California couple moves to Thailand to avoid the financial stress of living In the US

webfact

I'll give them a year... any takers?

biggrin.png

Yp but these "Business mags" aren't to keen on follow up. I recall getting corralled when back home by a retirement couple who had read about thailand a lot in those retirement magazines, so they just up and decided to move - I tried to paint a more realistic picture but .... they were sold on the dream.

The good thing, they did not burn bridges, they did not buy anything so after year when they saw another side to the country, one the retirment mags do not mention, they were gone, none the worse for it.

I only wish a bunch of the perma expats here who burned their bridges and now post on TV, had been as wise, for newbies

The big difference is that the man brought his "American" woman together with him to Thailand. In otherwords, they simply relocated their "already made lifestyle" to Thailand.

That young American guy did not come "alone" to Thailand in search of a "life", via some bar-girl, young enough to be his granddaughter. Just like the majority of Russians, he brought his woman with to Thailand. Smart move!

So lighten-up on the negativity about Thailand. Thailand will not change, but block-headed, arrogant, old-assed "know-it-all" (my girlfriend is different) "farangs" refuse to accept the realities, until after they've been royally fleeced by some "dumb" bargirl from Isaan.

That "young" American couple will do just fine together in Thailand. So, try and be more supportive of their efforts, by giving them a big clap2.gif

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah, yes. They could have saved money if they would have moved to Detroit or Ohama. But they would still would have had to make their student loan payments, or face serious consequences. In Thailand they do not have to make the payments. But they are in for a rude awakening if and when they return to the US. No statute of limitations or bankruptcy protection for student loans. They are with you until you die, and maybe longer, with big penalties for delinquency.

• Like 1

There seems to be a disconnect here between the old guard and new expats.

The economy has changed, in the case if this couple who are as has been mentioned relocating for economic and lifestyle reasons, many of the pitfalls that have befallen and embittered some of the 'destined to failure' posters here are unlikely to apply (barring visits to sexybar).

If an income can be generated from a digital business the traditional geographic boundaries are irrelevant, hence 6 months and possibly move elsewhere. Thailand is an excellent choice due to relatively high standard of living which has already been well documented. If fact their business is more likely to grow and succeed if their outgoings are reduced.

By developing their business they are indeed looking after their future very effectively. Even if the business only enjoys moderate success only physical or mental disability would actually prevent them from continuing to provide these services. No chance of being fired, retired off or made redundant.

Naturally this does all rest of their business being solid which is the absolutely most important point here. Money does tend to resolve most problems (particularly here). If they look after their business and each other, Thailand will look after them.

The fact that a clever bit of PR has generated so much interest is quite a good sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What are they going to do for jobs here?. Teach English for 800 baht a day? I suppose with two of them they can pool enough money to live comfortably in Phuket.

Theyre not going to like the expensive cars,.petrol and filthy streets.

Lets have a follow up to this story in 12 months.

There will be a follow up story and maybe even a book: they will write all about their experience...

As for student loans, thousands are not paying their debt because the economy changed and the job market sucks and other reasons. It is about inability to pay sometimes and not irresponsibility.

Business Insider??whistling.gif

I had the same reaction. "Business Insider" as far as I can tell is all about vaguely "business-y" news (or "news" I should say) that will attract attention and thus clicks. Henry Blodget is a founder and I don't think he's changed that much from the days when he got himself banned for life by the SEC.

Ah, yes. They could have saved money if they would have moved to Detroit or Ohama. But they would still would have had to make their student loan payments, or face serious consequences. In Thailand they do not have to make the payments. But they are in for a rude awakening if and when they return to the US. No statute of limitations or bankruptcy protection for student loans. They are with you until you die, and maybe longer, with big penalties for delinquency.

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau estimates that one-fourth of the American workforce may be eligible for repayment or loan-forgiveness programs, the Associated Press reported last month.

When we counsel people, what we get all the time is that people don't know all these options exist, these lower payments, these programs," Mayotte says. "They think it's either you pay (your student loans), or you get in trouble. And it's just not like that.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2013/09/06/student-loan-forgiveness-options/2776545/