IP Ranges blocked

draftvader

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone once said "never attribute to malice what could just as easily be attributed to incompetence."

If this was a censorship attempt, we would see more ISP's being blocked, instead the seem to be coming back online. This is probably just maintenance or repairs going one.

I have True Cable in BKK...

FWIW, I had having very bad and inconsistent speeds on international connections a week or so ago, called True, and was told they were having international connection problems... Then in the past few days, those symptoms for me seemed to ease.

But then this afternoon, I was trying to access a couple of Thailand sites (totally non-political). For one, a hospital, I kept getting site not found. For another, relating to bus routes, the site would only load partially.

Something is clearly going on...but it's not just limited to international connections. I wouldn't put it past some ham-handed monkeying on the part of the government related to the current protests.

http://www.antoni-uni-photography.com/Ratcha-Anachak-Thai/TECHNICAL-STUFF/Its-TRUE-Really/25827080_d4x3bW#!i=2895410519&k=hjKBhDD&lb=1&s=A

This message I received yesterday-evening. For me however the (upload)-speed stays very bad as for three weeks now: about .23 MB. I phoned them (again), they didn't had the previous complaints, started asking the standard s@#t-questions and promised me to send a "technicien" (again) to-day....................

Unfortunately I'm stuck to True where I live!

Somebody on here mentioned the theory that this was scheduled maintenance on the international connections. On Saturday it was hard to tell and I went through all the theories and settled on "wrong button". However.....

Over the past few days I have noticed a severe improvement on international connections to the UK. My tracerts are now showing a direct connection to the UK from Thailand. I recognise that this could be disguised but I am seeing lower ping rates (not speedtest.net) and am noticing MUCH quicker writes to my server in the UK. My question is whether anybody who came through this topic is more anal than me about international connection speeds and whether they have any data to back up the theory that our downtime on Saturday was actually to benefit us internet users in Thailand?

Somebody on here mentioned the theory that this was scheduled maintenance on the international connections. On Saturday it was hard to tell and I went through all the theories and settled on "wrong button". However.....

Over the past few days I have noticed a severe improvement on international connections to the UK. My tracerts are now showing a direct connection to the UK from Thailand. I recognise that this could be disguised but I am seeing lower ping rates (not speedtest.net) and am noticing MUCH quicker writes to my server in the UK. My question is whether anybody who came through this topic is more anal than me about international connection speeds and whether they have any data to back up the theory that our downtime on Saturday was actually to benefit us internet users in Thailand?

I'm no where near your apparent level of IT knowledge but do you think any of this is slowing down Youtube as well? Before approx 2 weeks ago, I was watching 1hr+ movies with no issues but now it takes me 20 minutes to watch an 8 minute video. Loads a bit then stops, video freezes anywhere from 10 seconds to 3 minutes, then a little more loads, etc...

Nothing else is a problem, streaming news is mostly ok, downloading files seems to be normal speed. I don't know if it's a Youtube or ISP, or both.

Somebody on here mentioned the theory that this was scheduled maintenance on the international connections.  On Saturday it was hard to tell and I went through all the theories and settled on "wrong button".  However.....

Over the past few days I have noticed a severe improvement on international connections to the UK.  My tracerts are now showing a direct connection to the UK from Thailand.  I recognise that this could be disguised but I am seeing lower ping rates (not speedtest.net) and am noticing MUCH quicker writes to my server in the UK.  My question is whether anybody who came through this topic is more anal than me about international connection speeds and whether they have any data to back up the theory that our downtime on Saturday was actually to benefit us internet users in Thailand?

I'm no where near your apparent level of IT knowledge but do you think any of this is slowing down Youtube as well?  Before approx 2 weeks ago, I was watching 1hr+ movies with no issues but now it takes me 20 minutes to watch an 8 minute video.  Loads a bit then stops, video freezes anywhere from 10 seconds to 3 minutes, then a little more loads, etc... 

Nothing else is a problem, streaming news is mostly ok, downloading files seems to be normal speed.  I don't know if it's a Youtube or ISP, or both.   

I have noticed that some videos stream quicker than others. Bear in mind that YouTube uses CDNs (content distribution networks) that will co-locate videos depending on demand. Some videos might not get as much regional demand so aren't served from more local sources. I have, however, found that refreshing can change the connection speed with YT.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm no where near your apparent level of IT knowledge but do you think any of this is slowing down Youtube as well? Before approx 2 weeks ago, I was watching 1hr+ movies with no issues but now it takes me 20 minutes to watch an 8 minute video. Loads a bit then stops, video freezes anywhere from 10 seconds to 3 minutes, then a little more loads, etc...

Nothing else is a problem, streaming news is mostly ok, downloading files seems to be normal speed. I don't know if it's a Youtube or ISP, or both.

I have noticed that some videos stream quicker than others. Bear in mind that YouTube uses CDNs (content distribution networks) that will co-locate videos depending on demand. Some videos might not get as much regional demand so aren't served from more local sources. I have, however, found that refreshing can change the connection speed with YT.

Makes sense. Not sure why the content I usually watch was fine a couple weeks ago, now it's just painful. Anyway, thanks for responding, appreciate it.

Makes sense. Not sure why the content I usually watch was fine a couple weeks ago, now it's just painful. Anyway, thanks for responding, appreciate it.

Just found this thread that offers another point.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/674322-return-to-youtubes-old-way-of-buffering/