Anti-govt demonstrators call for rejection of ICJ ruling

webfact

Anti-govt demonstrators call for rejection of ICJ ruling

BANGKOK, 14 November 2013 (NNT) - The Network of Students and People for Reform of Thailand has issued a demand for the government to reject the ruling on the Phra Viharn case by the International Court of Justice (ICJ).

Core members of the network have asked Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and Army Chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha to deny the judgment by the ICJ as it awards Cambodia parts of the overlapping territory. They also suggested that representatives of the civil sector be enlisted as part of the sub-committee studying the ruling handed down on Monday.

In its demand, the network insisted that any agreement regarding the disputed area surrounding Phra Viharn Temple will need to be approved by Parliament and a public referendum first.

The group concluded by stating that the government must also withdraw the charter amendment bill on Section 190 of the Constitution before it seeks royal endorsement. The amendment on Section 190 would allow the government to sign international treaties without the need for public hearings or parliamentary approval.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-11-14 footer_n.gif

These mindless Thai sheep have no idea what they are talking about. Thailand won a technical victory over the one and a quarter square Kilometers of the Pra Viharn access land.

The finding of the International Court is that the overall four and half square Kilometers are Cambodian Sovereign Territory as was the finding in the original judgement half a century ago.

Further what is there not to understand.

The International Court have included a detailed proposal stating how the whole are can be shared peacefully in endorsed by Hun Sen and Yingluck in a amicable agreement.

what is there not to understand and accept?

The court did not decide that the 4.6 sq km is Cambodian in 1962 or now. They certainly don't have a proposal how the land can be shared. Also, Yingluck hasn't accepted the decision of the court.

It looks like you have a lot to understand.

These mindless Thai sheep have no idea what they are talking about. Thailand won a technical victory over the one and a quarter square Kilometers of the Pra Viharn access land.

The finding of the International Court is that the overall four and half square Kilometers are Cambodian Sovereign Territory as was the finding in the original judgement half a century ago.

The International Court have included a detailed proposal stating how the whole are can be shared peacefully in endorsed by Hun Sen and Yingluck in a amicable agreement.

there was an understanding how to peacefully share it for decades until Thaksin made a deal with his buddy Hun Sen.

But still the question is, is it worth the hassle? A few old stones.

• Like 2

there was an understanding how to peacefully share it for decades until Thaksin made a deal with his buddy Hun Sen.

My understanding was that the deal was an agreeable one.

As to the present situation it was started by the Yellow shirts and forced on the Government. Every thing was fine until Cambodia asked to have the Temple declared a World Heritage Site. Even though there was no debate what so ever about who's country the temple was located on the Useless Yellow Shirts saw it as a point they could use to becoming some thing again. They did it by forcing the mess on the government by means of stirring up national sentiment over four and a half square kilometers of useless land.

If there was a problem with the ownership of the land why were the people living in the area content with it?

Other than bringing unwanted bombs on to the people has any one asked them what they thought of it. Or for that matter the local Cambodians on the Cambodian side.

If war is what they want send their armies to fight it out in the Antarctica where innocent people will not get hurt. Or go ahead and fight it out in there own home's. Not where the people living there were perfectly happy with every thing.

In the final analyzes what has Thailand to gain by ignoring the ruling over accepting it and working with Cambodia on the free square kilometers of useless land.

• Like 2

A possible suggestion is to give the disputed / undecided portion of land to Thaksin as he badly wants to be elevated to a President or an Emperor. He is supposedly buddy buddy with Cambodia's Hun Sen and his sister is thought to be running Thailand so he shouldn't have much problem getting both to change the respective laws of their individual countries and pass the land to him, he can name it Muang Thaksin or that ever suits himself. Seems a win-win for both sides - gets him out of our hair and it should pacify him, a country to call his own and do what he likes with it. There should however be one proviso, citizens of Muang Thaksin are excluded from travel into / thru Thailand for any reason and all outstanding Thai warrants and court judgements stand and will be served should he ever stray into Thai territory.

Edited by Artisi

As to the present situation it was started by the Yellow shirts and forced on the Government. Every thing was fine until Cambodia asked to have the Temple declared a World Heritage Site. Even though there was no debate what so ever about who's country the temple was located on the Useless Yellow Shirts saw it as a point they could use to becoming some thing again. They did it by forcing the mess on the government by means of stirring up national sentiment over four and a half square kilometers of useless land.

If there was a problem with the ownership of the land why were the people living in the area content with it?

Other than bringing unwanted bombs on to the people has any one asked them what they thought of it. Or for that matter the local Cambodians on the Cambodian side.

