Building A Gaming PC

Tonto21

Hi All
After seeing what's out there in the form of gaming computers (ready built PC) I'm not too impressed, (cost and ready built combination) so I've decided to build my own.

This will be my first attempted, I've had a bit of a read-up and with even my limited know-how, I don't see any major issues.
However, before every fall come the pride. So, I thought it would be a good idea to post this for the more experienced and experts out there to see what I intend to jam into a case.

Guy's I don't pretend to be an expert so please have a look, if anyone sees a glaring cock-up, incompatibility or a choke point......please feel free to tell me, or if you want to just offer an opinion on 'swap-outs'

As for the prices, the ones shown are current and off InvadeIT website in Thailand. There are a couple of items showing a 2nd price, these are prices from the USA. I work offshore, Gulf of Mexico, and will try and buy and bring with me the hi-cost items before flying home at the end of this month, but I have less than two hours to spare on land before flying out …….Anyone know a good outlet, (close to New Orleans airport) where I can get my parts?

Power Supplies   
1/ OCZ ZX Series 1000W Power Supply (OCZ-ZX1000W)                      
 6990 baht
OR
2/ Cooler Master V850 Fully Modular 850W Power Supply 80 PLUS Gold
 (RS-850-AFBA-G1)                                                                                        
6490 baht

Motherboards             
1/ Asus SABERTOOTH Z87 Socket LGA1150 / Z87 / 4 x DDR3 / 8 x SATA 6Gb/s / ATX                                                                                                                   
10290 baht… (USA 7900 baht)
OR
2/ Asus MAXIMUS VI EXTREME Socket LGA1150 / Z87 / 4 x DDR3 / 10 x SATA 6Gb/s / ATX       
15990 baht

Video Cards          
Zotac nVidia GeForce GTX770 2GB GDDR5 AMP! Edition (ZT-70303-10P)                          
15790 baht (USA 10000 baht)

Hard Drive
Am leaning towards a Solid State Drive,(SSD) not sure what to get?

Computer Cases           
Thermaltake Chaser A71 Full Tower Chassis USB 3.0 (VP400M1W2N) 

3990 baht

Sound Cards              
Steel Series Siberia USB 7.1 Sound Card                                                    
1490 baht

Fans & Heatsinks         
Prolimatech Megahalems Red Series CPU Cooler                                              
1950 baht

Memory                   
1/ G.Skill 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133MHz Non-ECC DIMM XMP [Sniper] (F3-2133C10D-16GSR)        
5750 baht
OR
2/ G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Non-ECC DIMM CL9 RipjawsZ XMP (F3-12800CL9Q-16GBZL)  
5750 baht

CPUs / Processors        Intel Core i7-4770K Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz) Haswell (BX80646I74770K)        
11690 baht (socket 1150)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CD / DVD Burners                          Blue-ray?

Computer Accessories                      Still looking

Monitor 20-24"? 2 off (wide screen)       Still looking

Thanks for any input
Tonto

You want to build a gaming pc? In my opinion you're spending way way too much money on psu,case,motherboard. I mean for that kind of money you can put r9 290 or gtx 780 in it.UNLESS you really want to have that expensive case,mobo,psu.Also even 8 gb of ram would be enough for gaming. 

In my opionion,if i want to get gaming pc i would get

i5 4670k - 7,500baht   (or fx8350 if you prefer amd)

cpu cooler -hyper 212 - 1,000b

1150 mobo - 4,500/5,000 baht

8gb(4x2) 1600mhz ram - 2,600b

gpu - r9 290 or gtx 780 - 18,000b  - it's much better than gtx 770( i would go for r9 290)

case- 1,500b

psu - 80+bronze 650/750w - 3,500b

1 or 2 tb hdd - 2.400b

ssd(120gb) if you want- 3,500b 

Buy if you eager to get one that you have choosen,it's a still a great pc.

