Moving back to America

chiangmaisurprise

There is more to electrical compatibility than voltage. The Thai power is 220 Volts 50 HERTZ (cycles per second). US power is 120 Volts 60 HERTZ. The difference in frequency has great effect on things that involve TIMING. For instance, motors will run 20% faster. This means a clock built for 50 hertz will run faster. You will not notice any problem with your US hair dryer running a little slower there or the Thai one running faster. You WILL notice the timing on electronic devices.

If you ship the TV, you will have an OLD TV. If any of your stuff is damaged in transit how much is your time worth arguing about repayment and filing an insurance claim? They will claim your stuff did not work before it was shipped.

If you sell the TV, you can "carry it" in your pocket. If you buy when you get to the US, the seller will deliver it and set it up (even Amazon) for you.

The only things that make sense to ship are things ONLY available in Thailand and things of great personal significance. How much is your time worth to pack (or pay for it to be packed) the stuff then unpack it when you get where you are going.

I have moved many times in my life. I USED to pack everything. I learned that money is much lighter to move than the refrigerator or the TV. When I get where I am going, I have something bought locally with a local merchant to deal with in case of problems.

Edited by Hillman321
  • Like 2

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better check if everything is 120V/60Hz compatible. Waste of money of they aren't.

Is anything electrical actually being manufactured today that isn't 100-240V 50/60hz compatible... ???

xermm.gif.pagespeed.ic.rnn_L78jKy.webp

Annoyingly...yes! Things like kitchen appliances, personal shavers, hair dryers, etc.

I made a cruise around the house and checked our stuff and pretty much everything but LG-electronic manufactured stuff was 240V only. That's despicable. What is the world coming to...

Americanos; head to Suriname, Barbados, Curacao, Cuba, El Salvador, Guam or Nicaragua. Otherwise shipping is pretty much a dead deal, I admit that.

annoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0b.gif

The only things that make sense to ship are things ONLY available in Thailand and things of great personal significance. How much is your time worth to pack (or pay for it to be packed) the stuff then unpack it when you get where you are going.

I have moved many times in my life. I USED to pack everything. I learned that money is much lighter to move than the refrigerator or the TV. When I get where I am going, I have something bought locally with a local merchant to deal with in case of problems.

You're wrong. Not everybody who moves are single men who's lived in a condo. Take a family and the situation is entirely different; I have made this mistake once and ended up buying things every day for months and months, spending an absolute fortune.

In addition, things of great personal significance are the kind of stuff I would NOT ship, I would carry them myself.

Sometimes it makes sense to ship.

Edited by Forethat

There is more to electrical compatibility than voltage. The Thai power is 220 Volts 50 HERTZ (cycles per second). US power is 120 Volts 60 HERTZ. The difference in frequency has great effect on things that involve TIMING. For instance, motors will run 20% faster. This means a clock built for 50 hertz will run faster. You will not notice any problem with your US hair dryer running a little slower there or the Thai one running faster. You WILL notice the timing on electronic devices.

If you ship the TV, you will have an OLD TV. If any of your stuff is damaged in transit how much is your time worth arguing about repayment and filing an insurance claim? They will claim your stuff did not work before it was shipped.

If you sell the TV, you can "carry it" in your pocket. If you buy when you get to the US, the seller will deliver it and set it up (even Amazon) for you.

This is absolutely the right answer.

It might be the right answer for OP who apparently only have a small number of electronic items, but in many cases this is not the right thing to do at all.

It might be the right answer for OP who apparently only have a small number of electronic items, but in many cases this is not the right thing to do at all.

If you have a container load of good quality furniture and lots of quality household items, then yes, the economy of scale is on your side for containerized door to door shipping.

If you have a container load of good quality furniture and lots of quality household items, then yes, the economy of scale is on your side for containerized door to door shipping.

You're not listening to what I'm saying.

It's NOT the expensive furniture. In fact, quality furniture would be extremely easy to sell and you can re-acquire fairly easy.

