BKK-USA Business Class United vs. Delta Any Difference

OMGImInPattaya

I've taken United's Business First class service to the States many times and it's not bad for e price and I like the schedule. I see Delta is heavily promoting their service on these routes from Bangkok now too...is it a new run for them? In any case, any one with experience on Delta business class, either on this run or the run from NRT to Stateside? Any comments on Delta business vs. United?

I see from the seat layouts that Delta don't seem to be using the newer lie-flat pod type seats but the older business class type ones. I did notice that they have a conventional 1-2-1 layout, as opposed to some kinda herringbone or back to back layout you get in many business classes these days. Also, I noticed Delta dont use a 777 or 747 on the Japan to USA leg...I do sorta like that upper deck on united as,it's almost like being in your own private jet.

Keep in mind that miles you earn on delta are TOTAL CRAP compared to mileage plus or advantage miles....almost impossible to find a seat at minimium mileage levels and cannot do one way tickets like united and American.

For that reason I no longer fly delta anywhere....and try sending an email to delta about anything and you'll quickly find out they do NOT care about their customers or your concern....you will get a canned response that often has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of your email.

Have flown both United and Delta in Business class (within the last year....BKK to SFO)......My preference is United....less of a layover at Narita and seat seems wider (I'm a big boy and barely fit in the Delta seat ...but it was a fully flat lie down seat....to be honest United's wasn't that much wider maybe an inch maybe more.....but at least I could turnover easier).....Other than that service was OK for both ...nothing special...

Edited by beachproperty

Korean Air is flying Airbus 380's to several locations in USA including Atlanta.

Sooooo JL... Do you work for Korean Air? Is the Airbus 380 something special? or Are Korean Air flights competitive with United (business/first) and Delta (Business) where the air fare is Approx. $3250..

Edited by beachproperty

look at Qatar , 25% discount , best business class,

Not trying to get your goat or anything ....but Does Qatar fly from Bangkok to the States without flying through the middle east first? And since you suggested it .....Do you know if their competitive with the $3250 air fare (25% off of $6000 or more is still not competitive)?

Just looked at the Qatar internet site ....tried to book flight to USA ....CAN"T

get...img_alert_icon.gif

We are unable to find recommendations for your search. Please change your search criteria and resubmit the search.

Soooooo ThaiPhuket .....what are you thinking? !?!? Do you WORK for QATAR?

Edited by beachproperty

Correction.....Seats are narrower on United vs Delta by 1 inch....but still like United as the layover is shorter in Narita for me...

And JL....seats are even wider on Korean by a little more than 1/2 inch...and the flight is competitive but still more (few hundred dollars) but travel time outbound to San Francisco is 24 hours on Korean vs...17 on United...(big advantage United on Time travel, and cost)

I have 450,000+ lifetime actual miles on United. These days I fly as little as possible.

At the rates you were quoting I presume you are flying into LAX/JFK and not onward to Dubuque, Iowa or some destination.

I have over a 1,000,000 lifetime miles on United , Close to 500,000 on EVA and used Delta a few times...Same route all the time (been doing it for close to 14 years)....in the beginning it was easy to upgrade on United from a coach to business...now you have to buy a higher class coach ticket AND pay a fee on top of that!

Have always looked for the cheapest way to fly business (for awhile it was $2750 on EVA ) so always willing to consider a different airline (even thought about flying China Air....but never took that leap)

BUT getting back to your post....I always just flew BKK/SFO (San Francisco) and as much as I want to avoid it I still go back a few times a year...Mom is 87 so go back at Christmas ....and still have investments in the US that I need to check on every now and then....

Edited by beachproperty

Correction.....Seats are narrower on United vs Delta by 1 inch....but still like United as the layover is shorter in Narita for me...

And JL....seats are even wider on Korean by a little more than 1/2 inch...and the flight is competitive but still more (few hundred dollars) but travel time outbound to San Francisco is 24 hours on Korean vs...17 on United...(big advantage United on Time travel, and cost)

I have checked a few Asian carriers, Korean and EVA, but the layover and total flight time is much more on Korean, and, while the EVA fare is competitive, if a little bit more and they do have their new Royal Business Class service in place, their times, especially on the return, sucks. (I used to take EVA regularly on this flight, but the fare has increased substantially over the past 18 months or so. That, plus the fact I try to sleep most of the trip so food, IFE, and service are not very important to me. I just want a big lie flat seat/bed and a charge port for my iPad. EVA's return time also militated in favor of UA for me the past 3 trips).