But cutting back on some things like case,mobo,psu and buying better gpu will give much more performance in games

Edited by GotR1GHT
  • Like 2

cpu   -           i7 4770k -    11,500b

cpu cooler   -hyper 212 -  1,000b

mobo -       z87 extreme 4 - 5,000b

gpu  - r9 290X - 23,000  or gtx780TI

hdd  -      seagate baracuda 2tb - 2,400b

ssd  -      samsung 840evo        - 3,500b

ram -     8gb (4x2 1600mhz)  - 1-2 year later you can add more  -2,400b

psu  -     80plus bronzee seagate,xfx.corsair   650w/750w - 3,500b  (if you want to sli/crossfire get 750/850w)

case - 1,500b

dvd-rw  - 600b (get blueray only if you want to watch blueray movies from blueray disc)

about 57,000baht    

Gpu is most important for gaming and that r9 290x/gtx780TI will completely destroy gtx770.It is made for 4k resolution.If you have the money,get 2560x1440 monitor.(the price is about 14,000baht)

Edited by GotR1GHT

Hi 'GotR1GHT'

Thanks for the input, I see you couldn't resist and put a high end build in as well...55555, love it.

Where did you get your prices........was it off InvadeIT website in Thailand. Do you have any experience of this company...Are they any good?

As I said in my topic post I plan to get some bits in the states, however...that may go to the wind and I may just 'do it' when I get home.

I have to say, I like the idea of building a gaming PC that is smart and good value for money......But my head does get turned by power and the idea of building a data eating beast.......I need to read some more.

Hi 'GotR1GHT'

Thanks for the input, I see you couldn't resist and put a high end build in as well...55555, love it.

Where did you get your prices........was it off InvadeIT website in Thailand. Do you have any experience of this company...Are they any good?

As I said in my topic post I plan to get some bits in the states, however...that may go to the wind and I may just 'do it' when I get home.

I have to say, I like the idea of building a gaming PC that is smart and good value for money......But my head does get turned by power and the idea of building a data eating beast.......I need to read some more.

Like @jsixpack said,you should post on tomshardware.com/linustechtips.com or anandtech.com for more advice.

Yeah ,that build will play any new game max out,if you can go with 2560x1440 monitor,next gen games will look amazing on it(just have good gpu/cpu to back it up).

Yeah,that's a good plan to get in states,hardware will be cheaper there + you can get games like battlefield 4 for free bundled with r9 290x.

I use invade-it just because website is better than others.You should also check jedicool and jib.co.th.

On the side note,you could build 35,000baht pc(1080p monitor included) that will max out all games in foreseable future.Don't try to futureproof your pc by buying latest and greatest because new tech comes out annually.Few months more new gpu's from nvidia will come out and you could probably get gtx 860 for 200$ with performance as gtx780. The best thing is to buy what you need now and upgrade later. 

Hi Guys...I have modified my build ....again, (new list 200000012) it's all good!

I am under the gun now....I have to order what I want today via an American work mate, he's getting the parts from www.newegg.com and I will have the bits for the day I go home. What have I gone for...... Asus, maximus Vl Hero Motherboard $204.99. GPU, GTX780 $519.99. CPU, i5 4670K $239.99. SSD, Samsung 840 EVO $99.99 and.....Memory, G.SKILL X Series 16GB, (2x8GB) $169.99.......The rest I will get when back home, local in Chiangmai or Internet.

I will look closely at any case I think of getting, (last PC used to keep over heating).....I want good cooling in this one, I've not looked at keyboard or mouse yet.....That's next...But yes back light would be good, I will also be looking at a good monitor to round it all off.

I will post how I get on and the final build parts.

Thanks again guys.

Hi Guys...I have modified my build ....again, (new list 200000012) it's all good!

I am under the gun now....I have to order what I want today via an American work mate, he's getting the parts from www.newegg.com and I will have the bits for the day I go home. What have I gone for...... Asus, maximus Vl Hero Motherboard $204.99. GPU, GTX780 $519.99. CPU, i5 4670K $239.99. SSD, Samsung 840 EVO $99.99 and.....Memory, G.SKILL X Series 16GB, (2x8GB) $169.99.......The rest I will get when back home, local in Chiangmai or Internet.

I will look closely at any case I think of getting, (last PC used to keep over heating).....I want good cooling in this one, I've not looked at keyboard or mouse yet.....That's next...But yes back light would be good, I will also be looking at a good monitor to round it all off.

Thanks again guys.

Just don't forget cpu cooler.Pc looks beastly. 

I'll probably make new one somewhere next year,as for now i still don't see any new next gen game that's worth buying a new pc.

Edited by GotR1GHT

Thanks again guys.

Much better!

Re: the keyboard,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=backlit+mechanical+keyboard&N=-1&isNodeId=1

I like a compact keyboard myself, so that the mouse can be closer in:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=CM+Storm+QuickFire+TK&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Once you have one of these, you'll wonder how you lived with it.

