told this by one of them.

A look at their website reveals these criteria:

The following requirements must be met to qualify for membership in the Police Auxiliary Program:

1. Must hold a Non Immigrant ‘B’ or ‘O’ Visa.
  2. Must be at least 18 years of age.
  3. Must be a high school graduate or equivalent.
  4. Must pass a thorough criminal background check, the extent to be determined by the Phuket Tourist Police Department.
  5. Must have near fluency in the Thai language and/or any other language.
  6. Obliged, from time to time, to submit to urine/drug testing.
  7. Must have high moral and ethical standards.
  8. Must be willing to comply with all applicable Phuket Tourist Police Department policies and procedures.
  9. Must have a strong desire and commitment to serve the Phuket Tourist community and its citizens.
  10. Never have been convicted of a felony crime or other offences as determined by the Phuket Tourist Police Department.
  11. Possess a current and valid Thai driver’s license or obtain a license within one year of appointment.

It does mention this as part of the uniform requirements:

Foreign Volunteers will also wear a duty belt when on patrol, carrying a flashlight and radio with holster. Optional pepper spray, handcuffs or baton, if carried, are to be hidden in trouser pockets or in a pouch but not on display.

In relation to the application process, it states this:

The application process for the Phuket Tourist Police Department Auxiliary Program is as follows:

1. Completion of an initial application.
  2. Application review by Auxiliary Program Co-ordinator or designee.
  3. Completion of comprehensive background packet.
  4. Background investigation.
  5. The background investigation will be co-ordinated by the Police Auxiliary Program Co-ordinator and will include at a minimum: a criminal history clearance, personal references and employment history.
  6. Interview with the Police Auxiliary Program Co-ordinator or designee and an interview board selected by the Program Co-ordinator

If you look at No. 5, "employment history" - it is this part of the application process where I think they would want to see a relevant background in policing and/or security.

So, whilst you are correct in saying "you don't need to have a police etc bacground" - that does not mean you will be accepted.

What stands out for me is, there does not appear to be a medical, or physical fitness requirement.

There is no way on gods green earth that the Thai Police can do a background check on an Australian citizen. Exactly the same as American authorities cant do background checks on Australian citizens. So if you declare you dont have a criminal record before applying for a USA visa or a dirty harry TVP uniform it wont make a pinch of <deleted> difference. The screening process is a joke and open to abuse

There is no way on gods green earth that the Thai Police can do a background check on an Australian citizen. Exactly the same as American authorities cant do background checks on Australian citizens. So if you declare you dont have a criminal record before applying for a USA visa or a dirty harry TVP uniform it wont make a pinch of <deleted> difference. The screening process is a joke and open to abuse

They may ask you to supply a certificate from the Federal Police of your home country, or, they may run a check on the applicant through INTERPOL.

However, without your fingerprints, the results of either one of these, may not be accurate.

Edited by NamKangMan

Well, I was told this by one of them.

A look at their website reveals these criteria:

The following requirements must be met to qualify for membership in the Police Auxiliary Program:

5 Must have near fluency in the Thai language and/or any other language.

Cool, that filters out the people who don't even have near fluency in their native language.

"and/or any other language." - I suppose that "filters" out people who are mute.

This is what happens when you give unqualified people without a psychological test or any training a uniform and a badge. You get The Dirty Harry syndrome. Out of curiosity is a volunteer policeman allowed to spray people with mace? Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited slightly to read 'Is a Volunteer Policeman allowed to carry Mace " or for that matter any offensive weapon ?

Edited slightly to read 'Is a Volunteer Policeman allowed to carry Mace " or for that matter any offensive weapon ?

See post No. 14.

It appears they are allowed to carry pepper spray, which is different to mace, but has a similar effect.

In relation to "any offensive weapon" - it appears they are also allowed to carry a baton.

Well I carry a hockey stick. Just in case I encounter anyone carrying pepper spray or mace

Once you have been sprayed who will you be hitting?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

What a crazy country Thailand is!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Once again, only really happening on "Planet Phuket."

When a Thai province has to has to rely on foreign police volunteers to uphold a law that is openly breached, night after night, because the Government's own police will not, due to corruption, then yes, Phuket is a crazy province.

• Like 1

It is good the foreign police volunteers are there, but I think they should only assist tourists/intervene when tourists are in trouble. The iguana thing they should have left to be handled by Thai officers.

Don't know how I would react if in my country a obviously foreign police volunteer who doesn't speak my language (or only haltingly/heavily accented) would stop me for say riding a bicycle in a street where this isn't allowed.

It is good the foreign police volunteers are there, but I think they should only assist tourists/intervene when tourists are in trouble. The iguana thing they should have left to be handled by Thai officers.

Don't know how I would react if in my country a obviously foreign police volunteer who doesn't speak my language (or only haltingly/heavily accented) would stop me for say riding a bicycle in a street where this isn't allowed.

The same as happened here! You would not take any notice.