Thai govt warns of tough action if protests against amnesty bill escalate irrationally

webfact

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Suranand Vejjajiva, secretary general to the prime minister, stood firm that the government would not disperse protesters whose demonstrations are in accordance with the democratic system.

But Thai subjects are not part of a democracy; odd statement

Could it happen that the army stand behind the people and the police stand behind the government? That could lead to a very nasty situation. I don't believe Taksin has the army in his pocket. The army's loyalty lie elsewhere and with the people and that cannot be bought.

While I agree the army's loyalty lay's elsewhere! I think the army has been bought, after all there is an army general in the government as a sitting MP is there not?

I have spoken to several thais and they all agree with you ggold; basically Thaksin has bought the army. They all say how weak this army is and that a coup will never happen now, no matter what.

Could it happen that the army stand behind the people and the police stand behind the government? That could lead to a very nasty situation. I don't believe Taksin has the army in his pocket. The army's loyalty lie elsewhere and with the people and that cannot be bought.

While I agree the army's loyalty lay's elsewhere! I think the army has been bought, after all there is an army general in the government as a sitting MP is there not? 

I have spoken to several thais and they all agree with you ggold; basically Thaksin has bought the army. They all say how weak this army is and that a coup will never happen now, no matter what.

Given the nod from the right quarter, the army will jump to attention and do as it is told.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not too sure about that, The Criminal may have tried to get the scorpion to take him across the water, but it's still a scorpion.

Given the nod from the right quarter, the army will jump to attention and do as it is told.

I think (I hope?) that the army realises that at the moment a coup would be condemned by most, unlike in September 2006.

Mind you, if some throw in some violence towards the anti-government protesters and/or the government will get tough on what they might claim 'inappropriate, irrational and/or escalating' protests, the bets are open. IMHO wai2.gif

I think (I hope?) that the army realises that at the moment a coup would be condemned by most, unlike in September 2006.

Mind you, if some throw in some violence towards the anti-government protesters and/or the government will get tough on what they might claim 'inappropriate, irrational and/or escalating' protests, the bets are open. IMHO wai2.gif

Which is precisely why the dem sponsored demonstration has imposed a 6pm deadline on Monday for the deliberation / throwing out of the amnesty bill. If it is not done by then ,which most likely will be the case, the dem sponsored demonstration against the Amnesty Bill morphs into the dem sponsored demonstration against the government.

And that, is a perfect example of an inappropriate, irrational and/or escalating protest, would you not say?

Which is precisely why the dem sponsored demonstration has imposed a 6pm deadline on Monday for the deliberation / throwing out of the amnesty bill. If it is not done by then ,which most likely will be the case, the dem sponsored demonstration against the Amnesty Bill morphs into the dem sponsored demonstration against the government.

And that, is a perfect example of an inappropriate, irrational and/or escalating protest, would you not say?

More like seizing the moment, why is it inappropriate and irrational?

PS: the Dem do not sponsor the protest movement, they are a spontaneous group of protestors, volunteering their time and resources, not paid protestors like the redshiirts. The Bangkok council provide water and sanitation and another group provide other resources, same as the redshirts.

No, why would I?

PTP seem to be getting more & more desperate. Busing in Reds from up country, threatening the use of force, threats from DSI chief & threatening to charge leaders with rebellion. Saying they will not pursue the current amnesty bills is simply not enough. It is still not known what the senate will do although it seems PTP desperately want them to throw it out & not change it.

PTP seem to be getting more & more desperate. Busing in Reds from up country, threatening the use of force, threats from DSI chief & threatening to charge leaders with rebellion. Saying they will not pursue the current amnesty bills is simply not enough. It is still not known what the senate will do although it seems PTP desperately want them to throw it out & not change it.

The title was slightly wrong, apparently, it should be:

Thai govt warns of irrational action if protests against amnesty bill escalate.
  • Like 1