You need to consider the type of MX switch best for you. Blue is great for both typing and gaming, but is noisy--no problem if you're alone. Brown is about the same but less noisy, etc.

Info here:

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-choose-the-best-mechanical-keyboard-and-why-you-511140347

http://www.geek.com/chips/visual-guide-expertly-explains-mechanical-keyboard-switches-1532745/

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/mechanical_switches.php

Thailand doesn't have many mechanical keyboards, so best to bring it with you. Cheaper, too.

But good cases ARE widely available here, no problem.

Hi Guys..

Yes CPU cooler.......It's on my list

Keyboard and Mouse....I will look in Thailand, if I can't find anything, well I'll be rotating back and forth state side every month, I can get what I want then.

Thanks for the web sites........

I will post up dates.

Edited by Tonto21

• 3 months later...

Thanks folks for putting up all the info and links on building a decent gamer PC thumbsup.gif

Here is my purchase from JIB [inside tuc.com - Pattaya]  Total Price 60,580 baht

Hopefully it will keep me going until the Steam consules get cheap & popular   smile.png

cpu   -   Intel  i5 4670k                    7,690  

mobo -  AsRock  Z87 Extreme 6      6,550 

gpu  -   Nvidia GTX 780                 21,000 

hdd  -   WD Blue 1Tb                       1,990

ssd  -   Samsung 840 evo 250Gb    8,700

ram -   Sniper 8Gb 4x2                    3,090

psu  -  Raider FSP 790750w           3,500   

case - Cougar                                  1,450

dvd-rw -  LG                                       560

Windows Home - Basic                     3,050

Generic Keyboard /Mouse/2x Fans 3,000

Total Price 60,580 baht

Haswell run ridiculously hot especially on BF4 and some other games so you need a decent cooler or you need to delid it or both depending if you overclock....you live in a hot climate get a case that can accommodate a twin 140mm fan AIO water cooler I recommend and NZXT Kraken x60.

Memory wise I you didn't specify CAS latency or RAM speed, the speed is not a major issue at all the most important is CAS latency I would recommend corsair vengeance 1600Mhz @ CAS 9-9-9-24

GTX770 I would recommend the 2GB gigabyte Windforce OC its quiet and one of the fastest 770's out there...you can opt for 4GB version but TBH no games out now utilise that amount of memory so maybe best get a 2GB and if you wish to upgrade in the future get the same card and have them run in SLI.... 2x 770's out perform 1 780 and also cheaper.

Ahhhh just read you already purchased, get a cooler the intel cooler is junk.

Here is a list off a much cooler sandybridge 2500k.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-H75-CPU-Cooler-Review/1834/6

Edited by rhythmworx

Good info,  rhythmworx ,  thanks

I was thinking about cooling and anti-dust measures.

Actually a CPU cooler was on the list ...not expensive at 1200baht. 

However the techsales said 'no need'.... and I thought mnnn... I'll revisit that..........

Just reading and digesting your post for now.thumbsup.gif

I have also been digging into what to get for my next PC:

Below prices are also from JIB expect sound card.

Main Board: socket 1150-AsRock Z87 Pro4= 4300 baht

Power supply: 750W app. 3500 baht (not sure if 750W is enough?depends on grafics card really)

CPU: Intel i7 4770 = 10800 (I don't want to overclock so no need for a K model)

Hard disk 1: Samsung 250GB 840EVO SSD= 6650 baht

Hard disk 2 & 3: 2TB WD sata III 64mb (green) 2 X 3000= 6000 baht

Software: WIN 8.1 64 bit OEM= 3500 baht

Grafics card: AMD Radeon R9 270X =7800 baht or maybe wait for the new low powered Haswell cards from Nvidia?

RAM: 2X8 GB= 6000 baht

CPU cooler: app 1500 baht

Fan Case= 3000-5000 baht.

Sound card= app 3000 baht

Total, just below 60K baht.

I know the grafics card is not the best in the world but will most likely be okay for my use as my PC will be used for many things.

I have also been digging into what to get for my next PC:

Below prices are also from JIB expect sound card.

Main Board: socket 1150-AsRock Z87 Pro4= 4300 baht

Power supply: 750W app. 3500 baht (not sure if 750W is enough?depends on grafics card really)

CPU: Intel i7 4770 = 10800 (I don't want to overclock so no need for a K model)

Hard disk 1: Samsung 250GB 840EVO SSD= 6650 baht

Hard disk 2 & 3: 2TB WD sata III 64mb (green) 2 X 3000= 6000 baht

Software: WIN 8.1 64 bit OEM= 3500 baht

Grafics card: AMD Radeon R9 270X =7800 baht or maybe wait for the new low powered Haswell cards from Nvidia?

