Thailand ranks near bottom in English proficiency: survey

webfact

Thailand is the center of the universe.

Is the rest of the world really out there?

"Mai Pen Rai!"

ASEAN is the future for S.E. Asia.

Thailand lives for today, not the future.

" Don't think about it!"

It is O.K. that money allocated to hire more and better English teachers to improve the English speaking proficiency in Thai schools vanishes into thin air and thick wallets.

Why invest in the future when you can spend the money today?

"How are you? I am fine thank you and you?"

That's all the English you need to know!

Thailand should be the leader of ASEAN countries, not the anchor!

Mai Pen Rai!

Agreed, it is so true, the majority of Thai people live for today and not for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will attempt to craft this as carefully and respectfully as possible.

I wonder if one of the issues facing the Thai education system is the lack of a suitably focused legacy system. In the US (and I mention the US because I am familiar with it, not because it is superior to others) colleges and universities expend a great deal of resources to generate legacy giving. Corporations, families and individuals can give and are suitably honored for their endowments and other methods of giving. And while it can be argued that this has made many US colleges and universities very wealthy and powerful, it also provides billions and billions of dollars of financial aid.

Here in Thailand, it seems (to me at least) that virtually all legacy gifts are to the temple/religion. I may be sheltered but have yet to hear of giving towards schools or universities. I see dirt poor people collecting money for their temple money tree. I see very old people with virtually nothing requesting fancy funerals for themselves, and equally poor family members doing what they can to honor those requests. Meanwhile the grandchildren, because of no money, are relegated to the more substandard schools.

It often appears to me that virtually the only way to obtain a solid education in Thailand is by having a source of funds. When it comes to education in Thailand it does seem like a case of the haves vs. the have nots. In the west, while it is not universally true, I see example after example of kids who have succeeded and obtained a pretty impressive education through hard work, study and grants and scholarships (and yes - huge loans).

Along the main highway to Bangkok, south of Nakhon Ratchasima stands a magnificent temple that was built by a Thai soap opera star. It truly is a wonder to see with man-made lakes and paved walking paths. It is a mandatory stop for friends and relatives who visit this part of Thailand. And each time we go, there seems to be new construction under way.

In thinking about that temple, I wonder what that television star could have accomplished if instead, he had funneled perhaps half of the funds spent on that temple towards some advanced study courses or an endowed seat (or several) in a university.

Could it be that the Thai peoples deep, deep abiding love for their religion and its accoutrements is playing a part in the shortcomings of their current educational system?

Spot on - all over Thailand are the most amazing temples, and edifices to the folly of man (Muang Boran by Khun Lek is a case in point) which appeal to the vanity of misguided rich people but very littel to the deserving poor. Very sad and a travesty of Buddhism in every respect.

I have to agree, but then how many wonderful architectural masterpieces are cathedrals, mosques and synagogues?

Again? Enough already.

Probably Thailand was weighed down after those implementing the survey read some threads on Thai Visa. Especially those discussing things like "boarder" runs, living in a "quite" neighborhood, "your" wrong and I'm "write", and I "now" what "their" talking about.

I wonder where New Jersey, Crawford, Texas and Liverpool rank.

English.png

"They misunderestimated me." (George Bush, Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000)

I don't know, but I bet they can spell exceptions.

Even on the Thai radio/tv i hear them pronouncing english words the Thai way. The R becomes an L and otherwise. I can't even order a hamburger here at the MacDonalds that's how bad it is. Or try ordering a pizza super deluxe at Pizza company, if you don't pronounce it the (wrong) Thai way then they will look at you like you came from the moon.

The problem is that they don't have any good example to teach them proper english (pronounciations). Not on the radio/tv not the politicians nowhere. I'm very strict in that to my wife who speaks good english but sure not perfect. The good thing is that she is the best english speaker of her company and that pays off since they have to go abroad to do business.