The PROBLEM is the many small things that can't be sold as "quality items". Who's going to by your cutlery? Who's going to buy the waste baskets from your bathrooms? There's a massive difference between a single guy from a rented condo compared to a family with children. I estimated the stuff in our house at something like £100,000. If I sold the furniture I would still have £70,000 worth of stuff to sell and re-acquire. Are you telling me you dont recognise that this can't be done without making a SERIOUS loss? In light of this, shipping the things sounds like an attractive proposition, doesn't it...?

In addition, what are you going to tell your children; "sorry sweetie, your toys and your stuffed animals must to go, we'll buy a new one".

So as I said, sometimes shipping makes perfect sense.

Edited by Forethat

You're not listening to what I'm saying.

It's NOT the expensive furniture. In fact, quality furniture would be extremely easy to sell and you can re-acquire fairly easy.

The PROBLEM is the many small things that can't be sold as "quality items". Who's going to by your cutlery? Who's going to buy the waste baskets from your bathrooms? There's a massive difference between a single guy from a rented condo compared to a family with children. I estimated the stuff in our house at something like £100,000. If I sold the furniture I would still have £70,000 worth of stuff to sell and re-acquire. Are you telling me you dont recognise that this can't be done without making a SERIOUS loss? In light of this, shipping the things sounds like an attractive proposition, doesn't it...?

In addition, what are you going to tell your children; "sorry sweetie, your toys and your stuffed animals must to go, we'll buy a new one".

So as I said, sometimes shipping makes perfect sense.

I've never had that much stuff.

That's some very expensive cutlery. Last cutlery I bought in the UK was a full Lidl dining set for about a tenner.

I'm sure I'm not that bothered to be honest.

I've never had that much stuff.

That's some very expensive cutlery. Last cutlery I bought in the UK was a full Lidl dining set for about a tenner.

I'm sure I'm not that bothered to be honest.

My point is that most people don't realise how expensive it would be if they had to replace all their stuff. In the case of the OP it'd be an easy choice, just sell the darned things and get new ones delivered. But a family and it's a completely different beast.

Sometimes shipping makes sense.

Take The Loss, It Is Not Worth The Costs Of The Shipment plus taxes... Plus The equipment you bring will need adaptors for the speakers and the TV will not work in the states it is a different video format... Do some research if you like but, I just moved back in August 2012 and had to sell all my New electronics and New appliances (They Use 220 volts electric in Thailand and 110 in America. You will not come close to the price you ask, this is Thailand. Suggest you give to your family there or sell it on thaivisa.com

Please...anyone have any shipping company referrals from BKK to USA?

I need to ship a 20 foot container soon.

Any other shipping referrals for boxes or cargo is very appreciated. I was quoted very high prices of over 8,000 dollars door to door.

That's crazy.

You're wrong. Not everybody who moves are single men who's lived in a condo. Take a family and the situation is entirely different; I have made this mistake once and ended up buying things every day for months and months, spending an absolute fortune.

In addition, things of great personal significance are the kind of stuff I would NOT ship, I would carry them myself.

You assume I am single and only lived in a condo. I am not and never did. "spending a fortune" means someone did not seek best prices for the best products

Excellent info - I am happy to use Oz devices (230V. 50Hz) in both Malaysia and Thailand - no problems so far !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country#Table_of_mains_voltages_and_frequencies

*Never* try to use a step-up/stepdown transformer with audio gear - sell it and buy again. $@!!%& the Japanese for going 120V .100V ...

Edited by MrWorldwide

You assume I am single and only lived in a condo. I am not and never did. "spending a fortune" means someone did not seek best prices for the best products

Of course I dont. I dont assume anything. I made a general comment with regards to your comment that "The only things that make sense to ship are things ONLY available in Thailand and things of great personal significance". And that is of course not correct. You were wrong.

As I said, again, and again, and again, and again, and over again....sometimes shipping makes sense.

My US electronics work fine in TH and my TH electronics work fine in the US in my recent, personal experience. Read the find print on plugs, power adapters, & back of devices.

