California couple moves to Thailand to avoid the financial stress of living In the US

webfact

You people need to express a little compassion here. Life is hard everywhere - and these young people shouldn't be condemned for choosing the wrong university major - times have changed dramatically.

I came out of California school system before that drooling dodo, Ronald Reagan ruined the state. When I entered the workforce you could not avoid getting a good position with an open field for advancement. Those days are long gone.

Many young and educated Americans I meet overseas were contracting in Iraq and Afghanistan - now those good paying jobs are vanishing.

I wish this guys good luck, they are going to need it.

smile.png

• Like 1

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a load of crock shit,  why freelance jobs,,,find a real job and work, get you hands dirty if you WANT to work you can work, especially in your own country which language you speak. Coming to Thailand ,how are they getting jobs? they speak Thai ?,if they struggling now for money they will be broke and live on the street in a month ,not very bright (my opinion)  Posted Image[/

Why have ambition and dreams? Back to coal mine and quickly.. before you're homeless.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Gosh, 2 folks that borrowed money to get an education and live the "American dream" now they run away from responsibility and commitment . If you make a debt, you pay that debt. And people ask whats wrong with the USA sad.png

Since moving to Phuket, Jeff, 29 and Marina, 25, have cut their living expenses by 65%. They live in a fully furnished condo ten minutes from the beach and drive a motorbike that only uses $3 worth of gas each week. They've been able to pay off thousands of dollars on their student loans and are even saving up for a three-month trip through Europe at the beginning of next year.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/couple-moved-to-thailand-to-avoid-us-financial-struggles-2013-10?op=1#ixzz2kUpxenW0

I lived in Bangkok, Hua Hin, and Chiang Mai over a 6 yr period. Married a Thai who lived in these places with me. We just moved to the states. We now live balf way between San Diego and LA; however, I've also lived in Texas, Oregon, Washington, Illinois, Nevada, North Carolina, Florida, Idaho, and Colorado. I've also visited 48 of the 50 states. Point being, I think I can make an unbiased assessment of the differences between cost, quality of life, value, and lifestyle more than most.

Here is my list of pros living ing the states vs Thailand.

1. If your job makes more than around $60,000/yr you are far better of in every state in the US, except in the largest cities like LA, New York City, Boston, and San Francisco. Most other big towns are a fraction of the cost

2. Water, sewer, and electricity are so dependable and cheap you take them for granted.

3. Every street in all of San Diego county, where I live look like they are clean by the hour.

4. Public transportation is every where, cheap, allows bicycles on, and has wifi

5. All houses are built to code far far far exceeding the standards in Thailand even with foreign built homes

6. Every street in the county has 1-2 meter wide bike paths

7. All of the schools from elementary to university teach critical thinking ( I believe it is well documented on this site the lack thereof with the Thais)

8. If I buy most anything from most any store and I'm not 100% satisfied, I can return it for no questions asked refund, even without a receipt in many stores if I used a cc

9. Used Cars are 50-60%

10. Food in the grocery stores for comparable items is about the same (only eating out is much more expensive)

11. Fuel is significantly cheaper

12. Traffic laws are enforced

13. Police protect you regardless of nationality

14. Beer is the same price

15. Starbucks is way cheaper

16. Beaches, rivers, streams, lakes are clean, many even prestine

17. National parks like yosemite, yellowstone, glacier, gettysburg, etc beyond compare with Thai NPs

18. Bus and train travel is safe

19 able to purchase just about any product the world bas to offer without fear of it being a ripped off copy

20. I can buy a house for under 4-5 million baht of higher quality in al least 40 of the 50 states. A 1-2 million baht house in Thailand would not pass code in the states.

I could keep on going for hours with this list, but I think this is enough of a comparison to show why I, and my Thai family, now live in the US.

Goog luck to the couple, but it is obviously a case of thinking the grass is greener when you've taken for granted what you already had.

Ok IMHO and not to start a fight but after 26 years in the USA and about 30 years in Thailand survey of ONE says:

(1)Thats debatable

(2)Elec cheaper for use but in most cases house is larger so uses more. Sewer free in Thailand once built as it is a septic tank, water I think about the same but maybe cheaper in Thailand.

(3)Clean streets a non event

(4)I thought Thailand has better public transport than most places in the USA

(5)House and code, well it is sticks and stones in the USA and solid state bricks and cement in Thailand. If you make sure you get a good foundation in Thailand homes here are as good or better longevity wise anyway.