RAM: 2X8 GB= 6000 baht

CPU cooler: app 1500 baht

Fan Case= 3000-5000 baht.

Sound card= app 3000 baht

Total, just below 60K baht.

I know the grafics card is not the best in the world but will most likely be okay for my use as my PC will be used for many things.

Are you budilding a gaming only pc?

You could get i5 4670k and r9 280x. Also get 8gb and upgrade later.BF4 64player is using about 4.5 gb ram for me so 8gb is plenty enough for now and by the time you'll need more than 8gb ddr4 will come out.(if you're doing video editing etc. then get 16gb now).Get a sound card only if you're into some sound pro editing etc(or even pro gamer),for normal gaming usage mainboard sound is enough.

The most important thing,that i would do,is buy i5 4670k + r9 280x/gtx 770 rather than i7 + 270x.

You could get i5 4670k and r9 280x. Also get 8gb and upgrade later.BF4 64player is using about 4.5 gb ram for me so 8gb is plenty enough for now and by the time you'll need more than 8gb ddr4 will come out.(if you're doing video editing etc. then get 16gb now).Get a sound card only if you're into some sound pro editing etc(or even pro gamer),for normal gaming usage mainboard sound is enough.

The most important thing,that i would do,is buy i5 4670k + r9 280x/gtx 770 rather than i7 + 270x.

Thanks for you inputs.

No my PC is used for many things, watch a lot of HD movies on my Dell U2713HM and listen to/watch music. I intend to buy some good speakers later on.

Thanks for you inputs.

No my PC is used for many things, watch a lot of HD movies on my Dell U2713HM and listen to/watch music. I intend to buy some good speakers later on.

As for case fans if you like quiet and good performance 'Be Quiet - Silent Wings 2' are good fans if you can get hold of them if not them the Corsair SP series are decent just a little bit noisier though. 

If you don't want to spend anymore for a cooler the best in that price range is probably the coolermaster hyper evo212, I do recommend you get a fairly high end cooler if you want to prolong the life of your CPU, Corsair H75 is just over 3000 if you want water cooling or for air Noctua NH-D14 is similar price (wont fit with high profile ram though eg...corsair vengeance/dominator with heat fins) and check you have clearance from the CPU to the side of the case it's HUGE. 

A 750 watt PSU will be fine.

Edited by rhythmworx

Thanks guys,

Yes I have found out that cooling of the CPU is important. My office in the house is without AC app 85% of the time and only in the hot month will I turn it on so the room temp can be close to 30 Deg.C sometimes.

I am not on any fixed price, if you guys think it's worth getting a water cooler for the CPU I might just get that.

The list I wrote is for what I think I want to buy so nothing is sure/firm yet.

Thanks for you inputs.

What i meant was if you use for other things like video editing,heavy programming,heavy photoshop,rendering,streaming and stuff like that then i7 will help you.But if you do other(basic) things like watch movies,play games,basic editing/photoshop then you will not notice difference between i5 and i7.

Edited by GotR1GHT

What i meant was if you use for other things like video editing,heavy programming,heavy photoshop,rendering,streaming and stuff like that then i7 will help you.But if you do other(basic) things like watch movies,play games,basic editing/photoshop then you will not notice difference between i5 and i7.

Yes you are right, but if I buy the i7 4770 I think my system will be more future proof and it's only app 3000 baht more and should last for +5 years.

I am more concerned about the grafics card, the new Nvidia Haswell looks promising with the very low power cons. but so far they have only released a 150$ very basic one but from what I read on the i-net there are much more to come but when? 

Yes you are right, but if I buy the i7 4770 I think my system will be more future proof and it's only app 3000 baht more and should last for +5 years.

I am more concerned about the grafics card, the new Nvidia Haswell looks promising with the very low power cons. but so far they have only released a 150$ very basic one but from what I read on the i-net there are much more to come but when? 

Note that i7 has also 4 cores(like i5) but with hyperethreading and this feature is not used by games yet.Maybe it should be more futureproof,but if you have to choose between better cpu vs gpu it's always better to go with better gpu because that will give you more fps in games:).

