Schools In Hua Hin Area?

mjcl

Are there any good international schools in the Hua Hin - Cha Am area? Am thinking of moving over that way and having two kids, would like to find out about the local schooling. Where do the kids of the local expats married to Thais go?

Thanks for any advice.

Erco,

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me if the schools in Hua Hin are run to the British curriculum or if they are Thai/English 'bilingual' schools. At present my son (8) goes to international school which follows the British curriculum. I would like to keep him in a school of a similar type.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

These are the most popular schools around and in Hua Hin.

Stamford University 032 520 789 032 520 790

Websters University 032 456 161

Salasian 032 532 351

Somtawin School 032 530 384

Hua Hin School 032 511 399

WECI English Language School 032 536 889

Ratchmongkhon University 032 572 284

Most Farrang send there children to the Salasian depending on age.

• 4 years later...

I am new to this forum,I am interested in moving to that area ,and looking for a school for my kids also ,judging from the interest for schools in Hua Hin/Cha-Am ,{ 3800 post viewers },seems to me that there is a demand for such a thing ,so many ¨farangs ¨there and not all of them too old for kids .µ

My children 6 8 13 are now going to school in the US and judging by what they are learning it really does not look that hard ,or maybe I am missing something .

Just as an idea if some of us with kids got it together ,why not start a small school ,there must be some talent available to have some kind of charter school or an alternative school to get those kids some education .

Long time ago children from rich families got an education from private tutors,and that seemed to work fine then.

Certainly worth to give it a thought .

Any interest let me know .

You can search for home schooling; there was a recent thread for that in the Chiang Mai forum (started by Shah Jahan, if I recall). It is possible. But it would be difficult to impossible for farang to set up a formal school as such. No matter how poorly some Thai schools teach, they are well organized to teach, have the proper Thai licenses and owners, certified teachers, oversight, etc. Having had six American school children, four of whom did not finish ninth grade, I know how well even a well-designed school district can fail children who fail. It is nothing you would want to gamble on. My first two kids have master's degrees and professional careers; the last four never will.

• 3 months later...
There are no any international school in Hua Hin. All of them are bilingual. But most of farangs told me that Somtawin is the best choice for small children (I don't really know about universities).

Erotichnaya is absolutely correct (Great name and icon, by the way!). There are no international schools in Hua Hin. That's why my teenage step-daughter stayed in Florida with another family when we moved here. Some will tell you there are good (International) schools, especially the real-estate agents trying to sell you a home, but there are not any at the moment. One group from England was here recently looking for land to open one, but I think they gave up on the idea and left because they found out that the land and construction costs in the locations they were interested in were a lot more than they had budgeted for.

Over in the Teaching in Thailand thread, we are discussing that international schools, so-called, vary tremendously in quality. You are not always getting ISB type schools just because the name contains the long i word. But Hua Hin does not even have any pretenders, as far as I know. What school in Hua Hin is western certified, and all its teachers certified teachers in their home countries? .

Over in the Teaching in Thailand thread, we are discussing that international schools, so-called, vary tremendously in quality. You are not always getting ISB type schools just because the name contains the long i word. But Hua Hin does not even have any pretenders, as far as I know. What school in Hua Hin is western certified, and all its teachers certified teachers in their home countries? .

I really am happy with the elementary school at Yaam Saard, a longstanding Bangkok-based bilingual school that opened last year in Hua Hin. A good friend just took his daughter out of Harrow School in Bangkok to attend Yaam Saard in Bangkok. That said, I am a graduate of the Los Angeles Unified School District and University of California at Santa Cruz, so my expectations aren't as high as those with the typical Bristish education.

I really am happy with the elementary school at Yaam Saard, a longstanding Bangkok-based bilingual school that opened last year in Hua Hin. A good friend just took his daughter out of Harrow School in Bangkok to attend Yaam Saard in Bangkok. That said, I am a graduate of the Los Angeles Unified School District and University of California at Santa Cruz, so my expectations aren't as high as those with the typical Bristish education.

I very much a " typical " British Education is that good at all to be honest, however compared to some of the stuff i've read about US Schools recently, it may well be..

• 3 weeks later...

I very much a " typical " British Education is that good at all to be honest, however compared to some of the stuff i've read about US Schools recently, it may well be..