I also know some Thai english teachers who really can't speak english at all. Or even Thai who lived/studied/worked in the USA on the highest levels who barely can answer a simple question from me. (I 'm not native english but speak 4 languages).

Thai love to watch tv so that would be an excellent way to learn english. Unfortunately they prefer to see Thai comedians on tv or soaps. And if they are rich then they want a huge car, don't care for travelling abroad on their own.

W T F!!! What are you guys TALKING about. I'm absolutely AMAZED that Thailand of all places beats ANY other country in English proficiency hey. I mean, NOT even their governmental Education Department really KNOWS what they want with regards to English education in their schools. Ask me, I know. I'm a Mother Tongue Englishman AND a Graduated Professional English Teacher topping 20 years actual English as a foreign language teaching experience with an exceptional success record offering them my services. Just take a guess WHAT their attitude to this was.

No thank you sir, unless you do a TOEIC test we WON'T issue you a Teacher's Licence to teach here in Thailand. Might I add that I in fact actually graduated in the United States of America. (BA Education. Cum Lauda). Yet I worked in a so-called International School in Ubon with a Filipino Teacher who actually PASSED their wonderful TOEIC test BUT can NOT even SPEAK English, much less COMMUNICATE in English. However he was issued a Teacher''s Licence to teach English and to top it all he was awarded Teacher-of-the-year by that specific School. Now HOW-ABOUT-THAT?

Any way, I'm a very HAPPY retired English teacher now and couldn't CARE the 'es-eich-eye-tee"' about their English Ability anymore.

Thailand beats only Kazhakistan in English proficiency. Wow! What a travesty of Thai leadership and educators for all these years and all these tourists. The best that Thais can do is beat Kazhakistan. What a squandering of resources, leadership and energy in Thailand. Unimanageable waste and lack of concern for its own people.

Unimanageable (note: unimaginable) waste and lack of concern for its own people. Are you suggesting that concern for Thais 'by Thais' has ever been a part of the prevailing persona cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

W T F!!!  What are you guys TALKING about. I'm absolutely AMAZED that Thailand of all places beats ANY other country in English proficiency hey. I mean, NOT even their governmental Education Department really KNOWS what they want with regards to English education in their schools. Ask me, I know. I'm a Mother Tongue Englishman AND a Graduated Professional English Teacher topping 20 years actual English as a foreign language teaching experience with an exceptional success record offering them my services. Just take a guess WHAT their attitude to this was.

No thank you sir, unless you do a TOEIC test we WON'T issue you a Teacher's Licence to teach here in Thailand. Might I add that I in fact actually graduated in the United States of America. (BA Education. Cum Lauda). Yet I worked in a so-called International School in Ubon with a Filipino Teacher who actually PASSED their wonderful TOEIC test BUT can NOT even SPEAK English, much less COMMUNICATE in English. However he was issued a Teacher''s Licence to teach English and to top it all he was awarded Teacher-of-the-year by that specific School. Now HOW-ABOUT-THAT?

Any way, I'm a very HAPPY retired English teacher now and couldn't CARE the 'es-eich-eye-tee"' about their English Ability anymore.

If you're from England OR the US WHY did you have to do a TOEIC????

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

And northern Thailand, where I reside, is about the worst in Thailand - for English proficiency.

Thai education bosses need to make it easier for native English speakers to teach in Thailand. Teaching skills are predicated on an individual's acuity, not on a certificate. An off the sidewalk backpacker can be a much better teacher than someone with U degrees. I've spoken with farang English teachers - some of whom have a good handle on the language - whereas others (non-native Eng-speakers) are completely out to lunch, with pronunciation and ability. Yet, it's more often the case that an inept English speaker will get a job at a Thai U, than an adept. Why? Because those who do the hiring at Thai U's don't know much about the English language, but know a lot about how handsome/charming (and well attired) someone is and/or how many paper diplomas that person has.

And then there are the grave shortcomings of Thais who endeavor to teach English. That's a sad topic that could fill a book.