Also i think you meant Nvidia Maxwell(haswell is intel's cpu).I think it's good thing to wait that and get something like gtx860.Reason is that it's gonna be new architecture,so gtx860 SHOULD be powerful as gtx 780(or more).But if you can't wait, current nvidia 7xx series is also great.I've got gtx760 and i max out all games at 1080p so it definitely still has decent power for next gen.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Hi!
I looking for build a pc for games also, but i dont want expend so much, someone have a idea about how much is the minimum for build a pc to play well the 2014 games here in thailand and where i can buy the parts?

Thank u!

600W PSU for 1,000bht will do the job just as well.
50bht fan hung over the CPU fan will do just as good a job as an expensive heatsink.
50bht fan over the graphics, GPU also adds a lot of cooling.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Almost all the problems in higher end computers are due to overheating, a few extra cheap fans placed here and there make a lot of difference.

Future proofing,
Waste of time, when you get to the future, all the parts you bought now will be obsolete.
Better to buy cheaper now and new in the future. Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

600W PSU for 1,000bht will do the job just as well.
50bht fan hung over the CPU fan will do just as good a job as an expensive heatsink.
50bht fan over the graphics, GPU also adds a lot of cooling.

Just a couple of thoughts.
Almost all the problems in higher end computers are due to overheating, a few extra cheap fans placed here and there make a lot of difference.

Future proofing,
Waste of time, when you get to the future, all the parts you bought now will be obsolete.
Better to buy cheaper now and new in the future.

I wouldn't be saving too much on psu,i would say some decent psu for 1500-2000baht would be enough.It's hot in here:) Something like fx6300,r9 270x 8gb ram would do great job. But depends how much you want to spend?

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought new HP Envy 700 340d.

I7,8GB memory,2TB disk,GeForceGTX745 4GB.

3 years on site warranty

added SSD kingston 240GB

total:38200b

Works like a rocket,no noise

Why bother to build one PC for my gaming purpose with such a beast on the market and 3 years on site warranty.

Anyhow curious to see HP techs coming to my condo????(hope I will not need them hum)

Just bought new HP Envy 700 340d.

I7,8GB memory,2TB disk,GeForceGTX745 4GB.

3 years on site warranty

added SSD kingston 240GB

total:38200b

Works like a rocket,no noise

Why bother to build one PC for my gaming purpose with such a beast on the market and 3 years on site warranty.

Anyhow curious to see HP techs coming to my condo????(hope I will not need them hum)

I'm sorry but that's a huge mistake.Just to be clear here,you payed 38,000 baht for that pc?wow

i7 is a great cpu but as always pre-made pc's gpu(what's most important for gaming) is terrible. You could have made 3x times better pc with the same amount of money. As for warranty,even if you make your own pc,the parts that you would buy can easily surpass 5+ years. Something like i7 4790(for gaming i7 is really not that important,you can even go for i5 4690 which is 3000baht cheaper) + r9 290x or gtx 780 would give you 3x times better performance.I'm talking here about the difference in playing on 25fps vs 60-70 stable.BF4 gtx 780 runs at 70-80fps while gtx750 gets about 30-35.So gtx 745 would be about 25-30.

Also,4gb in gtx 745 is waste of vram imho.

Edited by GotR1GHT
  • Like 1

Some good advice in this thread so far. I'm pretty sure you'll end up with a very nice gaming machine.

As for peripherals, they are actually not hard to find in Thailand. I recently discovered that there's a good selection of gaming gear at The Mall Bang Khae but any major outlets in your area should be fine. I can heartily recommend Razer for peripherals. I was hesitant at first because of mixed opinions/reviews but now I'm very attached to the items I have:

Razer BlackWidow ultimate mechanical keyboard 5000baht (A bit pricey but it's really nice to use. Note that this is a pretty big item so if you're short on desk space be wary. I previously had a tournament style keyboard without the keypad but found that even though I don't do a lot with numbers I missed having it very often). Another option would be the TTesports Poseidon. It has a smaller footprint, nice key action and blue backlighting but no macro functions.

Razer Death Adder 2013. A fantastic mouse. Good sturdy construction with quality materials and plenty of tweaking options. If you want more than 5 buttons go for something else, there are several good Logitech ones available. Used generic mouse/keyboards for a long time but since I've been using the good stuff I could never go back.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

While we're on the topic could you guys suggest the model number of some hi-rez monitors.

I am looking for something like DELL U2412M24

Also I have used Samsung in the past.

Agree 100% about Razor. I am very happy with their products.