Border crossing mechanics

Mobaan

Have the "T" sticker ,car passport-now "how to do?"

Drive to Nong Khai to the friendship bridge ,keep left for car entries - and then ?

Do I still need to go to the walkup window to get my personal visa -or is there a separate one for car drivers .

I guess I will need Laos insurance ?

Do I buy that directly there ?

How much will it cost -per day , per week ?

Is there an alternative ? Can my Thai insurance cover this ,perhaps with an add on letter ?

Is there anything else one needs to know ,I have never done it like this before ?

How about on the Laos side ? Any particular procedures there that one needs to be aware of ?( other then driving on the right side of the road !)

• T sticker goes on back
  • You need get out to your car when u clear thai immigration, You will need the purple passport for ur car stamped by Thai immigration AND customs
  • You will need show your blue book and the info is entered into their computer
  • Enter Laos, buy your visa valid for 30 days
  • the purple book will be stamped enter into Laos valid for 15 days but can extend i am told , i never needed more than the 15 in my past 3 trips
  • they will charge you misc fees ( its around 500 baht or so) for various stamp/paperwork
  • You will need buy insurance ( I paid 350 baht for honda civic last july for 2 weeks) when you enter Laos.thai insurance not valid

Purplecarbook.jpg

Keep all papers as Police IF they stop you will ask for everything.

Its great to have your own car there and outside of Vientiane not much traffic. very good roads except for one area between Luang Prabang and Udomaxi

Edited by phuketrichard

• T sticker goes on back
  • You need get out to your car when u clear thai immigration, You will need the purple passport for ur car stamped by Thai immigration AND customs
  • You will need show your blue book and the info is entered into their computer
  • Enter Laos, buy your visa valid for 30 days
  • the purple book will be stamped enter into Laos valid for 15 days but can extend i am told , i never needed more than the 15 in my past 3 trips
  • they will charge you misc fees ( its around 500 baht or so) for various stamp/paperwork
  • You will need buy insurance ( I paid 350 baht for honda civic last july for 2 weeks) when you enter Laos.thai insurance not valid

Keep all papers as Police IF they stop you will ask for everything.

Its great to have your own car there and outside of Vientiane not much traffic. very good roads except for one area between Luang Prabang and Udomaxi

All I need to do is update my 90 day, can I just walk or drive and immediately U turn and return to Thailand?

I have a multi entry visa, oh and the wife wants to shop duty free.

What's the easiest and cheapest way other than not let the wife go shopping?

u leave ur car on the thai side, clear thai immigration, take the bus to the Laos immigration, buy ur visa, stamp in, turn around and stamp out

Never been in any Laos duty free so no idea what they have

Thais get 15 days visa exempt stamp

?? Thais get 30 days, Swiss, Russians and Luxembourg citizens get 15 day visa exempt entry into Laos.