Edited by boomerangutang
  • Like 1

That my friend is the question that actually SHOULD be asked to the Thai Education Department. I'm just as dumbfounded as what you are in this regard. Believe me.

W T F!!! What are you guys TALKING about. I'm absolutely AMAZED that Thailand of all places beats ANY other country in English proficiency hey. I mean, NOT even their governmental Education Department really KNOWS what they want with regards to English education in their schools. Ask me, I know. I'm a Mother Tongue Englishman AND a Graduated Professional English Teacher topping 20 years actual English as a foreign language teaching experience with an exceptional success record offering them my services. Just take a guess WHAT their attitude to this was.

Any way, I'm a very HAPPY retired English teacher now and couldn't CARE the 'es-eich-eye-tee"' about their English Ability anymore.

If you're from England OR the US WHY did you have to do a TOEIC????

Edited by ThePinkPanther

When I talked to Thai people in english, generally they know what I mean. Just that I cannot string a long sentence but rather need to break down into several shorter sentences, perhaps a little broken english. Other than that, it's fine with me if their english proficiency is not that good. Personally I also learn some Thai words so I guess both sides can accommodate each other, therefore less hostility and more friendliness.

• Like 1

Exactly my point considering my reference to the Filipino guy I worked with. The very day they informed me that I need to do a TOEIC test I in fact asked them just what purpose this would serve. They informed me that it would tell them I'm proficient in the English language. So I then replied, this test doesn't actually evaluate my teaching ability then? I continued by asking, are you actually looking to licence Englishmen or do you want to licence Teachers? Man believe me, they got VERY upset with me because of my remarks and told me that I, yea specifically ME now WILL do the TOEIC test or I WON'T teach here in Thailand.

And northern Thailand, where I reside, is about the worst in Thailand - for English proficiency.

Thai education bosses need to make it easier for native English speakers to teach in Thailand. Teaching skills are predicated on an individual's acuity, not on a certificate. An off the sidewalk backpacker can be a much better teacher than someone with U degrees. I've spoken with farang English teachers - some of whom have a good handle on the language - whereas others (non-native Eng-speakers) are completely out to lunch, with pronunciation and ability. Yet, it's more often the case that an inept English speaker will get a job at a Thai U, than an adept. Why? Because those who do the hiring at Thai U's don't know much about the English language, but know a lot about how handsome/charming (and well attired) someone is and/or how many paper diplomas that person has.

And then there are the grave shortcomings of Thais who endeavor to teach English. That's a sad topic that could fill a book.

Native English speaking farang (hopefully without a thick-as-cheese accent) should do the hiring for English teachers at Thai schools - at every grade level, on through University.

Thais can't fathom that. Look at it another way. Suppose I was personnel manager in charge of hiring for a US U. We need teachers for Thai language. I speak a bit of Thai, probably better Thai, than Thai English teachers speak English.

So let's say I'm in charge of hiring teachers to teach Thai. We get 10 Thais, 5 hill tribers, 3 Burmese, 3 Cambodians, 6 Americans, one Mexican, and 4 Malaysians - who apply for the 5 positions. Would I, as a farang, be expected to gauge which are the best candidates? Even if I looked at all the paper certificates the candidates had, I should not be expected to make wise choices.

Yet that's similar to what Thai administrators do when hiring farang to teach English. First off, Thais in general think all farang speak English. Secondly, Thais are much more impressed by appearances, handsome faces and diplomas - than substance. The result is: Thai schools are saddled with crappy teachers - so it's no surprise the standards of English proficiency is dismal in 'Land of Smiles.'

In Chiang Rai, you can go to any government building, and you'll be lucky if one out of 80 workers there speak more than a smattering of English - enough to make a few 2 or 3 word sentences. Same for banks, for police stations, for bureaucrats. Additionally, all those employed people, had to have rec'd diplomas to get where they are, and all those diplomas required English proficiency. In sum: the Thai education system is flawed to the core. Any questions?