(6)Bike paths, non event

(7)Schools, well I have an opinion but I will keep that to myself.

(8)That is true, 100% correct

(9)True, but new pick ups about same in Thailand as long as local made.

(10)Well I think the USA is a bit higher but that depends on what food you eat

(11)True

(12)Yea but it is a money making thing for the state and cities, not really designed to help the consumer. Not sure how much benefit this is.

(13)I believe Thailand to be much safer than most if not all places in the USA

(14)I am into home brew or buying whiskey at duty free so non event

(15)Starbucks well another non event

(16)Non event for me anyway

(17)Non event

(18)As safe as Thailand? In the USA who travels by train or bus?

(19)True

(20)As far as the USA codes true but who cares, all that smoke detector stuff is needed in a wood house with a brick facade but useless in a real brick and cement house. Electrical wiring is better in USA but you can make it just as good in Thailand with some common sense and a bit of Google Search, passing a US code is more of a money making thing for unions and states/cities.

(21)And my own #21. Boring Boring Boring in the USA, Thailand is lots more plain old fun in 99% of all cases. Medical care is not so great in USA, high priced and poor service as I seen my mother wait 8 hrs with a broken arm. That would never happen in Thailand from my experience.

So this is about a couple of graduates who ripped off their banks by doing a runner to Thailand and not paying back their student loans.

Life is hard isn't it.

They have run away from what they call a struggle? This is no different a situation than most young people breaking out into the real world from mummy and daddy's financial apron strings have to endure.

It's called building a life from the bottom up and we all had to do it. They are not running from the stress of living in California and their student loans, they are running away from life itself.

They won't last a year here with that attitude.

This story does not belong here. It is not news to anyone.

If you follow the link in the OP you will see your comment of ripping off the banks is wrong! But I agree I wonder why this story is here!

Welcome notangrumpyoldman please stick around, I feel like I'm a dingy bar at happy hour watching sad looking old men counting out coins.

LOL! Just a bunch of old farts that can't actually take advantage of anything fun Thailand has to offer when you are 20 - 40. Probably scammed by their ex-prostitute wives and now left with a sour taste in their mouth.

I have a feeling I won't be around here much longer! haha

• Like 1

Money cannot buy eternal bliss. They are foolish in basing their decision on such intangible values. Freedom isn't free. There is always a sacrifice for freedom; it is a give and taking lifestyle. Moving to Thailand with a selfish taker mentality usually results in the taker get took.

I agree; I'll give them two years at the most before they stumble into a trap with that mindset. They're running away from financial struggles only to discover that their real struggle is with the reality of their foolish ego.

Money cannot buy eternal bliss. They are foolish in basing their decision on such intangible values. Freedom isn't free. There is always a sacrifice for freedom; it is a give and taking lifestyle. Moving to Thailand with a selfish taker mentality usually results in the taker get took.

I agree; I'll give them two years at the most before they stumble into a trap with that mindset. They're running away from financial struggles only to discover that their real struggle is with the reality of their foolish ego.

• Like 1

I have been here 2 months (on my own) and have just calculate i have spent $7000 US just in running around visas transport food, bed, wardrobe, i live in a friends home and they let me have a room for free but he money goes, no car or motorcycle just everyday spending to set up, no TV or party (non smoker / drinker) it's expensive no mater where you are,, i hope the money river dries up soon or i will be broke,, it can get out of hand if the brkes are not applied. Good luck in your stay here, i am here for the same reason many others are here, for me to avoid the worries of my home country, the politics especially.

Welcome notangrumpyoldman please stick around, I feel like I'm a dingy bar at happy hour watching sad looking old men counting out coins.

LOL! Just a bunch of old farts that can't actually take advantage of anything fun Thailand has to offer when you are 20 - 40. Probably scammed by their ex-prostitute wives and now left with a sour taste in their mouth.

I have a feeling I won't be around here much longer! haha

The times are a changing. Expect to see more couples like the ones in the article slowly changing the face of the expat community.

I think most of us wish them well.

But a lot of us have experienced the next few years of their adventure, and met dozens of similar people along the way.

It starts out all exciting and fun- so exciting that you don't notice the nickels and dimes adding up to big bucks. (My favorite expression on that topic is "going broke saving money")

And If you left because there was no job and money for you back home, you're not going to be a happy camper if you have to go back even broker-er-er.

