Sff Computers Out Of Favor In Los

JSixpack

A couple of years ago, if you were walking around Panthip, it was easy to run across a shop selling SFF (Small Form Factor, using mini-ITX mainboard) computers. The cubes would be sitting out on display on the front counters, like LCD monitors usually are. Now in Panthip, Fortune City, and TukCom Pattaya you don't see any at all. What you see a lot more of is notebooks. I suppose notebooks have taken over that market in Thailand at least. That's rather a pity, since notebooks are so proprietary and limited whereas the ITX boxes have the generic interchangeability we love in our ATXs. Now if I bought an ITX in Thailand I'd be a bit worried about the upgrade path, not to mention getting a new mainboard for it if the old one blew.

SFF systems are taking off in the UK where people are integrating their PC into their home cinema setups (Good old Windows XP Media Center) and small discrete cases blend in better.

Here I think the problem could be that the SFF boxes just dont look flash enough. I mean you can buy tower cases that have Perspex sides, neon lights, LCD screens.

We all know the more LED's, knobs and buttons any electrical device has the better it is..... ;-)