• Like 1

And what's the point of Thais using English sporadically on things such as websites and ads of all types?

How many of us have seen the "English" button/link on a website which, when pressed, presents a page in Thai.

Never seen such a silly and prolific thing anywhere else in the world.

Do they use English just for show, because it looks cool or something? Totally useless.

• Like 1

Exactly my point considering my reference to the Filipino guy I worked with. The very day they informed me that I need to do a TOEIC test I in fact asked them just what purpose this would serve. They informed me that it would tell them I'm proficient in the English language. So I then replied, this test doesn't actually evaluate my teaching ability then? I continued by asking, are you actually looking to licence Englishmen or do you want to licence Teachers? Man believe me, they got VERY upset with me because of my remarks and told me that I, yea specifically ME now WILL do the TOEIC test or I WON'T teach here in Thailand.

The TOEIC test is only for the following T

"All nationalities EXCEPT the UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand and Australia are now required to present a TOEIC/TOFEL/IELTS score as part of the visa/WP application."

It would seem that the local office cocked things up or you are traveling on a passport that is not UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand and Australia

you forgot Ireland. giggle.gif

"All nationalities EXCEPT the UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand and Australia are now required to present a TOEIC/TOFEL/IELTS score as part of the visa/WP application."

It would seem that the local office cocked things up or you are traveling on a passport that is not UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand and Australia

What a pile of crap. I am an English teacher in a large government school. Average class is 40 students for 1 hour, yes 1 hour a week. Now, students take at least 10 minutes to get to class. Then a further 5 minutes to get them to settle. That leaves 45 minutes class time. That's 1 minute and 1 1/2 second per child to teach them English. The Thai teachers who get them for hours every week to teach them English can hardly form a proper sentence in general conversation. So, tell me again whose fault it is they can't speak English ! We try our best with the crappy strictly show, no substance nonsense the Thai's call an English programme. Don't dare to make suggestions or try to change something........... you are known as a trouble maker and you must be sacked. Don't speculate about something you clearly do not know anything about.

Native English speaking farang (hopefully without a thick-as-cheese accent) should do the hiring for English teachers at Thai schools - at every grade level, on through University.

Thais can't fathom that. Look at it another way. Suppose I was personnel manager in charge of hiring for a US U. We need teachers for Thai language. I speak a bit of Thai, probably better Thai, than Thai English teachers speak English.

So let's say I'm in charge of hiring teachers to teach Thai. We get 10 Thais, 5 hill tribers, 3 Burmese, 3 Cambodians, 6 Americans, one Mexican, and 4 Malaysians - who apply for the 5 positions. Would I, as a farang, be expected to gauge which are the best candidates? Even if I looked at all the paper certificates the candidates had, I should not be expected to make wise choices.

Yet that's similar to what Thai administrators do when hiring farang to teach English. First off, Thais in general think all farang speak English. Secondly, Thais are much more impressed by appearances, handsome faces and diplomas - than substance. The result is: Thai schools are saddled with crappy teachers - so it's no surprise the standards of English proficiency is dismal in 'Land of Smiles.'

In Chiang Rai, you can go to any government building, and you'll be lucky if one out of 80 workers there speak more than a smattering of English - enough to make a few 2 or 3 word sentences. Same for banks, for police stations, for bureaucrats. Additionally, all those employed people, had to have rec'd diplomas to get where they are, and all those diplomas required English proficiency. In sum: the Thai education system is flawed to the core. Any questions?

Speaking of comparing languages:

I had an English lang web site translated to 10 major languages, including Thai.

Using Google Translate, guess which language provided the most errors in translation? Yup. English to Thai proved troublesome, much more than English to Mandarin or to Japanese or to Korean or to Russian or to any European languages.

The way I gauged veracity: I first translated the Eng text to foreign lang, then took that text and translated back to English. I don't know who Google hired, but they didn't get a good job done with the Thais (or farang who claimed they knew Thai?).

