Pda Phone With Gprs Internet

poorfarang

Does anyone here have any expereince using a PDA Phone with gprs internet?

Im looking to get another device that will allow me to have internet anywhere (almost) for checking emails and such when I am away from my other systems.

Can I just throw a thai sim in there and connect to the GPRS?

Which devices are better then others?

Hi,

I use a 2 year old O2 XDA II. Its a PDA phone with a Dtac SIM card.

Connected 24x7 via GPRS. i can check my mail, browse, msn messenger, and other apps.

I think there are a lot better pocket PC based PDA-phones available, liked one from Dopod, it has a big sliding keyboard. Will probably save up for that.

Personally i dont like the palm based PDAs due to lack of funcationality.

you can read loads if you google for - palm vs pocket pc

well...n ot exactly sure whats my service plan...have to check again.

it was 990 or something per month for unlimited usage.

While on travel, i connect the PDA to the computer, then use the gprs on my laptop.

>So is your phone connected 24x7 so when an email comes in it alerts you instantly?

There is an option for this, but i don't use it. If enabled, it would keep checking your mailbox for new mails and then download it. this option hogs a lot of battery.

I just check for new mails when needed.

Just remember these PDAs when runing on gprs are a big battery hogs.

Im looking to get another device that will allow me to have internet anywhere (almost) for checking emails and such when I am away from my other systems.

Hi

I use the Nokia 9500 when on the road. I use it with a Dtac Sim. They charge 1 Baht / minute (you need to call them to change this as other wise it does by kb) .

I do use Gprs only when aborad .

In BKK Area Internet is often faster as it has EDGE support ,other Places you will get regular GPRS speed .

I also connect on WIFI Spots (if available) as this is supported as well.

I think the speed of the Nokia 9500 is not breathtaking , but it loads applications fast enough. Why i like it is because of the full Keyboard and if you want to write a email this is a lot better than typing it with the Pen....

Emails is nice to work with the installed Client and never had any issues. For Browsing i use the Opera Mini Browser(it loads the pages faster) , but there is a Browser that also comes with it that isn't too bad.

hope that helps,

rcm :o

I love my HP Ipaq 6515 mobile messenger. This was the first phone released that had everything I need in Bangkok. My key functionality was:

EDGE, for fast internet connection.

Dtac is only network using this, and you need to be within 20km of central Bangkok to get the high speed. It's not quite broadband speed but fast enough, like 3-4 times dialup speed and works well. Certainly beats GPRS speed by a significant margin, if your only interested in basic email, you could easily do without this though.

GPS receiver and Bangkok/Thailand map software.

This is a godsend if you take many taxi rides around, or want to explore Thailand without fear of getting lost. The software that came bundled with the phone enables you to see where those dodgy thai taxi drivers are taking you and if they are taking you the 'scenic route' or the most efficient route, also the software tells you the nearest golf course/karaoke bar based on your current location. Works well but the software could be improved in certain ways.

Email

As the other posters mentioned, I simply connect to download my messages, the windows mobile interface integrates with Outlook very well, can download multiple pop3 mailboxes no problem, if your familiar with Outlook you shouldn't have problems. If you use different email client you might want to check about the integration.

Other notes:

Battery life, if your going to use it a lot, you'll want to recharge it to full every day. Especially if you use the gps functionality, I expected it to be worse than it is (I had an old Garsen GPS which burned batteries like nobodies business, the gps on this is pretty efficient in comparison). Internet Explorer that comes with windows mobile is fine for browsing. 2 expansion card slots.. mini-SD and regular SD Card so you can theoretically bump the onboard storage to 3GB.

I've even dropped the thing a few times on hard floors and its withstood it, all in all a nice piece of kit.

Bought it 9 months ago when it was released though and havent been keeping up to date with the latest and greatest new technology so might want to research a little bit.

Dominic

I use my Nokia N70, works fine for sending & receiving emails and attachments, 2.0 MPx Camera, great photos, 1 gig memory for my MP3s and photos, VDO camera, documents storage, blue tooth etc. Not as bulky as most PDA phones.

I use AIS, never have problems.

Waiting for the N80 to come out though with a 3MPx camera.

I use the O2 XDA IIs, which is basically the same as SMS's XDA II, only the s has the slide down keyboard. Pretty handy for typing a bit longer messages or e-mails...

I have a 120 hours/month package from AIS (post paid) so can't leave it on GPRS all the time, no problem as connecting only takes like 3 seconds and saves battery...

Only drawback is the lack of edge capability... No problem yet for me as where I live edge is not deployed yet

Yes, you can just stick your SIM in there and it will work fine, although I have a vague recollection that you have to notify AIS to give your account access to GPRS and are charged some fairly modest monthy fee depending on you transfer volumes.

GPRS sometimes runs slowly here and not infrequently hangs up altogehter and gives you a time-out, but does work after a fashion. At the very least it works well enough for you to see what email you have waiting (just don't expect any large attachments to come through very well).

I've used a Treo 650 for nearly two years here. One SIM card for Thailand, a separate SIM card for France, and a third SIM card for the US. I have no doubt that its the finest combination phone and PDA available today. The Bluetooth sync works faultlessly with my PowerBook and that is quite a bit of inexpensive software around that will really make the whole package sing.

Hi

I use the Nokia 9500 when on the road. I use it with a Dtac Sim. They charge 1 Baht / minute (you need to call them to change this as other wise it does by kb) .

I do use Gprs only when aborad .

In BKK Area Internet is often faster as it has EDGE support ,other Places you will get regular GPRS speed .

I also connect on WIFI Spots (if available) as this is supported as well.

I think the speed of the Nokia 9500 is not breathtaking , but it loads applications fast enough. Why i like it is because of the full Keyboard and if you want to write a email this is a lot better than typing it with the Pen....

Emails is nice to work with the installed Client and never had any issues. For Browsing i use the Opera Mini Browser(it loads the pages faster) , but there is a Browser that also comes with it that isn't too bad.

hope that helps,

rcm :o

how did u get the Opera Mini Browser?

I have a Nokia 9300 with Dtac in Bangkok but I find it 90% useless (for internet) because it is too slow.

EDGE, for fast internet connection.[/b]

Dtac is only network using this, and you need to be within 20km of central Bangkok to get the high speed. It's not quite broadband speed but fast enough, like 3-4 times dialup speed and works well. Certainly beats GPRS speed by a significant margin, if your only interested in basic email, you could easily do without this though.

Dominic

Since when? I hav ebeen using EDGE on AIS 1-2-call for almost 2 years now......