• xphoto-thumb-188016.jpg,q_r=1382751884.p
  • Members
  • 132 posts

Posted Yesterday, 14:43

ayayay, on 05 Nov 2013 - 14:29, said:snapback.png

Why do men get addicted to Thailand?

Women and Booze

Jackson86 said:

Haha. Maybe 1st point is true for me but not 2nd point I ain't a good drinker. Another point is I'm attracted to the friendliness of Thai people which is absent in my own society.

What country are you from and people there are not friendly like Thai do?

Edited by DGIE

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I personally believe that for a Westerner to expect to live in Thailand long-term-- especially if he wants to have a family, then he must be retired with a decent pension or have more than enough cash in the bank.

To expect to live here long-term with the uncertainty of the job market is very risky.

That can be said about most western countries too. The jobs situation in the US and Europe aren't so great either. It may be best for him to take his chances here in Thailand. Considering he already has children here, he probably has more roots here than back home in New Zealand.

If he is this low on cash, 3 airline tickets back to New Zealand is totally out of the picture at this point. Is his 'friend' Boxclever willing to kick down some cash for an airline ticket home? I certainly wouldn't air my friend's problems on the Internet if they were truly my friend.

I know I've had my ups & downs here in Thailand but was much better for me to stay here and sort things out. Not sure about New Zealand but back in the US where I come from, the job situation is very scary. I get more job offers here in Bangkok than back in San Francisco or any city in the US for that matter.

I really feel bad for this guy and I'm not sure why so many farangs are so quick to beat up and criticize another farang that hit hard times. Is this unique to ThaiVisa?

Losing his wife must be awful for him and his children. They are so young too!

The last thing people should do is beat up on the guy. He needs support here in Thailand. This is his and his children's home.

All I can say is be selective about your women and the family they come from should you chose to marry. Very important if you hit hard times. I know that's totally after the fact in this guy's case. Regardless, the in-laws should offer help. Even if it's just a room in their home for him and his kids while he finds work would help a lot.

Edited by 3SoiDogNight
  • Like 1

I personally believe that for a Westerner to expect to live in Thailand long-term-- especially if he wants to have a family, then he must be retired with a decent pension or have more than enough cash in the bank.

To expect to live here long-term with the uncertainty of the job market is very risky.

Very true. I couldn't take living like that. Don't know how they do it.

Responsibilty. I was 'insitutionalised' from an early age. It was drummed into me from birth.

Today, personal responsibilty, and the taking thereof, is often deemed to be 'old fashioned' and not necessary.

• Like 1

What about the rest of the Thai family, can they provide any backup or is he out there alone? If there is any well working family network in the backround a further stay "may" be at least a little reasonable. But when he´s basically alone, what´s left to keep him here? He has no rights, what about the visa, who owns the house, everything will fall apart and any return home will be very difficult without any funds left. Is there any family back home which is ready to help him outta this mess if necessary? They even might be able to convince him to do the right thing now!

For a seven year old it might be really hard to accept such a change of life. My wife moved from China to Thailand when she was eight, she still tells me what kind of horror it was for her, but the wellbeing of the whole family might depend on that drastic move.

It sounds like a disaster is waiting to happen if nothing changes, after one year of looking for a job it might not happen the next month very likely sad.png

Edit: In the case of my wife moving from China to Thailand she stated that at that time noone was prepared or ready to give any assistance in her attempt to integrate into the Thai system. In Australia that should be not the case i guess, less hardship at least.

Yes there is a Thai family around him (his deceased wife's) and they do help with day-to-day living but they cost him a fortune!

I've met them and they are quite nice people but for the past 10 years he has supported them all financially so now they expect the money forever.

Yes it's a disaster waiting to happen, unless he gets a job in the next few weeks he will be broke.

There isn't really enough information on the reasons why your friend isn't considering the option of going back to Oz to offer any sound advice. Did you ever consider asking him?

If his savings are going to last just another month in Thailand, I would think they'd last about a week down under and thats not even including airfare so where would he get the funds to move back and try to find a job?