Edited by boomerangutang

I had an English lang web site translated to 10 major languages, including Thai.

Using Google Translate, guess which language provided the most errors in translation? Yup. English to Thai proved troublesome, much more than English to Mandarin or to Japanese or to Korean or to Russian or to any European languages.

The way I gauged veracity: I first translated the Eng text to foreign lang, then took that text and translated back to English. I don't know who Google hired, but they didn't get a good job done with the Thais (or farang who claimed they knew Thai?).

Actually considering the Thai language GOOGLE did a fantastic job.. sometimes even educated Thais take a few moments/ minutes to understand written Thai depending on the context and content.

http://translate.google.com/about/

Edited by thaicbr

Theguietman, look, in essence I can, NO, in fact I absolutely DO agree with what you say here. I rowed the exact SAME boat not so long ago. And then, may I add to your valid remark, aside from this so-called 1 hour English per week you're referring to these Thai's doesn't hear nor speak ANY English what-so-ever. Now if I read Boomerangutang's comment correct, he in fact also says the exact SAME thing. In esence that'll be now. (Hint; He, just as you, he also says that the entire so-called Thai EP system is FLAWED right at it's core). So I simply just HAVE to 100% agree with BOTH of you in what you're saying. Now as for your erroneous statement Boomerangutang, You're referring to Thai teacher's qualifications, you do NOT know even HALF of it okay. I mean now, are you aware of the fact that almost 100% of Masters and Doctorate degrees are in fact that of someone else issued to a candidate. I worked with Teachers, Thais I mean now okay, who'd PAY someone, usually an older long-gone previously qualified PhD holder to write their qualifying Thesis for them. Then they present THAT document to the Educational facility whereupon they then get evaluated and awarded their appropreate degree.

What a pile of crap. I am an English teacher in a large government school. Average class is 40 students for 1 hour, yes 1 hour a week. Now, students take at least 10 minutes to get to class. Then a further 5 minutes to get them to settle. That leaves 45 minutes class time. That's 1 minute and 1 1/2 second per child to teach them English. The Thai teachers who get them for hours every week to teach them English can hardly form a proper sentence in general conversation. So, tell me again whose fault it is they can't speak English ! We try our best with the crappy strictly show, no substance nonsense the Thai's call an English programme. Don't dare to make suggestions or try to change something........... you are known as a trouble maker and you must be sacked. Don't speculate about something you clearly do not know anything about.

Fact be that I produced evidence of a GOOD TOFEL score obtained through ECC Bangkok. Grade B+. Further to your statement, the Board ALSO states that should a candidate NOT from these mentioned countries hold a B degree obtained in one of these stated countries that candidate then would QUALIFY for a teacher's licence. I graduated in Humble, in the Sate of Texas. Surely this IS in the heart of the USA, not so? Yet I was refused. (I do NOT hold a Passport from one of these mentioned countries, that's true). However, the fact that my passport was NOT issued by one of these mentioned countries doesn't change the fact that my Mother was British and ONLY spoke English. Neither does it change the fact that I graduated within one of these mentioned countries being the USA. However, ALL-IN-VAIN results. I'm not allowed to hold a Teacher's licence in Thailand.

you forgot Ireland. giggle.gif

Actually considering the Thai language GOOGLE did a fantastic job.. sometimes even educated Thais take a few moments/ minutes to understand written Thai depending on the context and content.

Ok, I see your point about Thais often having trouble understanding written Thai. I had a very brief note left on my door written in Thai. I showed it to three Thai adults, and they took several minutes to decipher it.

The impression I got from how badly the English to Thai translation within Google Translate is: The Thais (they were probably university-educated) who configured the Thai version of the site, were inept. Verb tenses changed. Pronouns changed. It was rare to get a simple English sentence translated correctly.