Maybe instead of debating what's right for others' personal needs, lets help those who are asking for assistance with personal effects removals/moving/export sourcing, costs and pitfalls to watch out for. For LCL (less than a complete container load), if you box everything up and label contents, the movers [can] pick it up, palletize it and fit it with other LCL shipments for low cost, especially if you're not in a big hurry to get yr stuff. I came across this one in a simple Google search, which had some recommendations listed on their site:

http://www.intermover-thailand.com/index.php?Content=contact

Another thread mentioned Thai Post's sea freight as being very cheap, using their provided boxes; buy the boxes, fill them up & take to the Thai Post for hand-off - just don't tape them closed at drop-off so they can inspect the contents - so Customs goes smoothly. Shipping costs listed in that thread were very cheap. Go search it out here on TV.

• Like 2

just wondering about the voltage thing... Why is it that my computer monitors, power supply for pc, laptops have always worked in the USA and Thailand without any adapter and without problem?

Because they are designed and built with International sales in mind. They employ a switching power supply that automatically handles voltages from 100-240V. At one time those power supply's were more expensive but with new circuitry the price has dropped drastically. All you need to do is look at the label on the unit to see the voltage requirement. If they are intended for sale Internationally, it is required labeling.

Today, almost every power adapter is mufti-voltage capabable. There are still some exceptions usually because the company building them do not want to go through the expense of testing which has rigid rules.

Some electronics have a slide switch on the power supply allowing you to change the voltage to work in your area.

Hope that explains it for you.

• Like 2

I appreciate all the suggestions, ideas, opinions, etc even though we got a little off topic. Per advice, I posted an ad on craigslist and here on ThaiVisa. Good news I already have a prospective buyer for the TV. The hard part is letting go. They were first purchases made by my fiancé and myself so theres a bit of sentimental value.

Thank you for all the replies and the voice of reasons!

Here is the living room set if anyone is interested:
996804_10200349050311663_2095750001_n_zp

996910_10200507535273688_1393596067_n_zp

Better check if everything is 120V/60Hz compatible. Waste of money of they aren't.

Looks like id need a step-up/down converter. Not expensive but kinda bulky.

Converters have a nasty habit of burning out when you leave them on too long, meaning that you'll most likely need to unplug your stuff when not in use. This will cause all saved-info features to zero out. My knowledge is a bit dated, however, so perhaps someone will correct me?

Also, converters eat up a lot of electricity, so expect a higher electrical bill.

One possibility for shipping is to use Thai Cargo. They are cheaper than China Air Cargo, e.g., & less-risky than most private shipping firms. Here's a link to the details of the various-sized containers: http://www.thaicargo.com/uld.html.

• Like 1

Converters have a nasty habit of burning out when you leave them on too long, meaning that you'll most likely need to unplug your stuff when not in use. This will cause all saved-info features to zero out. My knowledge is a bit dated, however, so perhaps someone will correct me?

FWIW, before I moved from the U.S., I bought four good quality step-down converters of different capacity amounts for various of the home electronics I was bringing here that were 110-120V only. The main and largest one I've been using for years at my desk for a variety of PC peripherals and such.

In all the years I've been using them, I've never had any of the four burn out. And the desk one has been on and in use pretty much constantly for years. The others are used intermittently for smaller kitchen and household electronics that only are compatible with U.S. voltage.

I've moved my stuff with me a few times, most recently was a 3.5 Cm shipment from the UAE to here. I went with AGS because they have offices in many countries and in that they afford more accountability. they weren't cheap (about $1650 USD) and it took a while for us to receive our stuff but once here everything was as we had packed it and we were very happy. most of our gear is musical equipment and the wife's bags/shoes (don't ask), but there was also a couple of TVs and a shitload of clothes and book etc.

if you don't have a lot of stuff, and/or you aren't majorly attached to it you might be best to sell. that said TVs are getting cheaper and cheaper, and it seems like you would only have a small shipment anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

Of course I dont. I dont assume anything. I made a general comment with regards to your comment that "The only things that make sense to ship are things ONLY available in Thailand and things of great personal significance". And that is of course not correct. You were wrong.

As I said, again, and again, and again, and again, and over again....sometimes shipping makes sense.

"You're wrong. Not everybody who moves are single men who's lived in a condo. "

That clearly is an assumption. Good Luck with your OLD stuff that may get damaged during shipping. Electronics clearly have a compatibility problem.