British Motorbike ?

Pond Life

Has anyone got any hot tips on where to find old motorbikes in Chiang Mai ?

Preferably British (BSA, Enfield, Triumph etc) but would be interested in anything unusual or even an Enfield India.

Any condition considered but must be fairly complete.

I've noticed quite a few old Lamretta's & Vespa's around the Arcade bus station area, is this a good area to start looking ?

Ta

Preferably British (BSA, Enfield, Triumph etc) but would be interested in anything unusual or even an Enfield India.

I've noticed quite a few old Lamretta's & Vespa's around the Arcade bus station area, is this a good area to start looking ?

Ta

I've seen a few around, in fact my friend in CM has a Tiger 100 that I think is late 50's era. I don't think he's interested in selling it but I will check.

I recommed you get a copy of Classic Bike - I think that's the name. It's a Thai mag and you can find it at any of the Thai book stores. There are a lot of classic bikes and cars listed in this mag and lots of classifieds. I would also try some of the bike week events around the country, there's one somewhere every 1-2 months. Lots of bikes for sale at these events including some oldies.

Ta

Try this link for Ray Shop in Chiang Mai

http://www.dreambikes.8k.com/

Ta

Opposite Chiangmai Gate hotel .just down past the Wat is a motorcycle dealer who has a Selection of BSA,s for sale :o Nignoy

Ta

Opposite Chiangmai Gate hotel .just down past the Wat is a motorcycle dealer who has a Selection of BSA,s for sale :o Nignoy

Oops sorry about the blank post.

Thanks for the replies so far, looks like this is going to be easier than I thought, but also looks like its going to cost me plenty, seems like old bikes are well sought after.

Could anyone tell me if the local shops that recondition old bikes tend to hunt down origional spares or do they make new parts or modify off the shelf parts ?

Thanks for the help.

Can't help you but the best of luck. I'm not interested in owning a classic bike but I do love to see them, rebuilt, well cared for, all shiney chrome, etc. My first ever bike was a 175cc BSA Bantam, I knew sod all about bikes then, so it almost fell apart under me, but it was still special to me.

Oops sorry about the blank post.

Thanks for the replies so far, looks like this is going to be easier than I thought, but also looks like its going to cost me plenty, seems like old bikes are well sought after.

Could anyone tell me if the local shops that recondition old bikes tend to hunt down origional spares or do they make new parts or modify off the shelf parts ?

Thanks for the help.

A great resource for old bikes for sale, as well as a parts source, is 'German' Joe, one of the owners of Goodwill Bikes, soi 2, Chiang Mai rd. Phone number 251-186

My second bike was a 1964 BSA 650. I only remember that it leaked like a sieve, and that it vibrated so much that my headlight and kickstand came off....

Edited by Ajarn

Ajarn, the nearest thing to a Brit bike i've owned so far was an Enfield India Bullet 500, it was so faithfully reproduced that it also pissed oil & shook itself apart, loved it.

I was told that if a Brit bike stops leaking oil, you've run out.

If you are really serious about a classic Brit bike look into the BSA M20 (Do a Google search)

There are a fair few around Chiengmai. These bikes cannot be legally licensed to ride in Thailand because of their age and Thai laws. Permits are available for special use.

If you really want to go esoteric there are some Japanese Harley Davidsons of war era vintage that Harley built in Japan, pre war, and the Japanese used during the war. They were used in the Burma campaign and some have leaked across the border.

Good hunting......Ken

Ajarn, the nearest thing to a Brit bike i've owned so far was an Enfield India Bullet 500, it was so faithfully reproduced that it also pissed oil & shook itself apart, loved it.

I was told that if a Brit bike stops leaking oil, you've run out.

I was also told by friends that this was typical, and the reason why there were so many garages in England. :o

• 1 month later...

If you are really serious about a classic Brit bike look into the BSA M20 (Do a Google search)

There are a fair few around Chiengmai. These bikes cannot be legally licensed to ride in Thailand because of their age and Thai laws. Permits are available for special use.

If you really want to go esoteric there are some Japanese Harley Davidsons of war era vintage that Harley built in Japan, pre war, and the Japanese used during the war. They were used in the Burma campaign and some have leaked across the border.

Good hunting......Ken

Hi, just wondering how i can have ownership of the bikes (ie proper registration papers) if they cannot be legally licensed? I am interested in buying a BSA and importing it to my country. The authorities would want to see proof of ownership. Thanks.

Good hunting......Ken

Hi, just wondering how i can have ownership of the bikes (ie proper registration papers) if they cannot be legally licensed? I am interested in buying a BSA and importing it to my country. The authorities would want to see proof of ownership. Thanks.

You will need police clearance stating that the person selling it has free and legal right to do so and also that you now have new and legal ownership of an unregisterable bike. This is not 'usual' with a motor vehicle so be prepared for problems at all stops. Be friendly, show up 30 minutes prior to lunchtime and offer to take the staff out to lunch to discuss the procedure. Do not take a bar girl as your translator. There is a learning curve required that may not be worth your effort for a single shipment.....unless you find an exceptional piece. Know your models and their values well.

