Life/accident insurance for younger guy?

LionMG

Hi,

I'm new here and new to insurance in general. I've never had it except for travel insurance. I'm here for 6 months minimum, likely a lot longer... and I figure I better hurry up and get some insurance!

I'm 26 without any health issues.

Can someone recommend a company (and hopefully a branch with decent English) and what type of coverage I'd need? I'm riding a motorbike every day.

Thanks a lot. smile.png

Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn Bank for accident insurance (700-2500 Baht per year for a very basic policy). But you will need much more than that if you get hurt bad. At your age about 5000 per year for health insurance that will also cover accidents and pay the surgeon an additional 30K Baht. Try Thai Health.

I'm a little confused. Are you recommending getting accident insurance from the bank, and also health insurance from Thai health (which covers accidents)? Or just get Thai Health? Thanks.

Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn Bank for accident insurance (700-2500 Baht per year for a very basic policy). But you will need much more than that if you get hurt bad. At your age about 5000 per year for health insurance that will also cover accidents and pay the surgeon an additional 30K Baht. Try Thai Health.

I'm a little confused. Are you recommending getting accident insurance from the bank, and also health insurance from Thai health (which covers accidents)? Or just get Thai Health? Thanks.

The problem is that the accident insurance policies issued through the banks only pay a maximum of 50,000 Baht per accident. (When I was in a bad accident I went through 50,000 Baht of medical treatment in the first 3 hours). Yes, they pay 3 million Baht to your beneficiary if you die or 1 million Baht to you if you lose your eyesight or lose a limb, but lets hope you don't get hurt that bad and that they can put you back together so you can enjoy your time in Thailand. I only suggested a health insurance policy in addition to the accident policy because they are cheap at your age, cover accidents, and would give you an additional 150,000-200,000 Baht in coverage if you select the cheapest plans. So then you would be up to 200-250,000 Baht of coverage. A good orthopedic surgeon plus a few days in the hospital will cost you 280,000-500,000 Baht if you are hurt really bad and need complicated orthopedic surgery, so you still won't be covered 100% in the worst case scenario.

You could also check out how much motorcycle insurance policies cost that cover you as well. Most of them only cover 3rd party liability (the other guy). I remember getting a quote a few years ago for such a policy and the annual premiums were very expensive. I won't ride a motorcycle here anymore. It's just too dangerous. But by all means get yourself some insurance sooner rather than later!

Edit: I just re-read your OP. You have travel insurance? Through an International company? Have you checked to see how much it would cost to add a rider to your policy that covers motorcycle accidents? Usually International policies offer a much higher level of coverage than policies in Thailand do and they are quite cheap. I would start there first.

Edited by elektrified

Edit: I just re-read your OP. You have travel insurance? Through an International company? Have you checked to see how much it would cost to add a rider to your policy that covers motorcycle accidents? Usually International policies offer a much higher level of coverage than policies in Thailand do and they are quite cheap. I would start there first.

No I don't, I meant that has been my only experience buying insurance.

By my question I meant, why do I need the extra accident insurance from the bank, if Thai Health covers accidents? Or the accident coverage from Thai Health wouldn't be as good as the bank's?

Does Thai Health have an office in Chiang Mai? Having trouble finding this info... Googling "Thai Health" and "Thai Health Insurance" brings up a lot of irrelevant results.

Thanks!

He's saying that it may be better for you to look into the current travel insurance you already have. If it doesn't cover motorcycles, see if there is an additional rider that can be added to cover it. (FYI most insurance do not cover motorcycle accidents, or have limited coverage)

Re: accident insurance. If you do not have family/dependants, and already have good helath insurance, it may not be necessary. (it is very cheap to add though!)

health insurance. google BUPA.

By my question I meant, why do I need the extra accident insurance from the bank, if Thai Health covers accidents? Or the accident coverage from Thai Health wouldn't be as good as the bank's?

Does Thai Health have an office in Chiang Mai? Having trouble finding this info... Googling "Thai Health" and "Thai Health Insurance" brings up a lot of irrelevant results.

Thanks!

The problem is that the accident insurance policies issued through the banks only pay a maximum of 50,000 Baht per accident. (When I was in a bad accident I went through 50,000 Baht of medical treatment in the first 3 hours). Yes, they pay 3 million Baht to your beneficiary if you die or 1 million Baht to you if you lose your eyesight or lose a limb, but lets hope you don't get hurt that bad and that they can put you back together so you can enjoy your time in Thailand. I only suggested a health insurance policy in addition to the accident policy because they are cheap at your age, cover accidents, and would give you an additional 150,000-200,000 Baht in coverage if you select the cheapest plans. So then you would be up to 200-250,000 Baht of coverage. A good orthopedic surgeon plus a few days in the hospital will cost you 280,000-500,000 Baht if you are hurt really bad and need complicated orthopedic surgery, so you still won't be covered 100% in the worst case scenario.

You could also check out how much motorcycle insurance policies cost that cover you as well. Most of them only cover 3rd party liability (the other guy). I remember getting a quote a few years ago for such a policy and the annual premiums were very expensive. I won't ride a motorcycle here anymore. It's just too dangerous. But by all means get yourself some insurance sooner rather than later!

To be fair, 30k is enough for almost any accident assuming you aren't using a private English speaking hospital which charges about 15x the going rate

(CM RAM).

As an example,

a friend of mine cut his ankle mountain biking, 4,000bht for 2 stitches in CM RAM, plus 180bht a time for changing dressings.

Local government hospital (200m away from CM RAM) charges 150bht for the same treatment.

Edited by FiftyTwo

break a bone and 30,000 is nothing. If its worse than a bone break, 100,000 can be nothing.

To be fair, 30k is enough for almost any accident assuming you aren't using a private English speaking hospital which charges about 15x the going rate
(CM RAM).

As an example,
a friend of mine cut his ankle mountain biking, 4,000bht for 2 stitches in CM RAM, plus 180bht a time for changing dressings.
Local government hospital (200m away from CM RAM) charges 150bht for the same treatment.

Don't listen to the poster telling you 30K THB will cover you in an accident. He/she is pulling your leg. Like CMSteve said, even 100K THB coverage will barely be enough if you need orthopedic surgery.

break a bone and 30,000 is nothing. If its worse than a bone break, 100,000 can be nothing.

(CM RAM).

As an example,

Thanks!

Again, the banks only offer policies that pay out a maximum of 30K THB for a motorcycle accident (actual medical expenses). You will go through that in a couple of hours if you are hurt badly.

I don't know if Thai Health has an office here or not. I happen to have a Thai Health policy but I've also had AXA or AIA - I forget now. There is also Ayudhya Allianz. My child has a policy with them. I have always printed out the application off the internet and mailed it in to Bangkok, transferred the money and got the policy in the post.

Here is the link to the Thai Health application --> http://www.thaihealth.co.th/2012/files/ApplicationForm2012.pdf

Edited by elektrified

CMSteve offers sage advice at # 8: 'If it doesn't cover motorcycles, see if there is an additional rider that can be added to cover it. (FYI most insurance do not cover motorcycle accidents, or have limited coverage) '

Read the fine print because the above is so true, and no doubt disconcerting if you were in a serious accident on a M/C and assumed wrongly you were covered. This goes for 'western' policies too.

Ensure too you are insured against 3rd party damage, injury and/or death. I once had BUPA and unless things have changed they cover only 50% whether your are riding or pillion.

Doubt if they will even consider a 'rider', but....

Edited by tango