why do men get so adicted to Thailand?

Boxclever

Why do men get addicted to Thailand?

Because Thailand can't be addicted to men.

Honestly speaking, we don't know the full story of your friend.....my dog likes to eat bones, I don't. People are different and I'd say it's up to everybody to make his/her own decision.

There might be some prison time waiting, a woman waiting for money...kids from first marriage.There are many reasons why people go to Thailand and never want to go back.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's great your friend has a friend, like you, who's concerned for his, and his family's, well-being.

The loss of spouse, and job, followed by the responsibility of being a single parent, is a major life-transition for anyone, but there's so much we don't know about the context of your friend's life right now, and his mental state, and his social supports in the immediate environment right now. It's easy to formulate quick psychological hypotheses, say he may be still in a state of grief, and grieving, may be depressed, may be not truly thinking about his children's welfare, and so forth.

But, cheap, free, insights are most often worth what you pay for them.

I know that if I were contemplating return to the U.S. right now, and did not have a retirement income, I'd be very concerned about "survival," given the high cost-of-living and widespread unemployment.

You might ask yourself (and your friend ?) to what extent their appraisal of potential employment, income, social support, health care, etc., is in Australia at present.

Also, valuable ... if disturbing to think about ... is: "what is the worst possible case for the children" ? Are the children Thai citizens; do they have a supportive network of relatives, and family friends, and friends ? If a major medical emergency should occur, do the children have health care ... or would they have health care in Australia even if the family were in a no-income situation ?

I would be very hesitant to generalize from your friend's situation a state of "addiction" to anything. Don't you think there is a certain natural "inertia" for most people when it comes to making decisions that would, effectively, uproot their whole way of life.

In any case, your compassion and concern for your friend may be more valuable than you know, or feel, right now.

~o:37;

I personally believe that for a Westerner to expect to live in Thailand long-term-- especially if he wants to have a family, then he must be retired with a decent pension or have more than enough cash in the bank.

To expect to live here long-term with the uncertainty of the job market is very risky.

True. Unless you want and are qualified to teach English. Provided that you needn't have a huge salary of course. That was my plan B and I have found I enjoy it very much. I don't need a lot until my pension comes in ten years. It is far easier for me to find work as a teacher in Thailand than as a fine art digital imaging technician back home. Us old time darkroom workers were displaced by the kids getting computer science degrees, lol.

I agree that the sensible thing to do is get back to your home country, get the the children sorted and then start again.

Been there, done that, same sort of situation.

Thai in-laws and extended family won't usually help. Nothing is lower on the Totem-pole than a skint Farung !

I read one post on here, that said best to be a retiree with an income and cash in the bank. That's kind of true.

Side stepping a job and trying to get a potential new employer to get you a work permit can be quite daunting and not easy.

Most of the successful ex-pats I know in Thailand have their own businesses and do not rely on being an employee which is becoming more and more difficult it seems.

Back to the original question, why do men get so addicted to Thailand? Depends, the ones I met who just couldn't get enough of R and R usually crashed and burned!

Some of us actually prefer the Buddhist culture to where we have come from..

Thailand has many wonderful attributes and is exciting.. Can't say that about the UK these days.

Cheers all!

The Buddhist culture? Okay, For me, it's the incredibly beautiful woman, half my age who treats me like a king. And the booze.

We don't know the back story. For me it would be harder to bring my child back to the US and try starting up there than it would be to find something else in Thailand. He might actually have more roots in Thailand.

Don't be so quick to judge. Just be supportive and understanding and let him figure things out.

YOur job as a friend isn't to make decisions or even come up with a plan for your firends, it is only to be there during the process. YOur choices worked for you but don't think that they would work for everyone.

Yes in your case that is true. But you overlook the fact that the US is paranoid and Oz is not.

As for being a friend and supportive I would agree with you if his actions were the best for the childern. If not I would not be supportive.

Then again my opinion is based on the way I feel I as a parent should look after my children.

If he was a friend of mine I might not support the idea but I would never condone it or condemn it.

Why do men get addicted to Thailand?

Women and Booze

Don't forget the temples.

And vaginal airborne Ping Pong Balls hitting you.-w00t.gif

Yeah that was one crazy temple visit!!!!!!!

Shouldn't forget the "No Hand Temple."-giggle.gif

I agree that the sensible thing to do is get back to your home country, get the the children sorted and then start again.

Thai in-laws and extended family won't usually help. Nothing is lower on the Totem-pole than a skint Farung !

I read one post on here, that said best to be a retiree with an income and cash in the bank. That's kind of true.

Side stepping a job and trying to get a potential new employer to get you a work permit can be quite daunting and not easy.