The Delta and UA fares are about B 100k so that's why I am sticking with them...and I do like United's schedule. As I'm going to SFO, UA also has a big hub there. The middle eastern carriers gi the wrong direction for me. So was really only interested in if any had any personal experience with Delta's business class planes and service on their Pacific runs.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya
  • Like 1

we flew delta sea/nrt/bkk planes had lie flat seats sept/oct this year.

seats were hard compared to cathay

Funny they seem to use a 747 from Bangkok to Narita and then change to a smaller plane on the 10 hour Marita to San Francisco leg. I would think it eould be the other way around. I will try to find out info on Delta's seats from their user unfriendly website.

Ok...further research shows Delta flys a 777-200ER Bangkok to Tokyo, and a 767-300(winglets) from Tokyo to San Francisco. The Bangkok flight seems to use pod type seating but I can't tell on the Tokyo leg (but seating is spacious 1-2-1 layout).

Funny Delta doesn't seem to have info on their actual seats on their website.

Found it...seat info really buried on the site. Seems like they do have the newer 180 degree lie flat pods on the bangkok to narita flight but not on the much longer narita to San Francisco leg...which kinda sucks. I guess 1-2-1 layout on a 767 would at least be spacious, even if the seats didn't fully recline to a bed.

However, I believe UA has the lie flat pods on both legs now of their bangkok to SFO flight.

Found it...seat info really buried on the site. Seems like they do have the newer 180 degree lie flat pods on the bangkok to narita flight but not on the much longer narita to San Francisco leg...which kinda sucks. I guess 1-2-1 layout on a 767 would at least be spacious, even if the seats didn't fully recline to a bed.

However, I believe UA has the lie flat pods on both legs now of their bangkok to SFO flight.

try this link

http://www.benedelman.org/travel/dlseats/

If on the 767 the seating is 1-2-1 layout then the seats ARE 180 lie flat. The old config is 2-2-2 recliner. The new config is a 1-2-1 staggered flat bed. I prefer Delta over United because of the direct aisle access at every seat, ie no having to step over/someone stepping over you to get up and take a whiz. Plus some on the United configs are backward facing. Fly this route once a month, and at $4-5K a pop, I don't want sit facing backwards nor do I want to climb over someone who is sleeping to take a whiz.

If on the 767 the seating is 1-2-1 layout then the seats ARE 180 lie flat. The old config is 2-2-2 recliner. The new config is a 1-2-1 staggered flat bed. I prefer Delta over United because of the direct aisle access at every seat, ie no having to step over/someone stepping over you to get up and take a whiz. Plus some on the United configs are backward facing. Fly this route once a month, and at $4-5K a pop, I don't want sit facing backwards nor do I want to climb over someone who is sleeping to take a whiz.

Just curious ....You pay $4-5k a pop for a flight between the US and Thailand....Do you originate in the US or Bangkok? The reason I ask is I have been flying this route for the last 14 years and found out long ago the "originating" out of Bangkok is "a lot" cheaper....ie...my flight costs on Business first are $3500 or less ...(usually around $3250) by originating out of Bangkok as opposed to originating in the States (Business/first Starting at $4500 and UP).....Don't know why the difference but I "don't look a gift horse in the mouth".......Maybe you use a different route....my is BKK/SFO

Edited by beachproperty

The flying backwards doesn't bother me and the only time one can even tell one is sitting "backwards" is during take offs and landings when the plane is either accelerating or decelerating. At crushing altitude, one has no idea who is sitting backwards. The stepping over people is a pain but at least in biz class it's only one person and everyone cooperates as its just part of air travel. I'll stick with UA as I always take a seat upstairs and the price is right.

Just curious ....You pay $4-5k a pop for a flight between the US and Thailand....Do you originate in the US or Bangkok? The reason I ask is I have been flying this route for the last 14 years and found out long ago the "originating" out of Bangkok is "a lot" cheaper....ie...my flight costs on Business first are $3500 or less ...(usually around $3250) by originating out of Bangkok as opposed to originating in the States (Business/first Starting at $4500 and UP).....Don't know why the difference but I "don't look a gift horse in the mouth".......Maybe you use a different route....my is BKK/SFO

Yes, originating in Asia is always (usually) cheaper ex USA. My problem is my bookings are close in and usually the discount fare buckets are not available. I did score a flight in July for about $3600.... For the most part I do BKK/ATL, west coast always saves $400 or more.

The flying backwards doesn't bother me and the only time one can even tell one is sitting "backwards" is during take offs and landings when the plane is either accelerating or decelerating. At crushing altitude, one has no idea who is sitting backwards. The stepping over people is a pain but at least in biz class it's only one person and everyone cooperates as its just part of air travel. I'll stick with UA as I always take a seat upstairs and the price is right.

Yes, I'll take a seat upstairs on the 747 everyday of the week and twice on Sundays...... :)