The fact that your concerned makes you a good friend. You can give him advice but he'll have to figure the rest out on his own.

That's just it, as soon as the option of going back to Oz was raised he completely dismissed the idea!

He won't even concider the idea. Next he'll be asking for loans.

When you have children they come first no matter what, life can be hard but as the parent its your responsibility to decide to do whats best for them, not you.

If you adopt any other attitude you dont deserve them, in my opinion.

Rubbish, I am sick to death of people who bleat on about "the children come first". That's the main problem with the west and their little spoilt brats. The children do not come first, the grown ups come first and children do as they are told.

When you have children they come first no matter what, life can be hard but as the parent its your responsibility to decide to do whats best for them, not you.

If you adopt any other attitude you dont deserve them, in my opinion.

Rubbish, I am sick to death of people who bleat on about "the children come first". That's the main problem with the west and their little spoilt brats. The children do not come first, the grown ups come first and children do as they are told.

Don't ya wish the Japanese in airports felt that way.

That's so true! to expect to live in Thaialnd without proper preparation is silly! Thailand has no welfare system, if you can't make it and you don't have the proper money in the bank for a retirement or marriage visa you are out of here! Immigration does not give one tinkers dam. they will boot you in a heart beat!

Maybe all the girls say he is very handsome, and they smile at him. He believes it?

I just got back from 7/11 and there was a beautiful women in the store. I caught myself staring at her and smiled self consciously at her. She smiled back. I big Thai Smile. I'm at least 40 years older than her. Just a smile. She didn't say anything. I walked my way and she hers and I'll never see her again but what a big smile. Made my day. In the West I'd be in jail.

You create your own job

With the internet these days there IS SO MANY WAYS to make a serious income online, but you have to learn its like anything else it takes time and money to learn a new trade and most are not prepared to take the action and commitment required.

I did it took me 12 months of learning and educating myself but now its money on tap.

I believe that everyone has some skills or knowledge they could potentially use to make money online and if they don't they can learn given enough time and commitment but most people just don't have it in them.

They aren't willing to look into it, invest time and money, learn the ropes and try things out.

Some people NEED someone else telling them what to do and when to do it or they can't function.

Why do men get addicted to Thailand?

Women and Booze

You said it all right there. 99 times out 100 , those are the reasons. And both of them will sink your ship a great deal of the time , before all is said and done. I've certainly partaken of both. Have since stopped drinking and cut back on women chasing in the Kingdom. This has been very very very difficult. I miss having several cold ones 3 or 4 times a week in the worst way and my affinity for pretty Asians will never leave me.

People keep telling me to do things in moderation. Where is this place called "moderation"? I can find places called "temptation" and "In excess" and maybe later I'll have to find the place called "redemption" but despite my searching I can never find this place called "moderation"!

I feel that Boxclever is right in principle, but then we don't know all the surrounding facts. The children's interest is paramount, and they are a lot more resilient than they are often given credit for! I also agree that it is better to be self employed in LOS, and there are so many opportunities internationally that would work in Thailand. Don't hesitate to ask me for any openings if you are versatile?

Maybe all the girls say he is very handsome, and they smile at him. He believes it?

I just got back from 7/11 and there was a beautiful women in the store. I caught myself staring at her and smiled self consciously at her. She smiled back. I big Thai Smile. I'm at least 40 years older than her. Just a smile. She didn't say anything. I walked my way and she hers and I'll never see her again but what a big smile. Made my day. In the West I'd be in jail.

Bitterest man I ever met in Thailand was a fellow Brit 60 years old who had a farang wife and children and came out to Thailand to work on a construction project as a senior engineer for 6 months. To cut a long story short he fell for a similar cutie who was 30 who worked in his local 7-11. He didn't by all accounts do much on the bar scene - anyway in due course he got her pregnant - he told his wife - his wife left him and now he's left holding the baby which as a responsible chap he felt it was his duty to do.