Most of the successful ex-pats I know in Thailand have their own businesses and do not rely on being an employee which is becoming more and more difficult it seems.

Back to the original question, why do men get so addicted to Thailand? Depends, the ones I met who just couldn't get enough of R and R usually crashed and burned!

Thailand has many wonderful attributes and is exciting.. Can't say that about the UK these days.

Cheers all!

Come to Asia looking for true love or friendship, better go buy yourself a dog, first. Then the rest of you Asian sojourn with be a walk-in-the-park. Read the book "Money Number One".

The Buddhist culture? Okay, For me, it's the incredibly beautiful woman, half my age who treats me like a king. And the booze.

Cheers all!

Come to Asia looking for true love or friendship, better go buy yourself a dog, first. Then the rest of you Asian sojourn with be a walk-in-the-park. Read the book "Money Number One".

Hey, Your Majesty! Read the book "Money Number One".

So what actually happens if somebody goes back to Australia with two kids and upon arrival has 5 dollars left, no home and no relatives.

Is there some sort of place for the homeless they can stay?

I find this question interesting. It's almost worth a thread of it's own, since I fear it will drown in the noise here...

My point was about the overall cost of moving back with his kids to his native country.

Spending money he doesn't have to buy 3 airplane tickets and get a place to live in his native country and take care of his children in a more expensive country with no job is the better plan?

IT would most likely cost him 5-10k dollars to get set up back in his home country if he didn't have any support there.

Also all the other rubbish about Thai inlaws not doing anything, depends on the family and his relationship with them. I know that my in laws would do everything for my duaghter in this situation and that they would take care of me also.

Most of the foreigners I have met here are a couple cans short of a six pack in one way or another. The successful, classy and content people I used to meet in my home country just don't happen over here.

I think a a root problem is just not really making it in the home country for one reason or another and an eventual decision to leave whether for short vacations or permanently.

I think the problem run the spectrum, but once people get over here they blunt them out with whoring and boozing or whatever, but the problems catch up with them.

• Like 1

We don't know the back story. For me it would be harder to bring my child back to the US and try starting up there than it would be to find something else in Thailand. He might actually have more roots in Thailand.

Don't be so quick to judge. Just be supportive and understanding and let him figure things out.

YOur job as a friend isn't to make decisions or even come up with a plan for your firends, it is only to be there during the process. YOur choices worked for you but don't think that they would work for everyone.

But remember other than being 'there' other than being 'supportive' it's not his job nor his responsibility to financially shore up someone who cannot see the wood for the trees.

The guy needs a dose of reality coffee1.gif

To answer the thread title poo ying yellow fever and the initial magic of the delusion - from then on it's how well you play your cards, luck and whether you chose well or were chosen well and whether you grow up into the reality of male/female relationships which are exacerbated somewhat by cultural differences/misunderstandings. There are lots of sirens here ready to lure you onto the rocks. Some just like the ride and the re-inventing themselves on a periodic basis away from societal norms back home and Thailand is an easy place to have a go.

If those roots here can feed and support him, well fine, if not, he needs to look out for the young ones.

The guy has a house, but whose name is it in?

He lost his wife so that ownership is in question.

Can he afford to take the kids home........ airfares don't come cheap and likely he would need his wife's family's permission.

That said, Thailand is not a place to be destitute, he is still a foreigner, who maybe would struggle to renew his extension to visa now. I believe Oz would do a better job of helping him get back on his feet.

We simply don't know enough.

Edited by jacko45k

Hard to say what his options are, but there may be other reasons for him not to go back to his country of origin, not everyone is here with the same motives nor left their home country with the same... It may also not be easy to enter his home country with 2 kids that he may not parental rights over leading to complications on getting passports etc.

We are addicted to whats in between a womens legs and easy to get and cheap in Thailand .. Any problems find another, across the street. It is an old mans fountain of youth!!

Not always cheep. Why buying a cow, if you only want to drink a glass of milk?-w00t.gif

• Like 1

You do what you have to do for the kids. I used to spend 3 months in Thai and 3 months in Aus, when the business was good and the money flowed.

My kid is 5. She fine at school here, just going to better and better schools because she is very bright.

Unfortunately my circumstances changed a lot financially. OMG.

So I haven't seen them for nearly a year.

I will come back to Thai soon and 'can' the whole life in Aus and do it in Thai, until I come up with something that gives me the money to send her to better schools later.

I know quite a few expat's kids in my area who have spent long periods in America, Switzerland and Australia. What a fabulous education. To be bi-lingual and have all that extra experience.

You do what you have to do. Kids come first. . .

• Like 2