Classic era bikes often have mismatched or very poor replacement parts. I found a late forties BSA in East Java with a sugar cane lorry headlight. It worked well....but indicative of other less than stock parts.

Make sure your country will accept Thai documentation on an unregistered m/c.

Lots of work......with little guarantee.

...Ken

Not counting the scooter, my first real bike was a late 1950's Triumph twin dragster, bored out from 650 to 700, racing cams, high compression, a real beast to kickstart in hot weather, standing on asphalt. I had no idea how to maintain it, and there were dealer's shops open in those days. Leaked oil, leaked gas, wouldn't start, really crappy electrics (Mr. Lucas was dubbed "The Prince of Darkness").

At university, I passed up a BSA Victor 441 with very loud pipe and bought a Triumph 250 cub instead. Read the last two sentences of prior paragraph.

In Houston, my last Mennonite pastor was a BSA freak. He sold half his bikes before coming to Houston around 1996. The Victor 441 actually ran most of the time. But, even with the internet for parts hunting, his Rocket 3 sat in the shop for YEARS being rebuilt. He'd constantly say things like, "Oh, we're looking for a rebuilt left hand framicator for the upper sozabung; a guy in South Dakota is looking in his barn."

Not counting the scooter, my first real bike was a late 1950's Triumph twin dragster, bored out from 650 to 700, racing cams, high compression, a real beast to kickstart in hot weather, standing on asphalt. I had no idea how to maintain it, and there were dealer's shops open in those days. Leaked oil, leaked gas, wouldn't start, really crappy electrics (Mr. Lucas was dubbed "The Prince of Darkness").

At university, I passed up a BSA Victor 441 with very loud pipe and bought a Triumph 250 cub instead. Read the last two sentences of prior paragraph.

In Houston, my last Mennonite pastor was a BSA freak. He sold half his bikes before coming to Houston around 1996. The Victor 441 actually ran most of the time. But, even with the internet for parts hunting, his Rocket 3 sat in the shop for YEARS being rebuilt. He'd constantly say things like, "Oh, we're looking for a rebuilt left hand framicator for the upper sozabung; a guy in South Dakota is looking in his barn."

Triumph Tiger Cub was only 200cc the only 250cc constructed by triumph was a scooter called the tigress, :o Nignoy

Triumph Tiger Cub was only 200cc the only 250cc constructed by triumph was a scooter called the tigress, :o Nignoy

In 1968 Triumph started making the TR25W Trophy 250cc

In 1970 the 250cc street Scrambler and the 250 cc Blazer

Best bike I missed out on was a 1950 Indian Chief in 1968 for $150.

...Ken

Best bike I missed out on was a 1950 Indian Chief in 1968 for $150.

...Ken

I'm about 97.48% sure my late-1960's Triumph was a 250; can't recall exactly, but it resembled a street scrambler, with a high side pipe covered by an asbestos shield that vibrated off.

Those were crazy days. I sold both Triumphs used, and got all my money back, but I had to sell each one three times.

It's hard to believe that Triumph now makes the world's largest production bike, a triple with 2,300 cc! However, if all the other mass produced bikes in the West were 8 liters, we'd consider 2,300 cc to be a mere lightweight and teacup, like my CBR150R.

It's hard to believe that Triumph now makes the world's largest production bike, a triple with 2,300 cc! However, if all the other mass produced bikes in the West were 8 liters, we'd consider 2,300 cc to be a mere lightweight and teacup, like my CBR150R.

2.3 Litre triple! I've been out of the loop for too long. I had no idea things had got so big now.

I had a 1952 BSA 250 single pot swing arm, stripped down, restored and in the process of being rebuilt when I moved out here. When I tried to arrange to have it shipped over to join me, my dearest brother admitted he had sold it as scrap ......... We do not speak quite so often now!

You are quite correct Nignoy. Triumph had 250cc blocks up to and including 1941, but never actually manufactured another 250cc bike after the war.

The B.S.A C15 Star was modeled on the Tiger Cub, but was a 250cc, and probably one of the biggest selling bikes in the UK. Which was used as a basis for many other bikes.

There were several Triumphs that were marketed as "Triumph 250's" but were in actual fact a BSA with Triumph badges. Namely the T225SS, T25T Ss was street model, T was for trail also the blazer.

Ok, were all reminising about the bikes we used to have,

so who got an old thumper at the moment ?, what have you got, where did you get it, whats it like for getting spares & how much oil does it leak.?

If its after '69 it doesnt count in my book, (tho' the new Bonnie does look good). :o

You are quite correct Nignoy. Triumph had 250cc blocks up to and including 1941, but never actually manufactured another 250cc bike after the war.

The B.S.A C15 Star was modeled on the Tiger Cub, but was a 250cc, and probably one of the biggest selling bikes in the UK. Which was used as a basis for many other bikes.

There were several Triumphs that were marketed as "Triumph 250's" but were in actual fact a BSA with Triumph badges. Namely the T225SS, T25T Ss was street model, T was for trail also the blazer.

Numerous BSA bikes were badged as triumph from 1966 onwards purely for the US market, even the the 650 bsa rocket goldstar was rebadged sacrilege, still god only invented Harleys so ######s would not ride Brit bikes :D:D Nignoy