How do I know if I've got a quality original helmet?

Addonvalue

Just bought a Bilmola but it didn't have the TIS or DOT or any quality-approval sticker on it. When I compared the helmet to what was shown on a youtube review on that particular model, it seemed the stamp on the box for the model was also different. Instead of saying: Model - Defender Sportage , it gave a model number like FP-6. Could someone tell me if I've been duped or is this just ignorance on my part? Seemed to come from a trustworthy source -- the shop only stocks Bilmola helmets . Kindly advise.

Whatchya pay for it?

Check the tags inside for the TIS logo, not that it means a whole lot.

The Chinese can copy anything. But they are generally good and smart enough to also copy things like the DOT or TIS logo. There may be no way to tell.

If it isn't TIS certified then it can't be legally used in Thailand.

Here is a couple of interesting threads on Bilmola and others.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/552599-new-helmets-available-at-sumet-cycle/page-2

http://www.tigersachsclub.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=655

Edited by NomadJoe

From my limited experience of TISI standards and their application.

The manufacturer or importer will submit products to TISI for testing/approval. Once this is done and it passes then TISI will issue a certification number. The manufacturer/importer may then buy TISI stickers from TISI with that certification number on them. The separate stickers are attached to usually the box so that the items may be sold retail in shops etc. I will check with my source but I do not think that the stickers are mandatory as long as the product has a certification number. Note here the manufacturer has to buy the stickers so can save money by not doing so or applying them to the product.

So your helmet may well be "produced to EEC/DOT/Snell standards" but if it was not destined for overseas sales and to be sold in Thailand then it will not need those stickers. Note I just checked my venerable Shoei and it also has a separate SNELL sticker but no EEC or DOT.

A product only needs TISI approval to be imported or sold. As no one is likely to check you don't need a TISI sticker to use the helmet.

Bilmola is not Arai/Shoei/Nolan/Scumberth etc so I would say it is unlikely to be a Chinese knock off.

Upside of all this I need a new liner as mine looks like it has been attacked by rats laugh.pngbah.gif

Edited by VocalNeal

Well, thanks guys! I'll save the links for next time. I've just bought the Bimolas -- the second one came with the TIS stickers..etc.., the guy gave a decent explanation, plus all the Bilmola booklets, guarantee, his card, receipts, his word.... The cost was the same as other shops, at 2,500 baht for the Defender Sportage. Well, it's done. Not more I can do at this point but will be declaring grace and protection over my bikers whenever they're out. Thanks for all the input, guys!