A school, offering the british A-levels will certainly be better than a US based school only offering up to SAT's. AP (advanced placement - US) is closer to the A-levels. Having said that nearly all EP's bilingual programs must teach the Thai curriculum (albeit in english). I'm a maths teacher in a private school in BKK, so have experience with this curriculum. II would say until grade 9, the maths Thai syllabus is quite rigorous - a few of my grade 9 students doing a few months in an Aussie school said how easy the work was. I can;t say the same for the syllabus at 10-12 level, which is a bit of a shambles. The only way students can get though it is though rote learning as it is much too hard for the average student. Best to put your kids through IGCSE, then eith A-levles or an IB Diploma program. I don't know about Hua Hin, but schools out of BKK generally don't pay too much to their teachers, so it's hard to get qualified teachers (western teaching credentials, that is). I'm one of the few (western) teachers with a teaching credential, and this is in a well paying school in bkk. Nethertheless, you can still get decent unqualified teachers, but it depends on the school.

Edited by culicine

• 4 weeks later...
There is a fantastic new school in hua hin for K-6, Yam Saard. Couldn't be better!

I coudnt agree more just started sending my boy there and very impressed so far, it appears organised, the communication is good, and the teachers and children look like there enjoying themsleves. My sons a little young yet to judge the quality of teaching but first impression is good.so if your looking for a school it might be worth checking out.

There is a fantastic new school in hua hin for K-6, Yam Saard. Couldn't be better!

I coudnt agree more just started sending my boy there and very impressed so far, it appears organised, the communication is good, and the teachers and children look like there enjoying themsleves. My sons a little young yet to judge the quality of teaching but first impression is good.so if your looking for a school it might be worth checking out.

Monkeytunes/Sunrise, it's just down the road from me and we're gonna send our son there next year, am I right in thinking they stop at primary (Junior) school, ie: about 11 years old and do not have a secondary (senior) curriculum ?

Cheers,

Edited by ChampagneSuper

Monkeytunes/Sunrise, it's just down the road from me and we're gonna send our son there next year, am I right in thinking they stop at primary (Junior) school, ie: about 11 years old and do not have a secondary (senior) curriculum ?

Cheers,

Hi There,

Yes they only go upto 11ish, but I did hear they were looking to increase that , but I think all depends on wether theres the demand.Im hoping by the time my son reaches that ege, there will be the option, but got a few years to go yet.Regards

Have heard from 2 freinds that send their kids age between 8-11 that they pay 80,000 Baht a year. The standard apparently isnt that good either, teachers not properly qualified and no work permit either!!! Sorry dont know the name but seems to be the most popular in Hua Hin. I would seriously think about getting together with a few other parents and sourcing a good QUALIFIED teacher ...that way you have smaller class, you know the teacher from selecting them and possibly could be cheaper. most teachers earn around 35,000 a month, that therefor only equates to just undr 400,000 a year.....that would be the cost of sending ONLY 5 children to school....you could therefor source a very well qualified teacher and pay a reasonable salary also knowing your children are receiving a good education and save money also.

For a very well qualified teacher (B.Ed, or PGCE or equivalent), certified as a primary teacher in all subjects in their home country, you would need to pay 80,000 every month, provide work permit, help with visa, medical insurance, paid holidays, etc.

this is correct along with teaching materials; the cost of delivering education goes well beyound the teachers salary.

Have heard from 2 freinds that send their kids age between 8-11 that they pay 80,000 Baht a year. The standard apparently isnt that good either, teachers not properly qualified and no work permit either!!! Sorry dont know the name but seems to be the most popular in Hua Hin. I would seriously think about getting together with a few other parents and sourcing a good QUALIFIED teacher ...that way you have smaller class, you know the teacher from selecting them and possibly could be cheaper. most teachers earn around 35,000 a month, that therefor only equates to just undr 400,000 a year.....that would be the cost of sending ONLY 5 children to school....you could therefor source a very well qualified teacher and pay a reasonable salary also knowing your children are receiving a good education and save money also.

You, clearly, demonstrate, by your post, that you know very little about education in Thailand or, indeed, anywhere else for that matter.

If 'throwing money at the problem' meant that your child could/would leave school with endless qualifications then the poor would be even poorer.

You, clearly, demonstrate, by your post, that you know very little about education in Thailand or, indeed, anywhere else for that matter.

If 'throwing money at the problem' meant that your child could/would leave school with endless qualifications then the poor would be even poorer.

Personal tutors are a bad idea???....I dont think so, you know very little about education,,,,,Read the post my dear...I said you could save money....smaller classes, qualified teacher and save money....best education all round

For a very well qualified teacher (B.Ed, or PGCE or equivalent), certified as a primary teacher in all subjects in their home country, you would need to pay 80,000 every month, provide work permit, help with visa, medical insurance, paid holidays, etc.

Not True.....personal tutors that are qualified start at 35,000 baht

Guess you are a teacher???

Am assuming you have recently advertised and interviewed prospective employees??? if not where does the information originate???