Slightly askew, but on the topic of transliteration, it's akin to the Thai attitude that they, Thai scholars, should be in charge of transliterating Thai to English. No way, Jose. Transliteration (from Thai to English) benefits English speakers, so it should be native English speakers who oversee it.

The above-items relate to this forum topic, because it showcases how Thais, when they deal with English language, want to do it Thai-style. THAT DOESN'T WORK, and that's one of several reasons why Thais score so low in English proficiency and pronunciation.

Edited by boomerangutang

thaicbr. I'm actually DUMBFOUNDED by your reply here okay. Then again, the problem might be laying on MY side of this communication in the sense that I in fact conveyed the situation erroneously right from the beginning. So therefore please allow me to start over would you? Firstly, THEIR rules state that in the event of ANY national from absolutely ANY country obtained a "B" degree in England, Scotland, Ireland, New Zealand, Australia, Canada or the United States of America, THIS individual would be eligible to obtain a Teacher's licence in Thailand WITHOUT doing TOEIC. Without even CONSIDERING any of THEIR other rules whatsoever in my favor for being issued a Teacher's licence here THIS single ONE rule SHOULD'VE caused me to now HAVE my licence seeing that I've earned my BA Education degree in America.

Topping THIS fact I actually produced physical prove that I taught in a public government school in America for four years as an English teacher aside of being the Department Head of the Foreign Language Department in my country of origin being English language for MORE than TWENTY consecutive years AS WELL AS being an English Teacher over that period at the same school.

So now my friend, could you PLEASE enlighten me as to WHAT rule you're referring to that I should FOLLOW?

The pink panther. You are allowed. You just have to follow the rules and pass the TOIEC.

• Like 1

^^^

Never heard about the any bachelor degree rule before and the TOIEC rule is across the board. A Dutch teacher at my school has actually been told to take it again as its only OK for 2 years if on a waiver.

I didn't say the rules here are sensible or correct. I don't believe many are. And they get changed to often.

But to answer.

Currently if your passport is not on the list you have to take the TOIEC.

My experience with employees has been similar to what thaicbr is reporting. We have a teacher from a non-native English speaking European country, who got his Bachelor's Degree from the UK. He attended school in the UK for the entire 4 years and had passed all the language exams necessary to get into school. After he graduated he went to live in the US, where he worked as a teacher and was given a teacher's license from one of the states. He has Permanent Residency status in the US.

He is now working for us as a teacher here in Thailand and he had to take the TOEIC.

My experience with employees has been similar to what thaicbr is reporting. We have a teacher from a non-native English speaking European country, who got his Bachelor's Degree from the UK. He attended school in the UK for the entire 4 years and had passed all the language exams necessary to get into school. After he graduated he went to live in the US, where he worked as a teacher and was given a teacher's license from one of the states. He has Permanent Residency status in the US.

He is now working for us as a teacher here in Thailand and he had to take the TOEIC.

Passing the TOEIC would be a walk in the park for such a teacher. I often don't agree with the silly paperwork here, but just have to do it and get on with our lives.

Yes, the test was nothing and that teacher received almost a perfect score.

The difficulty is that he had to travel from a school in another province to Bangkok to take the test. This sort of stuff gets cumbersome for employees.

I appreciate it may be a somewhat macabre observation but, in the aftermath of the recent Philippine catastrophe, I can't help but notice that pretty much each and every one of the victims interviewed and aired on the news channels are all but fluent in English.

Love it or hate it (commiserations my French cousins), English is de rigeur (see, we even now own "de riguer" - sorry again, mon amis).

Chinese will NEVER catch on, no matter how economically strong they become.

Is it truly beyond the Thais to properly learn to speak English? The only high-profile Thai I can remember speaking good English (Abhisit) happened to be born, bred and schooled in England.

I know Thai people that have lived in the UK for 30 years and still can't properly speak English.

I'd lay a bet that, if I lived in Thailand for 30 years, I'd have mastered the lingo.

Edited by Jib Teenuc