It can take decades to get out of a financial hole it only takes a few months to dig.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

I left Thailand, after 7 years in CM, to live in California and could not be happier. Cost of living is actually less here. Gas is cheaper. Electric is cheaper, water & gas cheaper. No trash everywhere you go, no pollution.

This couple has a lot to learn. And Phuket to save money?

It is hard to convince people from Europe and Australia that it is so much cheaper to live in the US than those countries. I think Thailand probably does seem cheap to live to people from those areas.

But Americans can find an area in America that's just as cheap as Thailand but with 1st world amenities.

I suspect these people are trying to duck some really big student loans and not pay IRS which they will regret IMHO. As Scott said, it takes time to build a career and everyone starts on the bottom.

I think they are going to snooker themselves and be sorry. When they tire of Thailand and find out it isn't heaven especially for making money, they will be in trouble upon return to the US if they don't play by the rules.

I left Thailand, after 7 years in CM, to live in California and could not be happier. Cost of living is actually less here. Gas is cheaper. Electric is cheaper, water & gas cheaper. No trash everywhere you go, no pollution.

It is hard to convince people from Europe and Australia that it is so much cheaper to live in the US than those countries. I think Thailand probably does seem cheap to live to people from those areas.

But Americans can find an area in America that's just as cheap as Thailand but with 1st world amenities.

I suspect these people are trying to duck some really big student loans and not pay IRS which they will regret IMHO. As Scott said, it takes time to build a career and everyone starts on the bottom.

I think they are going to snooker themselves and be sorry. When they tire of Thailand and find out it isn't heaven especially for making money, they will be in trouble upon return to the US if they don't play by the rules.

Why does moving have anything to do with ducking the IRS and not paying student loans? How desperate are you guys to find some hidden bad meaning behind a couple people enjoying their young life? What's the difference between working online in Thailand and working online in America? As a guy that does it, there is none.

You still have to pay taxes as an American (one of the only few countries in the world that requires expatriates to pay taxes to a country they don't even live in), and the article clearly stated that they are paying their student loans back. If they don't pay either, the minute they land back in the US they'd probably be hauled off by some IRS agents after landing. Also, debt collectors from banks in America are notorious for getting their money any way they can. They'll call family, they'll call people that share the same name, they'll track Facebook, email, anything with your name on it and they'll serve subpoenas and haul you and even your family off to court until you start paying them back.

I moved here and still pay my taxes to the man and paid my student loan off. If you wanted to get away from the man, you'd best get your ass to a country that won't deport you.

• Like 1

I lived in Bangkok, Hua Hin, and Chiang Mai over a 6 yr period. Married a Thai who lived in these places with me. We just moved to the states. We now live balf way between San Diego and LA; however, I've also lived in Texas, Oregon, Washington, Illinois, Nevada, North Carolina, Florida, Idaho, and Colorado. I've also visited 48 of the 50 states. Point being, I think I can make an unbiased assessment of the differences between cost, quality of life, value, and lifestyle more than most.

Here is my list of pros living ing the states vs Thailand.

1. If your job makes more than around $60,000/yr you are far better of in every state in the US, except in the largest cities like LA, New York City, Boston, and San Francisco. Most other big towns are a fraction of the cost

2. Water, sewer, and electricity are so dependable and cheap you take them for granted.

3. Every street in all of San Diego county, where I live look like they are clean by the hour.

4. Public transportation is every where, cheap, allows bicycles on, and has wifi

5. All houses are built to code far far far exceeding the standards in Thailand even with foreign built homes

6. Every street in the county has 1-2 meter wide bike paths

7. All of the schools from elementary to university teach critical thinking ( I believe it is well documented on this site the lack thereof with the Thais)

8. If I buy most anything from most any store and I'm not 100% satisfied, I can return it for no questions asked refund, even without a receipt in many stores if I used a cc

9. Used Cars are 50-60%

10. Food in the grocery stores for comparable items is about the same (only eating out is much more expensive)

11. Fuel is significantly cheaper

12. Traffic laws are enforced

13. Police protect you regardless of nationality

14. Beer is the same price

15. Starbucks is way cheaper

16. Beaches, rivers, streams, lakes are clean, many even prestine

17. National parks like yosemite, yellowstone, glacier, gettysburg, etc beyond compare with Thai NPs

18. Bus and train travel is safe

19 able to purchase just about any product the world bas to offer without fear of it being a ripped off copy

20. I can buy a house for under 4-5 million baht of higher quality in al least 40 of the 50 states. A 1-2 million baht house in Thailand would not pass code in the states.