If war is what they want send their armies to fight it out in the Antarctica where innocent people will not get hurt. Or go ahead and fight it out in there own home's. Not where the people living there were perfectly happy with every thing.

In the final analyzes what has Thailand to gain by ignoring the ruling over accepting it and working with Cambodia on the free square kilometers of useless land.

No it started with Cambodia canceling the joint administration of the area after Thaksin and Hun Sen met.

Before they called it overlapping area, didn't bother who is the real owner and did it together.

That should have keep secret. Than the Yellows saw it as chance to gain popularity again.....Than nationalists on both sides woke up....etc etc

Not to forget the the Cambodians placed landmines as well......

I don't see any logic neither from Thai nor from Cambodian side. PAD claimed that the real point is the disputed marine borders.

While I understand that these are extreme important if there is oil and/or gas, I can't connect these two problems together. The temple isn't on the coast......

• Like 1

No it started with Cambodia canceling the joint administration of the area after Thaksin and Hun Sen met.

Before they called it overlapping area, didn't bother who is the real owner and did it together.

That should have keep secret. Than the Yellows saw it as chance to gain popularity again.....Than nationalists on both sides woke up....etc etc

I don't see any logic neither from Thai nor from Cambodian side. PAD claimed that the real point is the disputed marine borders.

While I understand that these are extreme important if there is oil and/or gas, I can't connect these two problems together. The temple isn't on the coast......

I really can't comment on what Thaksin did or didn't do. All I know for sure there was no problem with the situation until Cambodia filed for World Heritage Status. At that point the mostly dead Yellow shirts saw a chance to regain some power and stirred up a lot of patriotic pride with out telling the facts and the alternatives. (peaceful co -management).

I am definatly not a PTPredshirt sympathizer but on this issue I do feel for them they wanted no part of it any more than the Dems did. It was and still is being forced on them by an out side force. In my opinion the best thing Yingluck can do now is drop the we won't accept the ICJ ruling and go on to explain what is truly happening and mention how there was no problem on the area until the yellow shirts started it.

Mention the possibilities of working with Cambodia to bring prosperity to the area. That would be in the form of tourism requiring private enterprise which I am sure would be there given the right settlement between the two countries.

This would also give Abhist a chance to show some real honesty and strength of character by joining her in the attempt to tell the nation the truth about the area. Being the opposition does not mean you can not support a good thing. The chance for Thailand to shine on the international stage is here and now.

All just my opinion of coursewai.gif

• Like 1

The Democratic Party saw the Phra Viharn Temple issue as leverage to gain back political power, forcing the issue into the International Court and embarassing the Yingluck administration. Thailand lost the ruling (as could have been predicted) and now Thailand needs to show the world community through its leadership that it is a mature, democratic nation capable of respecting the rule of law.

• Like 1

The Democratic Party saw the Phra Viharn Temple issue as leverage to gain back political power, forcing the issue into the International Court and embarassing the Yingluck administration. Thailand lost the ruling (as could have been predicted) and now Thailand needs to show the world community through its leadership that it is a mature, democratic nation capable of respecting the rule of law.

And so far, the current government is not showing much maturity in accepting the courts decision.

This would also give Abhist a chance to show some real honesty and strength of character by joining her in the attempt to tell the nation the truth about the area. Being the opposition does not mean you can not support a good thing. The chance for Thailand to shine on the international stage is here and now.

Dolly. I certainly agree with you that in reality this is a win for Thailand and Cambodia (as it should have been) it was after all just confirmation of what they already knew. And it actually would be a good time for Abhisit and the Democrats to sit down with PTP and talk about it and support the IJC ruling.

• Like 1

And they failed ... oops ... failure isn't allowed in local education system.

Yay ....... everyone/everything passed. No problem ... move along now.

I really can't comment on what Thaksin did or didn't do. All I know for sure there was no problem with the situation until Cambodia filed for World Heritage Status. At that point the mostly dead Yellow shirts saw a chance to regain some power and stirred up a lot of patriotic pride with out telling the facts and the alternatives. (peaceful co -management).

I am definatly not a PTPredshirt sympathizer but on this issue I do feel for them they wanted no part of it any more than the Dems did. It was and still is being forced on them by an out side force. In my opinion the best thing Yingluck can do now is drop the we won't accept the ICJ ruling and go on to explain what is truly happening and mention how there was no problem on the area until the yellow shirts started it.

Mention the possibilities of working with Cambodia to bring prosperity to the area. That would be in the form of tourism requiring private enterprise which I am sure would be there given the right settlement between the two countries.

Did I say some thing wrong here. I see longtaillarry likes my post.

I really thought it was an honest statement.

Where did I go wrong. Or is longtaillarry starting to see that every time Yingluck opens her mouth it is not necessarily the truth.