In the embers of his torched life he said coming here was the worst mistake of his life - and he should have just walked away and chucked his sim card in the Chao Prya river on the way out. Ouch !! Be careful it's a war zone out there for the unitiated.

• Like 1

Maybe his ex wife's waiting for him so she can collect the ?? Years of child support that he owes for his other kids. Single guys addicted to Thailand tend to be into bar life. drugs. booze. girls etc all of which require funding so I don't think that those vices are keeping him here. Being wanted for a serious crime would be another reason for his illogical behavior. I wouldn't waste your concern . You've given him a way out that he has refused. Time to move on

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

to the OP are you talking about SOTIRIOS a TV member who is trying to beg for money via this link

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/expats-in-distress-in-thailand?show_todos=true

If you are I think he needs to find an honest way of taking care of his children.

...for your information, buddy, it is honesty that got me in this predicament.....10 million baht later...(Thanks for your compassion.....)

to the OP are you talking about SOTIRIOS a TV member who is trying to beg for money via this link

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/expats-in-distress-in-thailand?show_todos=true

If you are I think he needs to find an honest way of taking care of his children.

...for your information, buddy, it is honesty that got me in this predicament.....10 million baht later...(Thanks for your compassion.....)

But now you are asking the world to come up with the money to pay for the lifestyle you want. Be a man and do the right thing for your kids. The right thing is probably returning to your home country getting any job and one day maybe you can return to the lifestyle you have had here. You deserve no compassion for sitting on your ass and begging.

Yes there is a Thai family around him (his deceased wife's) and they do help with day-to-day living but they cost him a fortune!

I've met them and they are quite nice people but for the past 10 years he has supported them all financially so now they expect the money forever.

Yes it's a disaster waiting to happen, unless he gets a job in the next few weeks he will be broke.

???

How are they helping out if they are costing him?

Read my reply #63.

We're only getting half the story here. Also, if he is broke as you say he is, then a flight back to New Zealand for THREE PEOPLE is out of the question.

So many people here are quick to assume that he's just some guy who hangs out in bars and are so quick to judge him just because he hit hard times. Hard working, decent people can hit hard times too.

So far, it sounds like he is responsible by taking care of his children the best way he can. The man lost his wife for Christ sakes. Have some sympathy for him.

What line of work is he in? There may be job options for him here in Thailand. Worst case scenario, he can get a job teaching English until he lands a better gig.

Sounds like his wife's family is no good and shouldn't expect anything from the father until he get's back on his feet.

I bet someone made the exact topic in a Philippines Forum, or Malaysia, or ...........put in name here...... Forum

Point being ?

I see.

You are one of those needed to be explained jokes?

(when its told, explained, and understood)

tongue.png

Bitterest man I ever met in Thailand was a fellow Brit 60 years old who had a farang wife and children and came out to Thailand to work on a construction project as a senior engineer for 6 months. To cut a long story short he fell for a similar cutie who was 30 who worked in his local 7-11. He didn't by all accounts do much on the bar scene - anyway in due course he got her pregnant - he told his wife - his wife left him and now he's left holding the baby which as a responsible chap he felt it was his duty to do.

In the embers of his torched life he said coming here was the worst mistake of his life - and he should have just walked away and chucked his sim card in the Chao Prya river on the way out. Ouch !! Be careful it's a war zone out there for the unitiated.

On the topic of initiation, I think abortion is illegal in Thailand in most cases and that many Buddhists will not have one because of religious beliefs.

One slip or break and there you go. This is one of the reasons I stopped bringing many partners to my permanent residence. All the documents are there attached to your address like passport etc. for legal child support action. They can also be initiated in your home country for the determined so don't think running away is an out. May even have some lawyers that will do it on a contingency fee, not sure.

This would be a much quicker and easier scam then getting married, waiting for a house to be built etc. It would also ensure regular payments, rather then a lump sum payout. I don't hear about it much, but I find it more worrisome then any type of other scam around.

Edited by donniereadit