I could keep on going for hours with this list, but I think this is enough of a comparison to show why I, and my Thai family, now live in the US.

Goog luck to the couple, but it is obviously a case of thinking the grass is greener when you've taken for granted what you already had.

I'll just take one, public transportation. I lived in 26 different places in the USA and 6 had public transportation; most had no taxicabs. Try these on for size: Atlanta percent of jobs reachable by public transport in an hour and a half, 22%. Richmond VA, 27%. Poughkeepsie- NY 8%. Titusville Fl 7%. Youngstown OH 14%. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, Calif. 8%

http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2070992_2071127_2071099,00.html

• Like 2

I have been here 2 months (on my own) and have just calculate i have spent $7000 US just in running around visas transport food, bed, wardrobe, i live in a friends home and they let me have a room for free but he money goes, no car or motorcycle just everyday spending to set up, no TV or party (non smoker / drinker) it's expensive no mater where you are,, i hope the money river dries up soon or i will be broke,, it can get out of hand if the brkes are not applied. Good luck in your stay here, i am here for the same reason many others are here, for me to avoid the worries of my home country, the politics especially.

Krikey, that's a lot. Wife and I usually get through 50-60,000 baht a month now that we live here full time.

Once you get past the initial "set up", with the description of your lifestyle, should even out for you though. Your friend should be able to give you some pointers until you find your feet.here.

Good luck.

So this is about a couple of graduates who ripped off their banks by doing a runner to Thailand and not paying back their student loans.

Life is hard isn't it.

They have run away from what they call a struggle? This is no different a situation than most young people breaking out into the real world from mummy and daddy's financial apron strings have to endure.

It's called building a life from the bottom up and we all had to do it. They are not running from the stress of living in California and their student loans, they are running away from life itself.

I would bet my life that they stiffed the USA on student loans that will never be paid

I'll give them a year... any takers?

It is already written in the article that they are off to another country in 6 months time.

So all the crap about "moving" to Thailand to avoid US costs is misleading. They have simply been visiting!

They might end up in somewhere twice as expensive than the US if they're not careful.

This is just an advertising stint!

-mel.

This couple is running because they owe students loans and don't want to pay them. Anyone couple each with degrees can and should be able to live in the states even California. They are either lazy or smoking the bomb too much. They will return to the states soon enough when they need money or forced to get off their ass...

Neversure wrote, "It is hard to convince people from Europe and Australia that it is so much cheaper to live in the US than those countries."

It is because they can google, http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Thailand&country2=United+States&city1=Chiang+Mai&city2=San+Jose%2C+C Or any other cities.

They could have moved to any other state and lived cheaper then California. To say they moved to Thailand because it is cheaper to live in Thailand is asinine. I lived in Michigan and it cost me the same to live here as it did in Michigan. The only thing cheaper in Thailand is labor and medical.

Have you tried buying a car lately or a computer or go buy some petrol for your car. The big difference in cost is you can buy

cheap china products that USA does not allow in country.

Yes I have. I don't need a car to live here because the public transportation is so good and available, saving me quite a bit of cash. Yes I bought a computer here quite a bit cheaper because of the software included. All in all I spend 500% less for the same lifestyle as the States.

You must have left USA in 1974 because i just bought a laptop and had it mailed to me cheaper then i could buy it here.

I can buy 5 acres of land in Michigan for 450,000 bt. Try buying that in Thailand. I paid $ 18,000.00 for a mazda that would cost $12,000 in USA

If you think 29,000 deaths a year on thailands highways is safe and reliable transportation you must be smoking something good

• Like 1

Life is hard isn't it.

Did you bothet to read the article because it says they are paying off the student loans.

Yes I read it and it said they had no means to pay back the student loans . Sounds like runners to me .... If they cant make it in the US now they will find it tens harder here . I would not recomend to anyone jump and pull stakes move to Thailand for a better job and life . Just plain crazy .........

I'll give them a year... any takers?

It is already written in the article that they are off to another country in 6 months time.

So all the crap about "moving" to Thailand to avoid US costs is misleading. They have simply been visiting!

They might end up in somewhere twice as expensive than the US if they're not careful.

This is just an advertising stint!

-mel.

yep, self-promotion me thinks. gotta keep that social networking mojo going.

Sort of like when you read the local paper's business page about the great new biz in town, all about the owner being so "acclaimed" in his/her background, the great idea they have, the hard work they're going to put into the effort - then 6 or 12 months later they're closed up, gone in the middle of the night.