Chiang Mai, 1987: the Good Old Days

khwaibah

I totally disagree.

The bar scene was much better back in those days, we were spoilt for choice and there were many lady houses.

The girls in the Western oriented bars were not attractive at all ,in general, although - like now - there were a few nice looking young ladies, if you really looked. The farang-oriented scene started getting much better when Somchaii opened Cozy Corner Go-Go bar around 1993 and after a few years Spotlight expanded and got better too..

Indeed. And you know this is a fact because there exists not a single photograph of an attractive bargirl from the 1960's, 1970's and 1980's. People wax on about how girls looked better, but if you ask to see the pictures that might demonstrate this..... well.

If I was in a mood for drama I'd call it a conspiracy from the old-hand brigade, but in all fairness it's just the way human memory works. Memories in the mind get better with time. Memories on film stay true.

The thing about blue skies year round is the same. There are pictures of the 1970s and 1980s showing really intense haze. But people didn't seem to notice then, or don't remember now, or both. It definitely wasn't a topic of discussion then, but that doesn't mean that agricultural practises or the climate were different. rolleyes.gif

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I totally disagree.

The bar scene was much better back in those days, we were spoilt for choice and there were many lady houses.

The girls in the Western oriented bars were not attractive at all ,in general, although - like now - there were a few nice looking young ladies, if you really looked. The farang-oriented scene started getting much better when Somchaii opened Cozy Corner Go-Go bar around 1993 and after a few years Spotlight expanded and got better too..

Indeed. And you know this is a fact because there exists not a single photograph of an attractive bargirl from the 1960's, 1970's and 1980's. People wax on about how girls looked better, but if you ask to see the pictures that might demonstrate this..... well.

If I was in a mood for drama I'd call it a conspiracy from the old-hand brigade, but in all fairness it's just the way human memory works. Memories in the mind get better with time. Memories on film stay true.

The thing about blue skies year round is the same. There are pictures of the 1970s and 1980s showing really intense haze. But people didn't seem to notice then, or don't remember now, or both. It definitely wasn't a topic of discussion then, but that doesn't mean that agricultural practises or the climate were different. rolleyes.gif

Like the old saying "never went to bed with an ugly one but woke up with a few"

• Like 1

My former wife and I visited Chiang Mai for a few days in May, 1977. We came up on the train, and it really seemed to be the end of the road. She was wild to buy some silk fabric, which seemed to be a much bigger deal back then than today. It was fifteen years before she ever made the fabric into a dress.

We were backpackers. All the way across Asia overland, we gathered with others of our kind and swapped books, and it seemed there was a lot of one-upping going on about who had visited the most remote places, and even more so, who had spent the least amount of money.

Calling home was financially out of the question. For mail we relied on "post restante", and it was so good to actually find mail waiting at General Delivery in the next town. I remember using American Express Travelers "Cheques" a lot. Haven't seen any of those for years, and would imagine that most merchants here would balk at accepting one today.

I remember suffering from the heat a lot, and all of the food seemed MUCH spicier than the "Thai food" we loved in Seattle. I don't remember any air conditioned public buildings, and our cheap rooms had maybe a beat up noisy old fan.

If you had told me that one day I would live in Chiang Mai, and love it, I would have had a good laugh in your face. This city has its irritating features, but I can't think of anywhere I would rather be. These are the good old days.

Interesting post to me as I grew up in what is now called Shoreline Washington and remember some of the old time things such as the North city limits being 85th.

I mention this as it seems like all city's change today if I go back Seattle is like a different town. I am like a tourist I guess progress is a world wide happening. Not sure that it is not a good thing. $1 for a beer kind of expensive at the time for a back packer.

Certainly some interesting photos and information. But it seems to me that many of the posters relate the good old days to booze and ladies of the sex trade.

It is nice to read a thread that does not relate Chiang Mai as bring uncivalized or some thing wrong with the Thai's. Just life as it was. That being said was there no tourist attractions here back in those day's. I live here full time and have yet to be in a bar unless it is one with good food. I have seen some beautiful temples interesting tours. Of course the Malls were not here then and it might have offered a bit less of the extra amenities the westerners seem to enjoy.

• Like 1

Hm.. No one bit on the blue skies thing. I'll post the pic anyway I suppose.

Huay Kaew Road, driving towards the mountain.

But.. no mountain.

attachicon.gifMotobikes On The Street of Chiang Mai Province, Thailand in 1972 (20).jpg

But as we're on the topic of Chiang Mai yesteryear anyway, some nice pics of town are in the following link. (All 1972)

http://www.vintag.es/2013/03/motobikes-on-street-of-chiang-mai.html

Thanks for that. I have always said that you often could not see Doi Su Thep, back in the old days, when no one ever mentioned pollution. Now I have proof.

Certainly some interesting photos and information. But it seems to me that many of the posters relate the good old days to booze and ladies of the sex trade.

I resent that! I relate the current, horrible and desperate times to booze and ladies too!

That being said was there no tourist attractions here back in those day's.

Everythign was a tourist attraction in those days.. smile.png

At least to me. (As I'm sure it is today, for people who are new these days.)

As for temples and nature, there are an incredible number of old photos of those too but the trouble with them is that these things mostly look the same today, making it less interesting from a historial point of view. The link I posted above with teh motorcycles show regular street views with may have been less interesting at the time, but are very interesting now.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

I have a website with lot of pics from CNX ; www.mychiangmai.net

I will "borrow" pics from this thread. OK ?

/ hakancnx

borrow equals steal. Members have posted on this site for the benefit of members. They retain the copyright and any other use would be wrong. I suggest that if each time you want to use a picture you get permission from the photographer by using the PM button. If you do not have this permission do not use the photo. Many will give permission some will not which is their right. You should also acknowledge the ownership of the photo on your site.

I have a website with lot of pics from CNX ; www.mychiangmai.net

I will "borrow" pics from this thread. OK ?

Lovely site!!

And further proves that the bars really weren't all that special no matter which era you pick. (Other than what you made of it, pretty much like now.)

(Lots of old timer's memories get better with age. wink.png )